New member: Intro

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Conners

New member: Intro

Postby Conners » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:08 pm

Prior to Shasta becoming restricted, I was in the process of having her trained to be a certified Therapy Dog for St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program to give back to seniors and sick kids, some of what she has given to me. But because of Bill 132, those that were going through the training or in the program were withdrawn because of their breed.
I took her to a small town Seniors Home that didn't require the certification that some homes and hospitals require. She drew the seniors in and they loved our visits, especially the local retired dog catcher of the town that couldn't believe when I told him about the ban on Pit bulls soon to come at that point.
I, myself am disabled with multi health problems and phobia's. I did not go out to get a dog, let alone an APBT. It seemed as if the two of us were fated to be together if you believe in that kind of thing.
For one, because of my disabilities and nerve damage, I never thought I would be able to handle such a strong dog and never even considered it. Instead, she came to me as a favor to a young couple with a young child and a new-born to house train and train for gentleness because of the kids. To make a long story short, their hands were full with the children and work and by this time the pup and I had worked, bonded (though I tried to deny it because I knew I would have to give her up) and through all this, they asked me if I would like to keep her. She had become my life and got me outside and around people that I had phobia's with. She got me to enjoy being around people and as long as she was by my side, I had nothing to fear. I don't mean in a nasty fear, but fear as in phobias.
We started going further and I taught her how to pull wagons and sleds to pull my groceries home from the store. We took out the garbage to the bins in the same way. She wakes me in such a pleasant way when I need up. She is not allowed to bark unless someone is at the door to let me know, so she learnt how to say, 'Mom'. She can say it clearly now and people on the phone often mistake her for a child when they hear her.
Yet, the government banned them all the same and now she must always be on a leash and muzzle when out in public.
In the Dog Leash Free Parks, she must be leashed and muzzled at all times, which at first the city would not even allow them to enter.
She has no backyard as I live in an apartment on the first floor. She has nowhere to run because of the leash, but I do get her out in the summer when I ride my bike and she gets good exercise then. (Yet another accomplishment I would never of thought possible before her).
The government treats the dogs and the responsible owners like criminals and you feel like they are waiting for us to slip up. Both Shasta and I have been in the news several times and in our local newspaper for our stand against the city bylaws of their proposed Pit bull bylaws and Shasta outside City Hall promoting the positive side of Pit bulls and her use as my (uncertified) Service Dog.
We are currently taking the Canine Good Neighbor course to photocopy our certificates to the government once we have completed and passed, to show them how well manners and behaved and in control our dogs are and not what the media has portrayed our dogs as.
We have Clayton Ruby as our lawyer that we are trying to make amendments to the DOLA to responsible owners of ALL breeds in Ontario. NO BSL! Responsible ownership and education along with other amendments we are asking for.
As you already know, Michael Bryant has made this such a large issue being the first in North America. Watch carefully as we make him wash egg off his face when we're done and hopefully the damage he has caused will then reverse and a new revival of bans will become undone with a better resolve for all.

Swan
Bully Ambassador
Location: In my own world but havent figured out what to call it...

Postby Swan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:19 pm

I did not go out to get a dog, let alone an APBT. It seemed as if the two of us were fated to be together if you believe in that kind of thing.

Oh I do, I think the same thing of my dog!

She had become my life and got me outside and around people that I had phobia's with

I used to know some one with phobia's like yourself, I know it isnt easy, this dog has done so much for you in this area. :)

The government treats the dogs and the responsible owners like criminals and you feel like they are waiting for us to slip up.

Well worded and another good point about what BSL does to responsible people its b.s.

Both Shasta and I have been in the news several times and in our local newspaper for our stand against the city bylaws of their proposed Pit bull bylaws and Shasta outside City Hall promoting the positive side of Pit bulls and her use as my (uncertified) Service Dog.

It would be nice if you could show those new paper articles of you and Shasta or if the news has any links on you and Shasta on the internet so you can share them with us, I think we all would love to see them.

We have Clayton Ruby as our lawyer that we are trying to make amendments to the DOLA to responsible owners of ALL breeds in Ontario. NO BSL! Responsible ownership and education along with other amendments we are asking for.

