Hello From Madison, WI!! Can someone help me?

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
shannypits
Newborn Bully

Hello From Madison, WI!! Can someone help me?

Postby shannypits » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:37 am

Hi Everyone!
My name is Shannon and I have two and one-half pit bulls-- Kasha is half lab half pit bull and all drive, and my two mushy babies are Kaelas and Lola. I have tons of questions-- esp. about my purebreds because they are way more fearful than my mix and it is especially troubling to me. Lola is already ten months (I got her when she was four months) and she is sooo shy and unsure of the world around her. I have tried and tried to socialize and not baby her when she is scared but let her figure it out on her own but nothing seems to work. She has improved a little, but not as much as I would like to see. Any suggestions? She will growl and bark out of fear! (Big no no, especially since she does it to everyone-- like my nephews who are very young). Thanks!! roflmao

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:53 am

How old are all three of your dogs? Are they male or female? Are they spuetered? Where did you get them and how long have you had them?

Welcome to the board! I am in Neenah about 2 hours away from you. :thumbsup:

NatX
Matured Bully

Postby NatX » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:23 am

Welcome!!

chopper
Super Bully

Postby chopper » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:46 am

First off welcome to PBF :peace: My first Bully I owned was super fearful from a pup to about a year and a half. She spent the last 8 years of her life doing therapy work, so as you can see they can overcome being fearful.

I used a very intense praise reward system when training as well as mass socialization and exploration.

Praise:.... When you praise reward your dog you need to be super affectionate, not just say "good dog" pat on the head. You need to get down hug,cuddle,roll him over and pet their tummy..... I'd say at least a minute of praise for doing a command correctly. This increases their confidence... as well as their bond and trust with you. When doing this training always do it with just one dog at a time.

Mass Socialization/exploration:..... Take you fearfull dog everywhere... In the car, into friends homes, leash walks to public areas. Everything you do the dog should do to. Socialized with humans of all ages and sizes as well as all the other dogs you can.

This sounds simple and you may have tried it but it needs to be done on a very compounded way. Over and over, hours and hours..... I wouldn't let 3 days pass without training and socialization....... you will see a difference in your dogs fear issues in about a month, don't stop there thought keep it going until the dog can walk into any situation tail held high!

Good luck hope this helps! :thumbsup:

shannypits
Newborn Bully

Thanks!! You're the best

Postby shannypits » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:51 pm

Kasha, who is my mix, is spayed, 2 years old and FULL of drive-- almost too much! Kaelas is one and a half years old, male, and intact, he's a big baby, except now he is getting more and more interested in little animals-- which includes dogs-- he has never shown aggression -- even when attacked by another dog-- he usually just stands there trying to keep the other dog away with a paw on it to hold it down, or just ignores the attacking dog and moves away from it. Lola will be one in August (is currently going through her first heat-- a split one at that) and wasn't really fearful at all when I first had her-- she would trample over gates and other things that even Kasha wouldn't-- but has become increasingly more and more shy and fearful. Her bloodline is OFBA out of RoKi and she is just a true joy, I just want her to be comfortable in all situations, especially with all the BSL going on! Thank you all for your info! I will keep working with her-- I do need to be more diligent and make it everyday. I'm all ears if you guys think there is more going on! Thanks!

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:27 pm

have you talked to Roki about her???

and the male is acting normal.. alot of dogs around 1-2 yrs of age become D>A

and what chopper mentioned is exactly what i would do..and work hard on it.

shannypits
Newborn Bully

Postby shannypits » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:32 am

Yes, I am def. going to contact RoKi~~ her breeder is excellent and really knows her dogs --- I am thinking that some of her actions are because she is going through her first heat and a split one at that-- she has def. been more "aggressive" or aware and wary since this started. I have only had spayed females before so I am a total newbe to how a young girl acts in heat :oops: any ideas on heat cycles and attitude changes? She really is very sweet and loving, just since she went into heat did she start barking and growling at people.... :sad:

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:58 pm

well she is also maturing , and dogs change as they mature.. can't give ya much advice on females in heat.. dont have female that is intacted.. a male yeah..but not a female..lol

Irena
Adolescent Bully

Postby Irena » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:54 am

welcome to the forum

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:23 pm

Welcome! I have relatives in Madison (and in Neenah, Brutus's Mommy!) so it is a pretty small world!

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:43 pm

:modwelcomeonly1: -

shannypits
Newborn Bully

happy happy happy

Postby shannypits » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:12 pm

Thank you all that have responded with advice for my little non-socialized pup! I am happy to report that since Lola came out of her first heat she is a completely different dog! She hasn't shied away from a single person and is happily running up to strangers to be petted and cuddled! Kudos to her wonderful breeder, Kim at RoKi, and all you wonderful members that helped me through my daughter's first "period" Thanks! :peace: :thumbsup: :)) :) lol

Return to “Introductions”