-Hey guys, first time owner of a PB-

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Cboy1
Newborn Bully

-Hey guys, first time owner of a PB-

Postby Cboy1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:57 am

So what's up dudes, just picked up a blue nose Pit yesterday from a breeder who had his first litter of I believe five pups. I've always wanted a Pit for the longest time and finally got around to getting one, "Bruno" is the name of my Pit, and for a PB he's pretty laid back, kinda lazy at times and none the less a great dog so far. I'm gonna send him to puppy school after he get's his second round of shots and he is currently 10 weeks old and weighing in at nearly 23lbs already! Just thought I'd google to see if there was a PB forum and found this at the top of the list and just wanted some helpful tips because so far with all my encounters from friends and what not, they have reeeally friendly PB's. So if you guy's can give me any type of feedback that would be awesome. And this isn't the first dog I've had the privilege of owning, I've had many dogs growing up as a kid and up until now so all around I know how to handle dog's, but Pit's are just sooo misunderstood and wanted some well rounded base knowledge about them. Anyways here's a few pic's of him that I took this afternoon.

And I would like to clip his ears and his tail but wouldn't want to inflict such pain to an animal, even though it could potentially help his health.

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:57 am

WELCOME to the forum, beautiful pup you have there.

I dont understand what the corallation is between health benefits and ear cropping and tail cropping. The only thing that I know of personally is a benefit when it comes to cropping ears is because they are going to be fighting dogs and ears have lots of nerves and bleed alot while being ripped off. :frown:

cbow
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cbow » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:42 am

Welcome!!!
This is a great place to learn :thumbsup: .

Cboy1
Newborn Bully

Postby Cboy1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:58 am

Gypsy wrote:WELCOME to the forum, beautiful pup you have there.

I dont understand what the corallation is between health benefits and ear cropping and tail cropping. The only thing that I know of personally is a benefit when it comes to cropping ears is because they are going to be fighting dogs and ears have lots of nerves and bleed alot while being ripped off. :frown:

Thanks, yeah the pic's actually didn't turn out too well so he looks a lot better in person, lol.

Well I just heard that ear cropping is benefitial because it helps keep the ear cleaner and cleaning inside the ear is a lot easier as well. Well I hope my pup never get's into a fight even though it's inevitable when two dog's collide they're bound to fight and that's with any dog. So to try and avoid that I'm taking my pup to ALL the Petsmart classes in order to prevent him from being anti social to people and other dogs.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Welcome! your puppy is super cute. Have you named your pup yet? PBF is great, we are happy to have you.

Cboy1
Newborn Bully

Postby Cboy1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Yup the pup is named Bruno, and thanks guys...

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:36 pm

Bruno is a cutie...

Dog fights are easy to avoid, and as a dog owner it's our absolute responsibility to do everything we can to prevent it. As a pit bull owner, this is likely going to mean no off leash with other dogs once your boy matures.. dog parks are a no-no, etc. No matter how friendly our dogs are, it's just not worth it to have some dog punk him out and have Bruno's genetics kick in and do real damage to the other dog. Just avoid the set up entirely and you'll both be happier!

Tail docking has never been a part of pit bull history. Some street fighters have docked tails, but that's really it. The UKC/ADBA standards state they can NOT be docked.

Cropping ears is a personal choice. I have cropped dogs, and I've never had a problem with ear infections etc. I love natural ears, but they can present problems as far as ear tears and infections. If I were you I'd probably leave Bruno natural eared, as he's a pet dog and not going in to the show ring.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:55 pm

Welcome!

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:56 pm

:welcome: Glad to have you with us. Bruno is a pretty pup. My 0.02...keep his tail and ears natural. They are not any harder to keep clean, and they show soo much personality.

Cboy1
Newborn Bully

Postby Cboy1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:47 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:Bruno is a cutie...

