Writer in Search of Information

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
researcherfellow

Writer in Search of Information

Postby researcherfellow » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Hello,

My name is Craig Davidson. I'm a writer living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. This is my website:

www.craigdavidson.net

The reason I'm here is because a magazine (I'm afraid I cannot say which) has asked me to research an article on the pitbull breed, public perception, and so forth in the wake of the Michael Vick scandal. I am a writer but not a journalist, so gathering the information I need has been difficult as I'm terribly inexperienced. And with the type of question I'm asking, what I'm generally met with is stony silence. Which is fair enough, but I'm a stubborn bugger so I'll keep asking.

Basically, I need to talk and to meet with Pitbull owners in the Calgary/Alberta area. How many frequent this board? No idea. It's a flier, I'll admit. Needless to say the article will be a sensitive and humane portrait of the breed---albeit said, the most controversial breed of dog there is, as will be noted. Anyone who reads this and is from the area and is interested, please contact me personally at:

craigdavidson11@gmail.com

and I can further explain the article, my research agenda, and so forth.

Very best, Craig.

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:23 am

Welcome, you've definately come to the right place to learn the truth. I can think of at least one person off the top of my head that frequents the forums from you area.

Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Re: Writer in Search of Information

Postby Shay59 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:48 pm

researcherfellow wrote:Needless to say the article will be a sensitive and humane portrait of the breed---

We need articles like this to help people better understand American Pit Bull Terriers. The public perception is horribly skewed against us & our breed of choice. The whole Vick saga only made it worse. I would like to read your article when you get it printed.

Thank you for the effort.

love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador

Postby love for ba brody » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:49 am

Welcome, I'm sure you will find all the information you are looking for and more here!
Good luck with your article. I hope to read it soon.

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:24 am

Welcome to the Board?...

What kind of question are you wanting answered? Why must the person be from your area? I am sure if you google "pit bull+rescue" you will find one in your area,,,,and more than likely they would LOVE to answer your questions if it involves anything regarding the truth about the breed, when it comes to temperment, intelligence,loyalty, as well as the predjudice that surrounds the Pit Bull...The only thing that comes to my mind, if you are met with "stoney silence",,,,is that maybe you are wanting to know more about what happens behind closed doors,,,,NO ONE here condones the sport of fighting here,,,but there are folks who have taken in, or better put, rescued dogs that have been used for fighting. If in fact you are writing a story,that is humane, and sensitive,,ask away,,,,there are many well educated people here that will give you honest answers,,,,or even invite you over for a "one on one" education...

The lighter side. You never know,,,you might get to meet an ex fighter,,,,but be careful,,,,they do lick, love,,and want their bellies rubbed,,they do this to complete strangers!.

Good Luck, and when the article is written, please do post it.

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:43 am

suzi wrote:The lighter side. You never know,,,you might get to meet an ex fighter,,,,but be careful,,,,they do lick, love,,and want their bellies rubbed,,they do this to complete strangers!.

Ain't that the truth!! :)) :inlove:

matronmedusa
Newborn Bully

Postby matronmedusa » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:57 am

For starters, here's a great site that can help with their image:

http://www.lawdogsusa.org/

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:55 am

Forum members...This guy is in the wrong place...I wrote him to ask a few questions, here is his reply.....So very sad....

Subject: Re: Member form Pit Bull Forum...

Dear Suzi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, your assumption was correct: unfortunately, for the type of story I've been asked to research and write, it is not the rescue workers or the "good people" I've been tasked with talking to; if so, I believe it would be a much easier article to press forward on. I'm afraid I need to talk to the bad people, because sadly, that's where a lot of the interest lies. So, men like Tom Garner, Jamie Long, the guys on the other side of the moral fence, the other side of the law, however you want to look at it. Needless to say, it's not to valorize them---but the job of a journalist is, I think, to get as deeply into the story as possible. And that side of things, in light of the Michael Vick scandal, is what my editors are interested in. So it's my job to search that out. In any case, morally I'm on your side---I own a dog myself, not a pitbull (though I like the breed)---so the idea of dogfighting is repulsive. We can't always write about the nice side of life, though. All best, Craig.

akroninger1
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby akroninger1 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:46 am

suzi wrote:Forum members...This guy is in the wrong place...I wrote him to ask a few questions, here is his reply.....So very sad....

Subject: Re: Member form Pit Bull Forum...

Dear Suzi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, your assumption was correct: unfortunately, for the type of story I've been asked to research and write, it is not the rescue workers or the "good people" I've been tasked with talking to; if so, I believe it would be a much easier article to press forward on. I'm afraid I need to talk to the bad people, because sadly, that's where a lot of the interest lies. So, men like Tom Garner, Jamie Long, the guys on the other side of the moral fence, the other side of the law, however you want to look at it. Needless to say, it's not to valorize them---but the job of a journalist is, I think, to get as deeply into the story as possible. And that side of things, in light of the Michael Vick scandal, is what my editors are interested in. So it's my job to search that out. In any case, morally I'm on your side---I own a dog myself, not a pitbull (though I like the breed)---so the idea of dogfighting is repulsive. We can't always write about the nice side of life, though. All best, Craig.

]

not necessarily. i mean, ppl here who have rescued or worked somewhere where they've seen first hand the outcomes of dog fighting might *that being the keyword here* be able to better help him look in the right direction.

as to the OP - unfortunately, just like with any close-knit society, if you're not 'related' or have someone to 'bring you in' - you won't get any closer to the truth.

mayhap you could try local authorities whose job it is to bust up fighting rings? or if you REALLY want the story - try and get involved under cover? i dunno hun. seems dangerous and i'd prolly stick to the authorities who may be able to better shed light. maybe even visit jails/prisons where ppl convicted of that crime may be willing to talk...

um, i know i recently read an article about some city in the US who had an all-dog pulling contest for locals and in the article a guy said how he used to be involved with dog fighting a few years back but is out of it... maybe you could try and look him up for an interview?

all just random ideas...

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:46 pm

hey craig,

if you're looking for guys like jami long or tom garner, you're highly unlikely to find them at this board. but if you search long enough and hard enough, you'll probably find what you're looking for. which is a message board full of indiscrete people willing to talk to yet another journalist trying to do the sexy "fighting dogs" story, which is all the rage these days.

i work as an editor at a newspaper myself, and i know you can't always write about the nice side of life; but you can refuse to bow to the pressure to sensationalize.

chances are, any "real" dogmen or fighters are not going to talk to you at all. the only folks who are likely to wag their tongues are wannabes and thugs.

this board is primarily focused on responsible breeding, rescue, training, and proper ownership of american pit bull terriers. probably not going to find what you're looking for here.

Return to “Introductions”