new and need some help, immediately!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
bullydad
Newborn Bully

new and need some help, immediately!

Postby bullydad » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:20 am

I have a 21 month old Female Amstaff. She is EVERYTHING to me! But I dont understand what is wrong with her. She LOVES me and everyone she knows so much. She ALWAYS wants to be snuggling and petted by everyone she knows. It is so wierd because this is where the problem begins:

She hates strangers. I mean hates them. I am a VERY responsible owner. I have a 6 ft fence and keep her in the house and put a muzzle on her if I take her out of the yard. She was not always like this. She was always a bit dominant when she was a puppy. I lived in an apartment complex up until about 7 months ago. This couple upstairs (who are a**holes to everyone and every dog) used to complain every day about me and everyone else. Well, they worked for the complex and had keys to my and everyones apartments. More than a few occasions I had suspected that they came into my apartment when I wasnt home. They are the FIRST people my dog ever hated. I feel like they picked on her and tormented her when she was a puppy. I once caught the man looking into the window of the room I kept her in when i wasnt home.

Anyways, I love this dog soooooo much and so does everyone who knows her. People will say to me "no way is she aggressive towards other people". But she is. Ive seen it first hand.

I read about a boot camp in my area that GUARANTEES results. I am going to give them a call. Please, youre help is appreciated.

enokoner
Newborn Bully

Postby enokoner » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:35 am

Training would be a first step. Moving, if possible, would be a next step.

Helping your girl control her animosty towards strangers through training should be a must. The other step is to slowly, emphasis on slowly, expose her to strangers and strange environments that will not hurt her.

Never put her in a situation where she has the opportunity to wreak havoc on another person. This would surely ruin your chances of rehabilitation.

Good luck and get out of the environment with the nasty neighbors

Vitaliy

Postby Vitaliy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:36 am

I am really sorry to say this but: I feel that it is absolutely ridiculous that you as a responsible adult are paying rent and have to worry about people literally just walking into your apartment, and especially questioning if those people did anything to the dog. I suggest if you ever see someone peeping at your window, feel someone was in your house, or anything like that, call the police. Immediately get up and go to a hardware store of sorts and get new locks.

As far as your dog goes, I suggest that you do extra socializing with her. Take her for her regular walk, perhaps with some of your friends, and other social circles that she knows and let her slowly get used to people again. I do not see a reason for any boot camp.

bullydad
Newborn Bully

Postby bullydad » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:37 am

im out of the place with the nasty neighbors....i have my own house and yard now.

Vitaliy

Postby Vitaliy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:37 am

That would be irresponsible for me to say that she does not need any professional help. Do find a trainer for her but before anything research on the persons background – I have came across tons of trainers that do nothing but beat the dog into listening thus making the situation so much more.

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:45 am

encourage any new person she meets to completly ignore her until she seems comfortable with them. I mean they shouldn't even glance at her, tell them to keep their attention on you. You should give a correction, like a leash pop (not a hard one! you don't want to hurt her neck, just get her attention on you.) and give her a sit command, or a leave it command, what ever she is familar with. This is a good emergency start, but I would definitly look for a professional trainer, that is experianced with bull breeds.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:52 am

This is NOT proper pit bull temperment. Please contact an animal behaviorist who has experience with pit bulls to have your girl evaluated and can help you make a responsible desicion about her. :sad:

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:36 pm

Welcome..and ditto to what everyone else said.

heatherb
Newborn Bully

Postby heatherb » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:22 pm

welcome!

noway

Postby noway » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:40 pm

sounds all too familiar, good luck 4 the future, im happy to hear you got outta there!

Return to “Introductions”