Hello I'm new!!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
AUSDOGG_72

Hello I'm new!!

Postby AUSDOGG_72 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:57 pm

Hello to all on this forum!! I have been studying the breed since 1998. A good fried of mine had a nice brindle female. I new iI need to do my research and I have learned all about temperment, confirmation, but never really learned wich lines were the better lines. I have been talkiing to a breeder who has saron/hemphill-wilder dogs and Tatonka kennels who has the Sorells dogs. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. This will be a family pet first , but i may wanna get involved in some weight pulling at some point. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:03 pm

Have you thought into looking at rescuing?

AUSDOGG_72

Thought about it!!

Postby AUSDOGG_72 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:43 pm

I thought about adoption. The wife would rather I get him as a pup, so we may watch him grow. If i didn't have my son I would probably just adopt.

PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby PineysMom » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:51 pm

If you're serious about wanting to adopt, there are almost always puppies available at shelters. Look around before you decide, maybe?

brittany741

Postby brittany741 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:06 am

.:welcome:

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:21 am

Seriously check out those links I posted for you in the other thread. You'll find that Tatonka kennels doesn't meet a good portion of the things that make one a responsible breeder. If you plan to get into weight pulling you want to get a dog from a breeder who health tests, especially the hyps, shoulders, and heart. Please reconsider a rescue puppy because they're out there and they need homes too and can be just as good at weight pulling as any dog you buy. Talk to some of the responsible breeders on this board and they can probably give you some referrals to other good breeders. HeartAGold and Patch O Pits being a couple. :thumbsup:

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:35 pm

Anaheed wrote:If you're serious about wanting to adopt, there are almost always puppies available at shelters. Look around before you decide, maybe?

yeah, seriously...look at that honey of an adopted pup this one got... proof that the idea is possible.... :)

Swan
Bully Ambassador
Location: In my own world but havent figured out what to call it...

Postby Swan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:42 pm

Pit Chick wrote:Seriously check out those links I posted for you in the other thread. You'll find that Tatonka kennels doesn't meet a good portion of the things that make one a responsible breeder. If you plan to get into weight pulling you want to get a dog from a breeder who health tests, especially the hyps, shoulders, and heart. Please reconsider a rescue puppy because they're out there and they need homes too and can be just as good at weight pulling as any dog you buy. Talk to some of the responsible breeders on this board and they can probably give you some referrals to other good breeders. HeartAGold and Patch O Pits being a couple. :thumbsup:

Ditto.

Good luck in your search , if you talk to some people on the board, think you will find your self a good dog.

Welcome !!

ABPitLover
Bully Ambassador

Postby ABPitLover » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:00 am

Welcome to the board!

JeniBulmer

Postby JeniBulmer » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:49 am

We just got our pit bull recently ... and i just wanted to let you know that she is so very sweet ... and you mentioned that it will be a family pet first ... My little pit tasha is so great with my daughter alexis. She is an amazing family pet.

AUSDOGG_72

THANKS!!

Postby AUSDOGG_72 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:09 am

I wanna thank everyone for their advice and kind words. My wife is set on us finding a reputable breeder. I am military and will be stationed in jacksonville fl in august. I will still look in some shelters once I'm there we may get lucky. Also anyone know of some good breeders in the jacksonville area. I was told to checkout Cold Steel Pits! If you have any info I'd love to here it.

THANKS EVERYONE!! :peace:

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:59 pm

I just checked out their site. They have some nice looking dogs, but no healthtesting. I find it interesting that they take the time to have their dogs's DNA profiled, but no health screenings. :huh?: This is part of their guarantee:

We guarantee that all of our pups are healty.......

Then say:

We do not breed for form, so we do not certify hips or elbows. These are still a terrier type breed and do not typically encounter the problems associated with larger breed dogs.

I don't see how they can guarantee the health of their pups with no tests done on the parents. :dunno: And to think just because they aren't a large breed that they can't have health problems seems pretty foolish since different breeds of all sizes are prone to some kind of genetic problems and hip displacia is one that this breed is prone to. Hips and elbows aren't the only body parts that can have problems, there's the heart, eyes, hearing, thyroid, vonWildbran's disease, etc. that needs to be tested for also.

Return to “Introductions”