im a new pup in the kennel

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
blackgator22

im a new pup in the kennel

Postby blackgator22 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:02 am

hi

im Ashton Bell im from Mi I currently own one pitbull unreg. im also in college and welcome any advice that will help me become a better owner and eventually become a breeder as well as a veterinarian

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:05 am

Welcome to the forum. We love to see pictures (hint,hint)!

I'm sure you will learn a TON here. I look forward to seeing you around.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:06 am

Welcome! Is this your first APBT?

blackgator22

nope

Postby blackgator22 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:09 am

no its my third my first was stolen and i had to sell my second because i keep when i went to college my friends mom is keeping my pit bull envy at her house until i get out of college

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:13 pm

Welcome. :hi The only advise I can give you on becoming a veterinarian is years of school. As far as becoming a breeder, well, that too will take years and lots of learning to master. You have to keep an open mind to any advise about breeding people on this forum give you whether you agree with it or not, don't think you know it all about breeding just because you read a book or a vet tells you your dog is healthy enough to breed or friends and family want a puppy from your dog because it's pretty. Before you get into breeding try rescuing first to see if breeding is still something you want to do once you realize how big of a pet overpopulation problem we have and how overbred Pit Bulls are. If you can rescue and breed responsibly to improve the breed then you can obtain Sainthood. ;)

blackgator22

thanks

Postby blackgator22 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:35 pm

thank you for the advice and i will keep an open mind about breeding. I welcome any advice that will increase my knowledge of the breed. wat exactly is rescusing like a foster paret type thing

Chessiet

Re: thanks

Postby Chessiet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:43 pm

blackgator22 wrote:thank you for the advice and i will keep an open mind about breeding. I welcome any advice that will increase my knowledge of the breed. wat exactly is rescusing like a foster paret type thing

Rescuing is a general term for people who work with adoption/placement groups, and also go into shelters (usually "kill-shelters") to get the abandoned dogs out of there and into a safer place before they're put down.

I have more experience in the greyhound end of it, where the rescue groups also worked with the dog racing tracks to "rescue" retired runners before they get put down, but the principal is the same.

You should look around for some pit rescue groups in your area and volunteer with them. It'll be an eye-opening experience.

slechner

Postby slechner » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:50 pm

fostering is providing a home environment while a pitty is waiting for a permanent home. it's a lot of work, but very rewarding.

blackgator22

ok

Postby blackgator22 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:55 pm

ok keep typing the info im reading

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Re: thanks

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:56 pm

Chessiet wrote:Rescuing is a general term for people who work with adoption/placement groups, and also go into shelters (usually "kill-shelters") to get the abandoned dogs out of there and into a safer place before they're put down.

You should look around for some pit rescue groups in your area and volunteer with them. It'll be an eye-opening experience.

Or if you find a stray or help get an animal out of a really bad situation and foster it until it can be adopted into a new home.

It definitely opened my eyes to what's really going on with animals, especially Pits.

slechner

Postby slechner » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:57 pm

just contact your local rescues and they'll let you know what they need. as far as searching for a rescue, www.petfinder.com and your zip code is a good start. best of luck!

even if you can't foster, they can probably use help in other ways (dog-walking, transports, help with training, fund-raising, tabling at events, etc.).

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:22 pm

Welcome to the forum! Wow, a vet! I had thought about that when I was younger, but I lack the stomach to do the ickier parts of the job.

If you are serious about becoming a GOOD breeder, this forum can help you toward that end. There are lots of heads here packed with good info. Be warned, though, that we expect a lot out of breeders of this breed, for good reason. Breeding responsibly is a lot of work, a lot of time and money, and probably not something you're going to be ready to do for a while, but that's okay. Its better to wait until you can do it the right way, than to forge ahead and get yourself labeled a BYB (backyard breeder).

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:28 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:Welcome to the forum! Wow, a vet! I had thought about that when I was younger.
If you are serious about becoming a GOOD breeder, this forum can help you toward that end. There are lots of heads here packed with good info. Be warned, though, that we expect a lot out of breeders of this breed, for good reason. Breeding responsibly is a lot of work, a lot of time and money, and probably not something you're going to be ready to do for a while, but that's okay. Its better to wait until you can do it the right way, than to forge ahead and get yourself labeled a BYB (backyard breeder).

I second that! :thumbsup:

ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby ripley6 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:27 pm

:welcome:

Hi! You can see a lot of dogs that people on the board are trying to help in the Rescue section - you will want to save each and every one of those remarkable dogs . . .

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:11 pm

welcome:)

ripley you just said it..:( i wanta keep everyone i see..lol..

Return to “Introductions”