I think I speak for all members to keep us updated and good for you making a stand!

Your introduction was another good testimony for what this breed can do for people, especially for some one like your self. Am glad that you found a companion in your life to help you deal with your health issues, must be like a breath of fresh air to have someone like Shasta in your life.

Sorry that you have to go through all of the crap your going through and there are a lot of members on here from or around you area that are going through the same thing.

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing.

Swan

pits in 4-H
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pits in 4-H » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:10 am

Welcome and will enjoy hearing of your adventures :)

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:11 am

Welcome!

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:38 pm

Welcome!!!

Jo

Postby Jo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:19 pm

Hi Connie, glad to see you here! We've spoken before on Don's list. Good to hear you and Shasta are doing well with your CGN training!

Jo-Anne

Conners

Postby Conners » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:41 pm

Swan wrote:
I did not go out to get a dog, let alone an APBT. It seemed as if the two of us were fated to be together if you believe in that kind of thing.

Oh I do, I think the same thing of my dog!

She had become my life and got me outside and around people that I had phobia's with

I used to know some one with phobia's like yourself, I know it isnt easy, this dog has done so much for you in this area. :)

The government treats the dogs and the responsible owners like criminals and you feel like they are waiting for us to slip up.

Well worded and another good point about what BSL does to responsible people its b.s.

Both Shasta and I have been in the news several times and in our local newspaper for our stand against the city bylaws of their proposed Pit bull bylaws and Shasta outside City Hall promoting the positive side of Pit bulls and her use as my (uncertified) Service Dog.

It would be nice if you could show those new paper articles of you and Shasta or if the news has any links on you and Shasta on the internet so you can share them with us, I think we all would love to see them.

I think I speak for all members to keep us updated and good for you making a stand!

Your introduction was another good testimony for what this breed can do for people, especially for some one like your self. Am glad that you found a companion in your life to help you deal with your health issues, must be like a breath of fresh air to have someone like Shasta in your life.

Sorry that you have to go through all of the crap your going through and there are a lot of members on here from or around you area that are going through the same thing.

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing.

Swan

It was on the TV Swan, so I don't have articles to send.
A bunch of us woman that we met on the net on another forum were going to speak at City Hall and we had what we called a Bow Wow Pow Wow where we were going to go over our speeches so we didn't all repeat each other and all speeches were unigue.
We were also invited to bring our dogs as a play date. Too bad reporters wheren't there as all of them strange to each other and what a time they had! I have pictures of them socializing together. Not ONE single incident of aggression broke out. We all had a blast, plus then at City Hall it really helped as now we were supportive of each other.
We didn't exactly win, but we didn't lose neither. Out of 3 council members for the ammendments, we managed to pull one of them over to our side and they dropped many of the proposed items and brought the costs down and didn't put the full responsibility on the responsible pit bull owners like they were going to. We did GOOD! LOL

Jo-anne wrote:
Hi Connie, glad to see you here! We've spoken before on Don's list. Good to hear you and Shasta are doing well with your CGN training!
Jo-Anne

Hi Jo-anne,
Then you know from my posts I'm the real nervous one. roflmao But Don is a wonderful, patient man that only wants the BEST for our dogs. He makes everything so simple that even I can understand what he wants us to do. He watches us closely and points out things that we wouldn't even be observing, like my nervousness goes right into Shasta. Once he pointed it out and told me to smile and relax, her whole manner changed and she walked happily with her tail wagging. Just simple little things like that can make such a difference.
I'm not sure where we should go once we receive her CGN certificate (that's talking positive) and I would like her to continue to advance. Show the government that our bullies are intelligent, well mannered and amazing creatures, like they are.
We need to break those myths going around and the only way we can do that is by people seeing first hand to believe it.
Any idea's what we are allowed? I know the CKC won't help, but heard the UKC will.
And to all the others too, thank you for the wonderful welcome!

Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Ariel Payopay » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:20 am

Welcome!

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:30 pm

Wow, great story and we are lucky to have you on board! :)

Return to “Introductions”