I'd like to join the discussions!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Wed May 28, 2008 2:12 pm

Welcome to PBF! Great to have you....love the show!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed May 28, 2008 2:12 pm

Welcome to PBF! It's great you joined! :)

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed May 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi Ashley

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Wed May 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Welcome Ashley!

Glad to see you came to visit :headbang:

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Wed May 28, 2008 2:31 pm

Bah, can't edit, but here's a couple links to owners and their Vick rescues:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=93179

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=94548

There might be more, I'm not sure. I'm somewhat new to these forums myself.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed May 28, 2008 2:32 pm

and if anyone has any footage of pitbulls training or doing agility, I would love to see it.

Not sure about your intention when looking for footage of pit bulls working a springpole on youtube, but please do not use any of my footage on this website, which include training and management, to promote a negative image of the breed.I won't take it kindly.I would think that other members have the same request.On the other hand if you are here to understand the breed a bit more we will all be happy to help you and supply you with information.Welcome, nice to have you.

dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby dawgdays » Wed May 28, 2008 2:58 pm

Ditto Red.

Ashley, as an FYI I sent you an email with video of Vick dogs being socialized with other dogs and trained in obedience. (We can't give you permission to use it however)

Training pit bulls is really no different from training other dogs. And spring poles & treadmills are god's gift to keeping our more active dogs exercised and happy! :thumbsup:

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Wed May 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Red wrote:
and if anyone has any footage of pitbulls training or doing agility, I would love to see it.

Not sure about your intention when looking for footage of pit bulls working a springpole on youtube, but please do not use any of my footage on this website, which include training and management, to promote a negative image of the breed.I won't take it kindly.I would think that other members have the same request.On the other hand if you are here to understand the breed a bit more we will all be happy to help you and supply you with information.Welcome, nice to have you.

dawgdays wrote:Ditto Red.

Ashley, as an FYI I sent you an email with video of Vick dogs being socialized with other dogs and trained in obedience. (We can't give you permission to use it however)

Training pit bulls is really no different from training other dogs. And spring poles & treadmills are god's gift to keeping our more active dogs exercised and happy! :thumbsup:

:goodpost:

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Wed May 28, 2008 3:34 pm

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Wed May 28, 2008 4:18 pm

Welcome welcome welcome!
I hope you find a lot of useful information here on the site.
There are a ton of responsible American Pit Bull Terrier owners here who live by the rule that our breed of dogs require more responsibility then some other breeds and I am very happy to see you taking a interest in our beloved breed!
I personally believe that a tired, socialized, and obediant APBT is an a amzing dog and love to share my experience with others. Here is a link to my youtube account that has some videos of my dogs, LOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/lipshipsattitude

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed May 28, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi!

My dogs aren't APBTs, but they are Staffordshire Bull Terriers, a closely related breed that is usually included under the "pit bull" designation when "pit bulls" are banned. :frown: I have many videos of them competing in agility, here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/fdedip

There are also a few agility videos there of APBTs belonging to other people (Posey & Vester are the dogs), as well as videos of dogs of assorted breeds. ;)

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Wed May 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Ditto all of the above. We welcome you wholeheartedly and love the fact that someone from a media place has come to learn about our cherished companions. We feel bullied by the media most of the time. The people who scream 'baby killers' are the people doing the bullying. They have media backup, they have 'public sympathy', THEY get the presstime and we just work and work and work to combat it. We take our dogs out, train, push, certify, plead at council meeting, plead with various 'other' agencies to not summarily dismiss our pets as vicious and, instead, aim at the irresponsible pet owners regardless of breed... but still, the media comes after our dogs.

My understanding is that you wanted springpole footage, etc. of dog fighting paraphernalia but here is something to keep in mind:

We treadmill our dogs - slick coated dogs get cold - tough to drag a dog on a freezing 5 mile run whatever the breed; but, we can treadmill to get them exercises - just like we exercise ourselves. We use the treadmill and people scream 'dogfighter' - others use treadmills and here's what you get: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2433173827.

