Hello! New here - not yet a pitbull owner. kinda why im here

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
schlow

Hello! New here - not yet a pitbull owner. kinda why im here

Postby schlow » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:16 am

Hello my name is Anthony and I'm from the UK and at the moment I don't own a pitbull but I am looking (in the very near future) to buy one. I read on another site about making sure you find a decent breeder and making sure its a pure breed pitbull. I was just wonder how i'd know and if anyone knows of anywhere in the UK that specializes in selling of pitbulls? as the owners around where I live I seriously wouldn't trust!

Thanks...

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:58 pm

I thought pitbulls were banned in the UK?

Welcome to the board!

schlow

Postby schlow » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:18 pm

no they're not illegal over here. we just need a permit for them. thanks! lol i feel out of place since i don't yet have a pitbull but i figured the best place to find out info before getting one is probably on a forum full of people with them!!

chinaschik

Postby chinaschik » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:21 pm

welcome to pbf! :peace:

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:56 pm

no they're not illegal over here. we just need a permit for them.

According to what I've heard they are illegal there. What kind of permit are you speaking about?

schlow

Postby schlow » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:06 am

they're not illegal anymore. i read so many UK sites saying they're legal then they're illegal so i did the obv thing and rang my county police station and they've informed me (only afew minutes ago) they're legal here aslong as you have it registered and aslong as in public places it wears a muzzle. i've only ever seen one once but now thats all i think about when i think of getting a dog, im getting one from a home. just going to sort out my living and working arrangements before adopting one because its unfair on the pitbull if i don't. lol when can i post in other parts? does anyone know? sorry i'm just eager to learn.

Bo Svensson

Postby Bo Svensson » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:44 am

Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 prohibits four types of dog:

the Pit Bull Terrier
the Japanese tosa
the Dogo Argentino
the Fila Brasileiro
It is an offence to own or keep any of the above types of dog, unless it is on the Index of Exempted Dogs and is in compliance with the requirements. In any event it is an offence to breed from, sell or exchange (even as a gift) such a dog, irrespective of whether it has been placed on the Index of Exempted Dogs. Page 3 of Annex A provides further details about the Index.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare ... c/dogs.htm

schlow

Postby schlow » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:44 pm

i understand what the law says but it still doesn't actually stop me owning one. its not illegal to own one. its illegal to buy one, breed one and give one as a gift, but i'd simply not go around telling everyone i'm buying one and once i have then its not illegal anymore. i think its completely stupid that them rules are set over here as 1. they don't make sense. 2 . there are far more dangerous dogs we're actually allowed. i just don't understand it.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:43 pm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare ... c/dogs.htm

Ok according to this, you can get an exemption by listing your dog's details on a central index and getting the dog tatooed, microchipped, and have it leashed and muzzled in public.

But if you do not follow these it can be seized, you would have to pay a fine, maybe jail. I'm not sure if this is all worth it.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:44 pm

Oops I forgot it has to be neutered too. I'm sure they mean spayed also.

schlow

Postby schlow » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:43 am

lol i understand all the risks and all the things i need to do to own a pitbull. thanks for the info though! i understand its alot but i think that proves im serious about this.

schlow

Postby schlow » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:18 am

i found a breeder in the uk! woooo!!!!!

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:18 am

schlow wrote:no they're not illegal over here. we just need a permit for them. thanks! lol i feel out of place since i don't yet have a pitbull but i figured the best place to find out info before getting one is probably on a forum full of people with them!!

Hah don't worry. As you can see from my avatar, I don't own any Pitbulls. Well, except for Honey. But don't tell her she's actually a Chihuahua.

schlow

Postby schlow » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:20 am

haha! i used to have a dog that thought it was a pitbull..aww she was lovely, got knocked over by a car bless her.. :frown: lovely girl she was! found a breeder in the uk now!

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:22 am

schlow wrote:haha! i used to have a dog that thought it was a pitbull..aww she was lovely, got knocked over by a car bless her.. :frown: lovely girl she was! found a breeder in the uk now!

While you can't share links here, please ensure the breeder is responsible (showing, titling, heath testing, limited breeding, etc etc)

Return to “Introductions”