Hello....Picked up a stray and looking for advice!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Postby Megan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:28 am

She is too cute!! She looks like a very sweet AND happy dog!
Megan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Azarias » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:34 pm

Nice post Mesha,
Azarias

Postby ripley6 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:14 am

Bless your heart for taking her in - and for being responsible and getting her spayed!! She looks like a real sweetheart - beautiful, indeed, and great smile :inlove: Big welcome to the board! :hi

Since you have gone to all the trouble of the vet's bills, I would also microchip or tatoo her to identify her as yours. It would be horrible if the irresponsible previous owner came up and tried to take her - the chip or tatoo would speak in your favor as the proper person to care for her, if you know what I mean . . . It has been said on here before and I totally agree: a person who does care enought to have some sort of tags/chip/tatoo on their pet does not care enough about the dog to provide the means to find them in case of emergency, like getting loose or stolen, and doesn't deserve the provilege of ownership.

- also, you do have another collar besides the choke - ? :)
ripley6
Forum Junky

Little stray pit

Postby Janna » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:07 pm

First off what a wonderful thing you did taking her in! :thumbsup: I would say the most important thing for you to do right away is read, read, read. Find out all you can about this breed to better prepare yourself for training. That has been the ticket for me with my dogs. I would suggest The Working Pitbull by Diane Jessup, check out fullybully.com and workingpitbull.com if you haven't already. Also just as important a daily exercise regimen so she gets all her little bugs out. Obedience class is a really good thing, it will help to socialize her with other dogs. You should also try to start crating her in a vari kennel, especially when she's in the car it sounds like. I crate my pits for a few hours everyday and I always know they are safe when they are in there. Also it's a good place for her to go that is just her space. Most pitbulls take to crating quickly and easily. With dedication and the right attitude your wife will come around soon i'm sure. You will just need to show her that it can work and that this is a wonderful breed for your whole family. Good luck :peace:
Janna

Postby Susie's Pit Crew » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:19 pm

Awww! She's adorable!

:welcome:

Thanks for taking such great care of her!
Susie's Pit Crew

Postby StrayPit » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:17 pm

Thanks again for all the kind words. Good idea on the chip - I called the vet and they said they could do it for a nominal fee. I wish I had thought of it before I had her spayed; would have been easier to do while she was under -- oh well, I guess I can't think of everything in advance!

She's doing very well. I haven't purchased a crate of any sort, and am debating what to do. I'll look at the brand suggested. I have a side yard that's about 6.5' wide by 30 or so' long - 6-8 foot privacy fence on 2 sides, house on the other, 6.5' opening on the 4th. I dropped by Lowe's earlier and am considering building a wood gate on the other side, to provide something smaller / more secure than the whole yard. (One side of my fence has a 2mm gap between the ground and the bottom fence - cake for her to dig if she figured it out. My plan is to either bury 8" steel landscaping between ground and fence - OR get an electric fence for the perimeter of the yard.)

I checked out workingpitbulls.com, and like the idea of a kennel for the garage at night - the wife still isn't comfortable with the dog inside, but I think that would be a good interim compromise.

Thanks again everyone for all the help. And to answer the question about the choke chain, that's what she came with! :) I was at Petsmart the other day buying food/kong/flea treatment/signing up for obedience, and didn't know her neck size. I do now, so that should be fixed shortly! Not that the chain does any good - I take her on walks and I think she'd rather choke to death than stop pulling!
StrayPit

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:11 pm

Choke chains rarely do any good, and can actually cause quite a bit of damage to the dog. If she's a wicked puller and you don't want to invest the time to train her on a flat collar, you can get a prong collar at any local petstore. They look wicked, but they really don't do any damage. I've used them on my Pulling Hounds and they work wonders...just make sure (this goes for the choker too) that the collar is right up on top of the neck, right under the ears....otherwise it won't work and can hurt the dog.

As for pits with kids...well...check out the gallary. lol My aunt's pit bull, Boba, who isn't the most sound pit bull in the world, will melt for any kid. Her human brothers, Noah who is almost 6 and Moses (don't ask) who is almost 2 hug her, prod at her when they think nobody is looking, lay on her, play with her...and she LOVES it. Moses favorite game is hide, than run up and flop on Boba. She's less than pleased, but just gives you a look like "Man, I love this kid, but you gotta make him stop this crap."

That being said, one of the golden rules of responsible dog ownership is to never leave dogs and kids alone together...never....regardless of what breed the dog is...mostly because kids are just plain evil. lol And, as with any new dog, make sure they really do get along....I don't blame your wife either. I LOVE pit bulls and would still be uber cautious with ANY new dog around my kids (if I had any). Trust your judgement, but do keep your eyes open. Sooner or later, she'll come around and the dog will probably steal your spot on the bed. Fair warning.
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby pitbullforever » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:55 pm

:welcome: she's very cute you'll find lots of good info here. i may suggest getting the misses to look at the info too maybe someday she'll let her live inside with you. :peace:
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby mesha » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:41 am

There is a leash called the Gentle Lead or something like that. Sugars trainer recommended it for her because she liked to pull. It is AWESOME! I highly recommend it. It doesnt inflict pain to them at all. it is like a harness for their head that a leash attaches too. they have them at petsmart and petco. at first they try to pull it off their nose with their paw, but not for long. sugar is used to it and i can actually walk her without my husbands help now
mesha

Postby pitbullforever » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:33 pm

mesha wrote:There is a leash called the Gentle Lead or something like that. Sugars trainer recommended it for her because she liked to pull. It is AWESOME! I highly recommend it. It doesnt inflict pain to them at all. it is like a harness for their head that a leash attaches too. they have them at petsmart and petco. at first they try to pull it off their nose with their paw, but not for long. sugar is used to it and i can actually walk her without my husbands help now

my parents have a gentle lead for their dog too they really do work GREAT!!!! :peace:
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby Lenne » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:17 am

look healthy!
good luck wit your new dog!!
Lenne

Previous

Return to Introductions