Dog fights are easy to avoid, and as a dog owner it's our absolute responsibility to do everything we can to prevent it. As a pit bull owner, this is likely going to mean no off leash with other dogs once your boy matures.. dog parks are a no-no, etc. No matter how friendly our dogs are, it's just not worth it to have some dog punk him out and have Bruno's genetics kick in and do real damage to the other dog. Just avoid the set up entirely and you'll both be happier!

Tail docking has never been a part of pit bull history. Some street fighters have docked tails, but that's really it. The UKC/ADBA standards state they can NOT be docked.

Cropping ears is a personal choice. I have cropped dogs, and I've never had a problem with ear infections etc. I love natural ears, but they can present problems as far as ear tears and infections. If I were you I'd probably leave Bruno natural eared, as he's a pet dog and not going in to the show ring.

I had a quick question has anyone here sent their Pit's into puppy training classes where your Pit has interacted with other dog's? If so how'd that turn out for you guys, cause at a local Petsmart here they have this 8 week training program where they teach pup's basic commands and the "to do's" and "not to do's." And I was actually considering taking Bruno to a dog park after he was COMPLETELY done with his training classes, which goes on for almost a year I believe. My goal was to have Bruno socialize with other dogs/people as much as possible to help him mature into an all around friendly dog because it's what I've done in the past. But I'll have to sit and think about it I guess cause like I said it's my first time raising a Pit.

Oh I never knew that, my sister/cousin just merely said I should think about docking his tail only to prevent injury from waggling it so vigorously. And because it is somewhat long they didn't want it to get caught on anything or cut in any way, but so far he's doing fine and doesn't seem to mind banging against a wall or his house now and then, lol.

Yeah I like the natural ear look but a few of my buddies who breed Pit's said it just look's right and that it really doesn't act as an advantage at all. And when you say "show ring" do you mean like dog show's where they get judged and are given awards/grades? Or show ring as in building him for fighting/gambling purposes? I'm pretty sure you mean't a dog show circuit cause I'm sure everyone here hates it how Pit Bull's are portrayed in today's society.

Anyways thanks for all your comments guys, and if Bruno could type he'd probably say the same thing. For some reason around here people love Pit's, I only got like two bad comments in the public since I got him, people can be so ignorant...

Cboy1
Newborn Bully

Postby Cboy1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:14 pm

My intoduction...
Shoot I completely forgot to "introduce" myself and got lost talking about my dog. Well first off let me just start out by saying my name of course. My name is Charlie and I am 21 years old and I currently stay in SoCal/Orange County, been a looong time lover of dogs, had a lot of animals growing up but my pup Bruno is actually in the care of just me and not the help of my family or sister. At first I was slightly intimidated by Pit bull's but soon fell in love with them after my friend Steve brought over his male stud by the name of "Money" to a local park/meet we had going with our friends. Money being that he was pretty damn intimidating actually didn't even fall close to the stereotype "killer pit bull" but instead was actually really kind and open to all the people that were there.

That was nearly two year's ago and since then I knew I had to have one so after convincing my family that Pit's aren't bad dog's but the owners themselves should carry the responsibilities of their actions. Finally got around to picking up a pup this past week Friday(July 20th) and he's been an amazing dog in every aspect, I'll admit he's kinda slow/stupid but my sister and I find that to be adorable. Hopefully after his proper training he can become an outstanding dog and more of a rolemodel for the ignorant people that just do not understand nor do they have the time or day to get a chance to listen. So I hope everyone here has enjoyed my introduction along with some of my post's and I can't wait to see Bruno grow up, thanks again PBF.[/b]

honey72791

Postby honey72791 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:19 am

Be extremely careful with your choice of breeder... my pup has a lot of fear issues because of a petsmart trainer :frown: , not saying that all of them are, bad, but with any thing of that sort, you should defonitly(sp?) Be very careful, welcome to the forum, and Bruno is a cutie pie :inlove:

kazuo
Site Admin

Postby kazuo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:00 am

:modwelcomeonly2:

Return to “Introductions”