Could someone tell me what type of dog this is?

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
ChickOStick
Adolescent Bully

Could someone tell me what type of dog this is?

Postby ChickOStick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:12 am

Hi there. I am new to the forum. I have been reading a lot about pitbulls because I think I rescued one. I don't know a lot about dogs....at all.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all. I live in Oklahoma with my husband and dog Lucy. I have had since the end of June.

When I found her on the highway, she was pregnant. July 1st she gave birth to 11 puppies (1 was stillborn). I managed to find good homes for the puppies, but nobody wanted an adult dog. My husband and I live in an apartment and can't have animals.

So guess what? We are moving Nov. 1st!

That's right. I just fell in love with her.

The vet that I take her to says she is Staffordshire. But, I don't think Staffy's have such floppy ears. Do they?

I have looked at many many pictures and am clueless.

What do you all think?

ChickOStick
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChickOStick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:13 am

BTW-Sorry the pictures are so big. I don't know how to make them smaller.

docdeath
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby docdeath » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:14 am

welcome, good looking dog, looks like APBT to me...thanks for rescueing... :thumbsup:

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:15 am

Hi there, welcome!!

She definitely looks pit bull to me. She has hound ears, which aren't uncommon :)

ChickOStick
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChickOStick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:28 am

docdeath wrote:welcome, good looking dog, looks like APBT to me...thanks for rescueing... :thumbsup:

Thanks! Now, is that the same thing as Staffordshire Terrier?

Your pup is a sweetie! And, kadillaccgrrl's furkids are cute too!

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:20 am

ChickOStick wrote:
docdeath wrote:welcome, good looking dog, looks like APBT to me...thanks for rescueing... :thumbsup:

Short version

There is a breed registered by AKC called American Staffordshire Terrier, or AmStaff for short. The breed began as a UKC American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and the AKC changed the name.

There really is no way to tell if your girl is an Amstaff or an APBT just by looking at her... some traits tend to be more prevalent in one or the other, though.

ChickOStick
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChickOStick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:28 am

KadillacGrrl wrote:
ChickOStick wrote:

Short version

There is a breed registered by AKC called American Staffordshire Terrier, or AmStaff for short. The breed began as a UKC American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and the AKC changed the name.

There really is no way to tell if your girl is an Amstaff or an APBT just by looking at her... some traits tend to be more prevalent in one or the other, though.

I see. Confusing. It was my understanding that AmStaffs and Staffys are different. Like, aren't the AmStaffs taller and bigger than the Staffy's? And, aren't their muzzles longer?

Lucy is 45 lbs. And, I am not sure of how tall she is. I know that I am confused.

When will I be able to join in on the other forums? It gets lonely over here in "Introductions." Hahaha.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:37 am

So you were thinking: Staffordshire Bull Terrier (aka Staffy Bull)

I'd say no by looking at her. They are a max height of 16" and weigh up to 38 lbs for dogs and 34 lbs for bitches. Colors are: red, fawn, white, black, any shade of brindle, and blue, with or without white.

ChickOStick
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChickOStick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:43 am

KadillacGrrl wrote:So you were thinking: Staffordshire Bull Terrier (aka Staffy Bull)

I'd say no by looking at her. They are a max height of 16" and weigh up to 38 lbs for dogs and 34 lbs for bitches. Colors are: red, fawn, white, black, any shade of brindle, and blue, with or without white.

Oh, okay. It sounds like you know you stuff. Thanks!

Your dogs are so darn cute!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 am

Welcome! She's cute! From her size and build I'd say APBT too. Thanks for rescuing her!

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:22 am

IDK, when I first saw the pick of her chewing on the bone, my first thought was staffy bull. The head shape looks more staffy to me.. what ever she is, staffy bull, amstaff or am. pit bull, she is a cutie, and I for one am very glad you decided to keep her and join us!! Welcome :)

dangermouth
Newborn Bully

Postby dangermouth » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:20 pm

She's so beautiful with her eyeliner. Need more pics!

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Welcome!

amakusa

Postby amakusa » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:41 pm

looks like a APBT to me, she might have a little labrador in her, but thats only an opinion

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:02 pm

Welcome to PBF! There is lots of good, solid info here on bully breeds. Thanks for giving Lucy a home. She's precious. You'll be able to visit other areas in the forum in a day or two after the mods give you access.

Return to “Introductions”