Hi from Michigan!!!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
WyldCard

Hi from Michigan!!!

Postby WyldCard » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi! I'm a 22 year old (female) cna/a.e. promotional model, I live in a really diminutive town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The legal age to own a pitbull in the state of Michigan is 21 however, I was raised with Brunswick, a English Pitbull (English Bulldog/ Pitbull) from day one and he lived a nice life at the ripe age of 18 and then rescued Cumeere, a Chessy Bay/Pitbull from a shelter almost 3 years ago whom recently died just 4 months ago. I'm still not over Cumeere's death but I feel lucky to have had him as a companion for the few years he was in my life.

I'm a pretty down to earth person, very outgoing and emphatically patient - which isn't a bad thing. With being a CNA and working with the elderly you HAVE to have patience. I live a pretty simple life, I have the house, the car... no kids though. I guess you could say I am a pretty decent person and am only firm when it counts.

What has brought me here? Well, I have basically inherited a 1.5 year old male Pitbull from a friend. Now, i'm perfectly safe with the dog he is practically my best pal but he is somewhat protective, he doesn't like cats and other dogs. Please keep in mind I didn't have him as a puppy.

A lady from the local shelter found out I had a pitbull and she realized he was quite high strung and suggested that I get him neutered to hopefully calm him down. I could see neutering him so that he doesn't inpregnate another dog but to calm him down? I never realized a change in my other dog's behaviors when I had them neutered so I don't know exactly what to think about that.

I'm gonna keep researching outside dog kennels and such too since I wont have a fence until next year, if anyone has any suggestions on a good outside kennel that is kinda roomy please let me know. I would appreciate it sooo much or any other advice :) thanks

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:49 pm

hi
have any pictures?

I just graduated from CNA to LPN
awesome job to take care of people.

PICTURES!! lol

cbow
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cbow » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:03 pm

Welcome.

Try a search for kennels in the "equipiment,housing...." section.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:06 pm

SueN
Matured Bully

Postby SueN » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:21 pm

Welcome I am from Michigan as well. Where did you hear you have to be 18 to own a pit bull in Michigan?

WyldCard

Postby WyldCard » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks everyone, I will try to get pics up of him as soon as I can.
Well, it's 18 to adopt an animal I know that. Although I was told by the police that you were supposed to be 21 to have posession of a pitbull in the state of Michigan however, I have searched for that "law" and have failed miserably trying to find it... I know alot of other people though who say the same thing. I'm 22 so I really have nothing to worry about but knowing Michigan and the constant sweeps they are having this year I wouldn't be shocked to find out that it's true. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was you know?

I will definately look for that kennel thing though, been researching alot on safety precautions and what not. Need a temporary solution until next year when I get the high fence up. Which will be nice for him so then he wont have to play in the kiddy pool on a chain next summer.

Thanks everyone!

ssontag
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ssontag » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:28 pm

Welcome! Can't wait to see some pictures. I got my male (Slayer) neutered when he was about 1 1/2 years old, honestly, I do think that it mellowed him out a little bit. He is still very active and has not gained any weight, but doesn't seem so high strung. BTW, what is you bullys name?

WyldCard

Postby WyldCard » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 pm

Awww, hmm maybe that's what he needs then cause he is quite the handful at times! I'm going tomorrow to the groomer to have his nails trimmed (he jumped on me last week and accidently scratched my hip, had to get 2 stitches!) So i'll swing by the vet tomorrow and make him an appointment to have him neutered while him and I are out and about.

Oh! His name is Mayhem but I call him Buddy or Stinker - he responds to all of them oddly enough lol - Slayer like the band?

BrowniesMom
Adolescent Bully

Postby BrowniesMom » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Neutering should help, at least a little, but my male was neuterd at around 10 months, and he's 2 1/2 y/o, but he's still a crazy man. You just gotta keep working with him, correcting bad behavior, rewarding good. Find obedience classes if you can, if nothing else they'll show u what u need to do to redirect him.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:49 pm

Welcome to our forum!

In my experience, neutering does help. I had one that I waited until he was five to neuter and all the rest I've done before they were 6 months old (spaying, too). I think it also curbs their "roaming" urge.

Great to have you here. Send pictures! :peace:

SueN
Matured Bully

Postby SueN » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:10 pm

Nowhere in the Michigan Statute will you find specific breeds listed. The State prohibits wolf hybrids. The age of 18 rule may be specific to where you live but it is not state law. Detroit had an age restriction but it was recently repealed. As far as adoption goes the state run agencies have no age restrictions just spay/neuter requirements.

The U.P. is a beautiful area! I have only been as far as Marquette but it was very nice.

Post some pics!

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:23 am

You do not have to be 21 to own a Pit Bull in Michigan.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:56 pm

Welcome!
As far as your PB being high strung, I would recommend serious exercise (and yeah, neutering too). My boy needs and hour a day minimum, he is very energetic. We usually do two hours. You would be surprised at how much that exercise helps. It makes him more receptive to training, and it makes living in a condo bearable.
You sound like a good pit bull owner, glad to have you on PBF!
I would love to see some pictures of your boy!

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:52 pm

:welcome:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:08 pm

Welcome to the forum!
We are in Grand Rapids.

Return to “Introductions”