New - Anya makes a new start in NH

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
dangermouth
Newborn Bully

New - Anya makes a new start in NH

Postby dangermouth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:03 am

My name is Becky and I've loved pitbulls since I was young and befriended one who lived chained outside next door to my house. My mom positively crapped herself when she saw the dog I was playing with, but the Samoyed we owned at the time was FAR more dog aggressive than Daisy the pitbull, and neither were human aggressive.

I run a ferret rescue, have a bunch of cats and a few reptiles, and I have some arthritis that makes me less active, so I thought a pitbull was out of my reach. I got a French Bulldog (Frodo), who is about my speed, not lightspeed like young pits. Then I saw #104XXXURGENT at the Hartford CT dog pound listing on petfinder. 12 years old, deaf, cow-marked pitty. A two hour drive? Big deal! :headbang:

We got there just past dusk and the ACO brought her out on a rope. I wasn't certain at that second that we'd take her, but I was pretty sure. It's hard to evaluate a dog's personality outside, in the dark, with just a rope around her neck, when she's been stuck in a kennel for about two weeks. We tried to make sure she wasn't going to eat us (ha - she's fat), I gave the nice ACO the big ol $5 to release her, and now she's mine.

Her ears stink, I'm pretty sure she's intact, she's peeing all the time and licking herself so she might have a UTI, she sounds like she could have kennel cough, and I'm scared to death she could have heartworm...because I'm in love. I named her Anya because in Sanskrit it means inexhaustible - and because it is similar to the Sanskrit word Aghnya, which means "not to be slaughtered", and referred to cows. She was supposed to be put to sleep today.

She's now been tested with Frodo and with cats - she licks them all, but she'd rather be with people. Her separation anxiety is understandable - she was abandoned in a house when people moved out (and what I wouldn't give for five minutes with them and a 2x4).

Anyway, Adivina wouldn't leave me alone until I agreed to post an intro here. I think Anya probably has something other than pit mixed in her, but it's hard to tell being that she's kind of elderly and tubby. What do you think?

Anya doesn't want to be far enough away for me to take a pic.

Poor, poor toenails...she's getting such the spa treatment after her vet visit.

Pitbulls are dog aggressive, see! RAWR. Wait, no.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:14 am

Welcome and thank you for rescuing her!

Adivina
Adolescent Bully

Postby Adivina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:15 am

:thumbsup:

Welcome to the people who own deaf pitties club. She's a cutie pie and you know I love ya for taking her in and not letting her be put down. This little lady deserves to experience a good home before she goes. Thanks for giving her one.

:inlove:

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:27 am

Anya is beautiful! Thank you for rescuing, and an extra BIG thank you for adopting an elderly dog.

Welcome to PBF, I can't wait to see more pictures of your whole crew!

Ket

dangermouth
Newborn Bully

Postby dangermouth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:34 am

My boyfriend and I have decided that we want to stick to elderly dogs, actually. I feel drawn towards the old ones who have been dumped....they're so easy to take care of, most of the time, and the only thing wrong with them is that they're not going to live as long. Big deal. They deserve good homes for whatever time they've got left.

I'm not 100% sure she was born deaf - her ears are so infected, it's possible she's not actually permanently deaf. We'll find out when we get a vet appointment, if they'd just call me back already!

Maryjane09

Postby Maryjane09 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:41 am

May the PITBULL GODS bless you!! :bowdown:

Lol... Welcome to PBF! Glad to have you

docdeath
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby docdeath » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:08 pm

welcome to the forum... :peace:

dangermouth
Newborn Bully

Postby dangermouth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:37 pm

:po: I have to wait til thursday to get her in to see my vet...it's a good thing my vet is the best. Until then, the poor thing is peeing everywhere and I don't think she can help it.

Now we have to go out and get her a crate to contain the peeing til the probably infection is taken care of...and my boyfriend is ordering her a pink spiked collar :3

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Welcome! Thanks for rescuing this old girl! Older dogs are so deserving of good homes, I'm glad you opened yours up to this dog. I hope she feels better after her trip to the vet. Those toe nails must suck, they are so long!

Adivina
Adolescent Bully

Postby Adivina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:08 pm

I bet she will be the cutest girl ever with her pink collar.

You should really look at the Collarmania site - I know I want to get Kratos one. If you go look in the galleries on here and search for collarmania you can see tons of really nice custom collars.

I know I've told you this over the phone before you got your bully, but it was more my plans to get a collar from there, now I shall push you to get one too!

dangermouth
Newborn Bully

Postby dangermouth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:28 pm

Adivina wrote:I bet she will be the cutest girl ever with her pink collar.

You should really look at the Collarmania site - I know I want to get Kratos one. If you go look in the galleries on here and search for collarmania you can see tons of really nice custom collars.

I know I've told you this over the phone before you got your bully, but it was more my plans to get a collar from there, now I shall push you to get one too!

Yabbut....I gots no money now :(

Pitty love is all you need, but it won't pay for fancy collars. We're getting a cheapo pink leather studded collar, since right now all I have is an ill fitting chain martingale, and she really doesn't need a correction collar at all <3

Adivina
Adolescent Bully

Postby Adivina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:58 pm

dangermouth wrote:
Yabbut....I gots no money now :(

roflmao Trust me I know! A girl can dream though right? Hell Kratos wouldn't have a pretty collar if you hadn't bought him one :inlove:

dangermouth
Newborn Bully

Postby dangermouth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:02 pm

Wish me luck. If I can get out of work and find the Dremel, I'm going to try to work on her nails tonight. Hopefully that doesn't freak the hell out of her.

Adivina
Adolescent Bully

Postby Adivina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:06 pm

This is when you can thank your stars she can't hear roflmao

Good luck, I know you'll do great!

dangermouth
Newborn Bully

Postby dangermouth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:09 pm

Y'know, I'm an idiot. I didn't even think about the fact that she can't hear the dremel!

Return to “Introductions”