banned in U.K

banned in U.K

Postby mew » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:09 pm

Hello :)

I am from the U.K , 2 years ago I moved to Oregon and have fallen in love with the pit bull breed since adopting a rather bald sorry pup from oregon humane society 18mths ago. He is now a stunning big pink nose who is still shy but extremely loving and my best friend and big brother to my jack russell terrier. I stupidly thought that I could take him home with me in a couple of years as he is not a full pit but after emailing defra (british import governing body) to see what I need to get for him they tell me that any dog deemed a Pit Bull type by a nominated breed expert will not be permitted entrance!! :(
Needless to say I am devastated and cannot part with him.
Please... I am seeking serious advice from anyone familiar with this. Please help.

Super Bully

Postby chopper » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:28 am

Welcome..... Wow you are in a hard spot! That SUcks :frown:

Addicted to PBF

Postby Fenriswolf » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:49 am

Eii. Pretty crap. Can't really help there... Are AmStaffs banned too? Do you have to have papers if you were to claim he were? Can't you just say he's a staffy x? :(

Postby tonka » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:23 am

Go and get papers from a vet here in america and get him to say he is a boxer mix, if they aloow boxers. Or do they have someone there check them out??

Plenty of rescues around, someone may be able to help you!! :thumbsup:

2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby dingo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:44 am

I'm in a similar situation. I live in the States now but my American husband is wanting us to move back to Australia in the next couple of years. My full-blood pit was registered as such by her previous owner and I'm not too sure how to go about "undoing" that if we return to Melbourne.
I didn't think about any future problems when I proudly recorded Annie as a pit bull when she got her CGCC.

People always ask me if she's Amstaff or pit ... but I don't think that's going to help me come the day we roll into Tullamarine Airport! :( Maybe I'll just have to stay stateside for the next 15 years. :twisted:

Super Bully

Postby peder » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:14 pm

you can come to sweden, pits are legal here, and the confusion that can rise with all the paperwork can change your dog to a staffie.

it will take you 6 monthsto get her into the uk no matter what.

Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Ariel Payopay » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:58 am

Postby Katey » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:51 am

It will be hard to get him into the UK, esp as they don't go on actual breeding, but on "type". My Harry is a Doberman X Pit Bull living in the UK, but as he doesn't have the physique, no one minds. You might be able to get him licenced?

Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:50 pm

train him to be a service dog and feign hadicapped..... tell them he is your service dog and it is essential for him to stay with you at all times and he is a mutt, all the vets youve spoken too said he was an olde english/lab mix and he has been a joy to have around and then get out of there ASAP...........

ok i totally made it up but service dogs are pretty reviered so it'll more than likely work, whatever you decide to do i hope it all works out for you and your baby 8)

Postby Katey » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:02 am

Say he's an Irish Staff. Irish Staffs are just Pit Bulls, but because they are now bred with slightly different lines they are legal in the UK

Postby slechner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:21 am

seems pretty risky. from what i've seen the UK policy is pretty broad and trying to get your dog in may be an uphill battle.

Adolescent Bully

Postby Ronin » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:20 am

ya could turn messy

Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Laina » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:10 pm

:welcome: I don't have any advice, but good luck. It seems like a very hard situation.

Return to “Introductions”