New to this Forum..

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Linus
Newborn Bully

New to this Forum..

Postby Linus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:28 pm

Hey, I have recently adopted a 12-14 month old pitt like 3 days ago actually, and have never owned one. I know i can care for this animal and give it what it needs. Just having a couple of problems...... His name is Linus, hes light-dark brown brindle, and just the biggest baby ive ever seen for a dog! He listens well, knows some basic commands, ( sit, stay, come) But i would like some help with some other things.... Thank you.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:47 pm

Your in the right place for help.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Hey there, could you tell us a little more about yourself so that you can be granted access to the rest of the forum? Thanks.

pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Postby pit_amor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:11 pm

welcome. you will find all u need to know here 4 sure.
but...
you have to tell us a bit more about yourself 4 access to the rest of the website. :)

Linus
Newborn Bully

Postby Linus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:51 pm

Well, what more do you want to know? Sheesh. Can we just do this thing please? Im ready to shoot my dog if i dont get some answers, or suggestions on what to do! I respect others privacy, I kind of expect the same... My dogs name is Linus, hes about 14 months old, purebred American Pit, and hes a naughty lil boy! Oh yeah, does everyone get the 3rd degree when trying to get on here? Just think. I might of had a life or death question about my dog, and wasnt allowed to post! That would suck, and I know it would weigh on my conscience.... But anywho, I would never shoot my dog, EVER. So yeah. Anything else? :frown:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:05 pm

This link explains a proper intro:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=64327

Welcome to the forum.

Linus
Newborn Bully

Postby Linus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:12 pm

Well thanks! When can I start asking questions?

luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby luv my fur babies » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:00 pm

Linus wrote: does everyone get the 3rd degree when trying to get on here?

YUP!

Welcome. Where are you from? Got any pics yet? Do you have any particular questions until you get full access?

Can't wait to get to know you and Linus!

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:04 pm

Welcome to our "secret society" are you ready for the initiation process? muahahaha

just teasing.

Welcome! I suggest that you start buying books related to the American Pit Bull Terrier. You can find them at your local pet store. And theres lots of great sites on the web.

www.badrap.org
www.pbrc.net
www.understand-a-bull.com

That should get you started!

Linus
Newborn Bully

Well here is my biggest problem.....Please dont laugh!

Postby Linus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:35 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Alright. Here it goes. I got Linus on wednesday, and he was kind of shy. When i met him he was really excited and jumpy, but nothing to worry about. Just an excited Pit! roflmao
During his upbringing, he lived with a breeder for the first 2 months. Heres question one. If that was any kind of a bad experience, would he remember that?
After he was sold to the woman I got him from, he got plenty of attention, good positive reinforcement and training, was raised around both smaller and larger dogs, and was raised from about 2 months to about 14 around a 4 year old child, which is great because i have a 3 year old little boy! I could not have a dog around my son for fear he would get hurt and, yes destroy the dog.(I have no idea what you do with a human aggressive dog!) He like most all pits can at times get extremely excited, playing tug, hide wubba, chocolate like that. And just last night, he litterally stood on his hind legs, grabbed me with his front legs, and was humping me! I was really surprised and shocked and didnt know what to do, so i gave him a knee to the chest, grabbed his collar, and kenneled him for the night. It was bedtime anyways. He has done it a few times today also. I have tried saying no quite firmly, giving him the knee, and even used lemon juice in the little lemon shaped bottle, and he DOES NOT like that. He doesnt get mad or angry, but rolls on the floor trying to rub it off his face. Ive kept the juice by my side.... He will come up and do it to me and only me. He will do it when im laying on the couch!! :po: I cant stand it, hes set to get fixed on monday, and i also need to know if that will fix the problem(minus his downtime from neutering), how soon can i expect it to chill him out, and anything else that might help!! Any more questions please ask! Thank you!!!
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shay59 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:28 am

Welcome!

I was going to ask if he was neutered but you've taken care of that question. A water squirt or spray bottle may work just as well & be cheaper than lemon juice. I haven't had any problems with my boys humping me, but do you think it may be a dominance issue? Were you told why the woman you got him from gave him up?

Read up on some if the sites suggested & in the Health Issues or Training & Behavior sections here if you can. As soon as we can learn more about you & the mods have time to read your intro, you'll probably be given access. They work regular jobs, so they get to granting access when they can. Actually, it's nice that they regulate the membership so well. That way we know what kind of person our fellow members are. Wouldn't you agree?

Linus
Newborn Bully

Postby Linus » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:51 am

The woman i got him from said he had a nice temperament,(still does) just horny.....i guess. Never humped.. i dont know. I think i might need to kind of shut him down for a week or 2, take his toys, hand feed him, limit the walks to the yard, more kennel time, stuff like that. I dunno, kinda confused.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Seriously hoping Linus will 'back off' after tomorrow's snip. If he's 14 months, he's going to be like a toddler, testing limits. NILIF is always good (even for different species :) ) Looking forward to updates and photos of the bad boy.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:41 am

Welcome.

Perhaps Linus smells a female in heat nearby?

Kudos to you for getting him neutered...that will probably help a bit.

He could also be confused, being in a new home and all. Just give him some time to settle in, and make sure to google "NILIF"...it's a type of "training" (more like a lifestyle) that keeps a dog in check as to where they stand in the pack. He may not understand that you are the boss yet. You basically make him work for anything and everything. If he wants to go outside, he must calmly sit for you or hold a down/stay. If he wants to eat, make him do something for his food. That's pretty much the basics of it. It will make him look to you as his leader. Humping can be sexual, but more often than not, it is a dominant behavior. I think he's just trying to find his place in the pack.

Good luck with your pup.

Linus
Newborn Bully

Postby Linus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 am

Well excellent. NILIF it is for the boy! Oh id post pictures, but i dont have a digi! Sorry! Maby i can get some from the previous owner.....

Return to “Introductions”