Greetings from Ontario Canada!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Souldier
Newborn Bully

Greetings from Ontario Canada!

Postby Souldier » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Rose-Anne (most people call me Rosey), I am 22 years old, and I, unfortunately, live in northern Ontario Canada – Ontario’s Bill 132 was enacted on August 29th, 2005 and restricts the ownership of any “pitbull type” dog or any dog which shares such resemblances.

I’m a fairly new dog owner but have been a dog-lover since birth. I was never able to have pets as a child because my mother is a chronic asthmatic but when I turned 20, my now fiancé and I adopted a Jack Russell Terrier from our local shelter that we named Ozzy – even though most people, including the man at the shelter, discouraged us from getting such a high energy dog. Being high energy people ourselves, we instantly connected with this little monster and decided that we were going to provide him with the best life we possibly could which included obedience training, lots of exercise, and affection. The day we started obedience class was the day we were introduced to the infamous “pitbull” because our trainer owns two American Staffordshire Terriers and one American Pitbull Terrier who accompanied her to class often. My parents always told us that dogs were dogs first and breed second and I couldn’t help but want to know more about these dogs that the media portrayed to be “urban weapons waiting to go off at any moment.” At the end of my first beginner obedience class with Ozzy, both my fiancé and I began to fall in love with these dogs. By the time we finished our advanced obedience class we started talking about eventually getting a second dog. When we decided to take a beginner agility class, we got an e-mail from Bullies In Need forwarded to us by our trainer. Here was this beautiful bully named Angel who needed to find a home or go to SPCA because her owner was pregnant and didn’t want her around her newborn. Having experience with a rather dominant high energy dog, we believed that we were ready for another challenge. We drove a total of almost 7 hours to go pick her up and we were doused with kisses all the way home.

Angel is now known as Kali and was named so after the Hindu goddess. I named her this because Kali is a goddess capable of great death and destruction, BUT only those who are ignorant fear her – much like these wonderful underdogs. Most people realize just how little of a threat she is when they see me (a barely 5 feet 90 lbs lady) walking her and Ozzy with both leashes in one hand. Kali is an all around wonderful dog except for when we go to obedience classes – she gets excited and her excitement turns to aggression toward other dogs. We are dealing with this effectively and have already begun to see a great improvement which is wonderful seeing as we have only had her for 7 months now. When we first got her she was also quite overweight but at our last vet visit our vet told us that she was looking wonderful! We are both quite happy about this.

Why did I choose this dog? Partly because I have a soft spot for these black sheep, partly because I find them amazing, partly because I knew she would be a challenge for me, partly because her and my other dog, Ozzy, have compatible energies, and mostly because I wanted the experience of owning such a wonderful breed or breed mix... because she is a rescue we aren’t 100% sure whether she is a pure breed. She looks very much like an American Staffordshire Terrier but has the leg of an American Pitbull Terrier… she may be both or may be just a tall Amstaff! We don’t know for sure.

Currently we really haven’t gotten into any breed related activities because we are focusing on obedience and plain old exercise. I would very much love to get into flyball with my Jack Russell Terrier because we had a “flyball fun day” with our trainer and Ozzy did quite well and really enjoyed it. My Jack is also a certified St. John’s Ambulance Therapy dog and we often visit the sick and the elderly. We are also part of a program called Reading Tails which has been designed to help children with reading difficulties – basically they sit next to the dog and read to them.

As for me, well I’m a full-time Fine Art student with a major in visual art and a minor in theatre production. I aspire to be a primary school teacher someday (within the next 2 years). I also run my own Etsy shop and try to use some of my crafting skills to raise money for the DLCC’s legal fund against Bill 132, which if won will help secure non breed specific bylaws for all of Canada – something definitely worth fighting for.

More information on the DLCC can be found here:
www.doglegislationcouncilofcanada.org

That was quite long! I can’t wait to be a part of this community and hopefully we can learn from one another.

Also here are some photos of my dogs, Ozzy and Kali (NOTE - Kali was quite big when we first got her, but is now looking wonderful. And yes we did dye her hot pink for Halloween but the dye is non-permanent, non toxic, and is used by groomers. Funny how when she was pink people seemed to forget she was a "pitbull"):

Souldier
Newborn Bully

Postby Souldier » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Forgot to mention... Kali is considered legal in Ontario as she was born before the ban came in. She is 4 years old and Ozzy is 2 years old.

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Welcome to the forum, Rosey. You have a nice looking crew.Good intro, too.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Our Sidney Bean was rescued from Ottawa before the ban went into effect.

donnannjay
Super Bully

Postby donnannjay » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:34 pm

Welcome, they are quite a pair!

pits in 4-H
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pits in 4-H » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:05 pm

Welcome Souldier!!! Glad you could come on over from Etsy. When I read this lovely lady's bio. on her Etsy shop, I knew she belonged here with us.

She has some lovely pit bull jewelry in her store and that is what drew me into find out more about her. Check her out at www.souldier.etsy.com or http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=41087 .

pits in 4-H
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pits in 4-H » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:10 pm

You dyed her PINK, I thought your necklace charm was pink because you pulled some photoshop magic!!!! Wow!!

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:13 pm

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:14 pm

pits in 4-H wrote:You dyed her PINK, I thought your necklace charm was pink because you pulled some photoshop magic!!!! Wow!!

I thought it was photoshop tooo.... roflmao

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:13 pm

what a cute dog family you have! welcome!

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”