Hello from GA

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello from GA

Postby Grey » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:14 pm

Hi there!
I found this forum while trying to find out what happened with the proposed BSL in GA this week. This site is the first and only place I found that could tell me what happened.

I have two dogs, a red-nose pit mix named Stuie, and a Shepherd mix named Cookie, both female.

Stuie followed me home about four years ago. Her pittie grin and incrediby hyper personality grew on us and we wound up keeping her. She's much calmer now, very definitely the "Boss" over Cookie. Her little bag of tricks includes opening doors and walking Cookie. She also loves to problem solve. Her favorite time of day is bedtime - she snuggles between us - and if we are five minutes later than normal in going to bed she just sits there with her chin on the edge of the mattress, staring at us (she isn't allowed on the bed until we say so).

Cookie was abandoned by our tenants about a year ago. We had evicted them and they opted to leave her behind. We found her three days after they had moved out, one scared 5-month old puppy. She had been abused and still has a few health issues from the cat food they always gave her. She is the biggest teddy bear, and the laziest, dog I have ever seen. Her energy level has greatly increased since we started feeding raw though, so maybe I cannot call her lazy forever.

I am a graphic artist who works from home, and my husband is a special education teacher. We just moved to Georgia from hot and humid central Florida - we definitely like it better here!

I am a learning advocate for pit bulls. Stuie was our first brush with these great dogs and since then, I've had six pit bulls or pit mixes show up at my door, skinny and looking for help. I'm happy to say they all have great homes now with people who understand and love the breed.

Grey

Postby heather » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Welcome--I live in Athens, we really need to plan a get together. I have met people in WA state, but very few from here. Your dogs are beautiful. That is so sad about Cookie--i think tenants do that often--awful. I am so glad that you have rescued them. I am so glad you heard about the forum. I tell everyone. :hi :welcome:
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby jakebeeson » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:32 pm

Adorable dogs.
I am also a graphic artist and a dog fanatic. check out my thread with pictures of my dogs http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23005
jakebeeson

Postby Grey » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:48 am

That's so funny! Stuie winks too. I haven't had the time to do any drawings of the mutts, that's so cool that you have! All my creative energy of late goes into remodeling this house we bought and my advertising clients!

I'm all for a get-together, Heather! Meeting other people with dogs they take care of would be quite welcome since we moved here. We've had a lot of trouble taking our daily walks because there are so many dogs running loose, and not all are friendly. The girls would LOVE to play with some nice dogs!
Grey

Postby heather » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:27 am

you see the park in my avatar? that is a private dog park in Athens. There are three--one dollar per dog per hour. we go 4 times a week and they just run off steam!!!
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby Grey » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:21 pm

Wow, that's awesome! My girls have never been to a dog park, I'd probably take them around slow at first. Cookie gets overwhelmed pretty easily but I think once she saw all the other dogs having fun she'd be all over it! Stuie I know would have a blast.
Grey

Postby dra6onpit » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:11 pm

Another Georgian! Welcome! I am all for the get together! We took our kids to Sweetwater State Park a couple of weeks ago for a hike and a swim. That might be a good place too but then again kind of unfair considering it is about 10 min from my house! Whatever the plans, we will be there with bells on!
dra6onpit
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BullyBreedLover » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:03 pm

WELCOME! :))
BullyBreedLover

Postby pitbullgrl » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:05 pm

:welcome: :doggie:
pitbullgrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Grey » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:53 pm

Cool! I don't know where Sweetwater Park is but I'm about an hour and a half north of Atlanta. Once I hit the Interstate it's really only about 45 minutes to the northern end. Red Top Mountain is supposed to have some good trails. I've been working with Cookie to understand some trail commands. Stuie still thinks too much with her nose to be a great trail dog (she pulls, but only on a trail).

We're defintely hikers & campers! Maybe when the weather cools a little we can have some fun! There are so many state parks in GA that we've been to, and many we haven't. It'd be cool to put together a pit bull camping group that goes around the state!
Grey

Postby dra6onpit » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:03 pm

ohhh wouldn't it fun to do a camping trip? Sweetwater is in Douglasville (about 20 mi W of ATL on I-20) but I am up for where ever. (as soon as it cools down a little bit) :)
dra6onpit
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TopesLexAndNova » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:59 am

Welcome!!! We also live in GA. In Bethlehem.

Those dog parks in Athens where are they located?Ive never heard of them???
TopesLexAndNova
Matured Bully

Postby Grey » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:31 am

Oh we definitely have to wait for the weather to cool off some. Can't have overheated dogs or people! Gives us time to really plan out a camping trip tho.
Grey

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:55 am

Welcome!

I'm a special ed teacher too.
I find that similar behavior modification strategies that work with the kids are great for the dogs too LOL I'm sure your hubby feels that way too :thumbsup:
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Grey » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:46 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Welcome!

I'm a special ed teacher too.
I find that similar behavior modification strategies that work with the kids are great for the dogs too LOL I'm sure your hubby feels that way too :thumbsup:

Yeah but sometimes he still tries to "reason" with the dogs. It's funny to hear him talking to them like that. lol. But yes, sometimes he comes up with interesting strategies that do work. roflmao
Grey

Return to Introductions