Zane

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Tytanium
Newborn Bully

Zane

Postby Tytanium » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:46 am

Hey all,

We (Wife, The Boy and myself) added an awesome APBT male to the family. We rescued him from a shelter in DeKalb IL (Tails) at 12 weeks of age and he is now 5 months and doing very well. He's a black and white (mostly black) and has a great personality. He's a touch on the submissive side but in no way afraid of the world around him. He just want to be accepted and to please. He is scary smart (his default M.O. is to observe, think and [usually] calmly engage) and is extremely trainable. We could not be more happy with our new boy - he's a 35 lbs and growing lap dog.

He has a slight heart murmur that we are told should not be a concern and doesn't seem to affect his endurance at all. We've put him on a really high quality rotation diet to ensure he gets what he needs to foster good cardio/overall health and to increase the off chance he could "out-grow" his heart murmur.

Zane is completely crate trained and is down to about 1 potty mistake a week or better - usually on a weekend when we (the humans in the house) upset the weekday schedule. So far we are on week 2 of his obedience training having attended 2 group sessions and one in-home 2 hour session (both are clicker based). We have a solid start on SIT, LAYDOWN, OFF, LEAVE IT, TARGET and he's doing great with loose leash walking so far. I even have him conditioned to completely ignor cats, tree rats and other dogs while walking. Now - I just can't get him to catch on to the whole fetch concept. He'll run after a thrown toy, pounce, mouth it, carry it for a while and come running back for some loving. He's also not developing any obvious "I need to go outside" signals. We've learned what to look for but the next step is bells on the door knob.

The only real issues to date revolve around the pup jumping up on our son when he's over excited - but he's learning and our Boy is learning how to "communicate" the spatial violation and inappropriate puppy behavior.

Good times !!!

I've already gleened a bunch of great info from the forum and will continue to do so. I've found great info on training, behavior, health/diet etc etc. It's a great resource. Looking forward to future interaction with the forum. My wife and I approached the breed with caution - did our homework - and are now complete ambassadors for this great breed.

Regards,

Tyler

Tytanium
Newborn Bully

Postby Tytanium » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:47 am

BTW, I will post pics when I get home - currently out of town.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:12 am

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Zeldasmom
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Zeldasmom » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:34 am

Welcome! Can't wait to see pics. He sounds like a sweetie.

Btw, bells on the door knob is what worked for my Zelda. She didn't really know how to tell us she needed to go out. Took 2 days of having the bells up and ringing them each time we took her out for her to catch on. She very rarely had any accidents after that.

stang01
Matured Bully

Postby stang01 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Welcome :) Take pics of your pit

ssontag
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ssontag » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:41 pm

Welcome! Great to see more Illinois people. Can't wait to see some pictures.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:21 pm

:modwelcomeonly2:

Return to “Introductions”