We springpole and people scream 'dogfighter' - others do it and here's how it's marketed: http://www.alphadogtoys.com/long_rope_t ... andle.html

There are other examples as well but the main thing to understand is that WE ARE PET OWNERS... just like other breed pet owners. Some of us show, some of us work in obedience, some in agility, dock dogs, flyball, Schutzhund... we all love and adore our dogs, we are all against dog fighting, we've all been clear, for a VERY long time, on exactly what we face 'out there'. It's hard for us (I think I can speak for, at least, most of us) to think that people want footage of our adored pets having fun, staying fit, getting WORK, to show what 'dogfighters' do - we are not dogfighters. It would be nice to show that we work our dogs, they're adored pets, great workers, lovely dogs with lovely temperaments - instead of demons.

I hope you can do a show that explains that a lot of us out here have pit bulls as pets - they don't bite, we understand our breed, we love our dogs and work them to keep them fit for sports... not fights. We are responsible and expect others to be as well. It would be nice to hear that it's unnecessary to ban, restrict or whatever else it's being called out there and it would be nice to hear someone stand up for our dogs (and us) and not be cowed. I hope it's you, Ashley. I really, really do.

Good luck and I hope you learn a tremendous amount about our much maligned breed. What you'll find here are ardent supporters of the true bulldog. What you'll find here are people who really cherish their pets, the breed and others who are responsible with their pets regardless of breed.

~kirstan and Recycle-A-Bull

dawgdays
www.BadRap.org

Postby dawgdays » Wed May 28, 2008 6:08 pm

I hope you don't mind me sharing this Ashley. As people think up ways to help you with video footage, etc., it helps to know what you're looking for and how it will be used:

Our documentary is about rehabilitation and that the Vick pit bulls can be rehabilitated, and that not all pit bulls are bad. It focuses on breaking down the myths and stereotypes about the breed, and the dogs we profile are shown to be sweet, intelligent dogs, anxious to please people. The documentary also shows what the dogs have gone through in their dogfighting days, including training techniques used with fight dogs. We are aware that many people train pit bulls without fighting as a goal. It just happens to be that people also use those same methods to train fight dogs. We are definitely working to show that pit bulls are lovable dogs and don't deserve the bad rap they have received. We are working to research and find out the facts about dogfighting as well as the facts about the pit bull breed.

One thing to note is that a large number of Vick's dogs *did not need* 'rehabilitating' and most had NOT been fought. By focusing on 'techniques' for conditioning dogs to fight, you risk stereotyping the very dogs you're trying to help. A number of our Vick dogs , for example, use the treadmill everyday. It would be terrible if the neighbors or our foster homes watched your show, for example, and came away with the idea that they were being conditioned to fight! Even worse if your show gave a teenager in Oakland the idea to go out and buy a treadmill so he could condition his own dog for battle.

Sharing information comes with a lot of responsibility. I recognize that you want a juicy show filled with exciting scenes, but please be aware that what you broadcast can end up being more hype than help to these animals.

Feel free to ask more questions. We're all very interested in helping you develop a story that is in the best interest of the dogs.

Saradog
Newborn Bully

Postby Saradog » Wed May 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Welcome, Ashley. If NatGeo can come to Canada, I can direct you to a certified service "pit bull" dog, an obedience champion "pit bull", a "pit bull" that competes in agility, and other examples of these wonderful dogs. There's also Kris Crawford in the US with her cross-trained search and rescue/therapy "pit bulls", and Wallace the "wonder pit bull".

I'd love to see an upbeat, inspiring story of how these dogs, many/most of them rescues, overcame tough beginnings to become breed ambassadors and beloved pets.

How about covering the broken hearts of people who had their dogs killed by breed-specific legislation, or had to move to save their dogs? Like Buddy in Denver?

http://caveat.blogware.com/blog/_archiv ... 64629.html

nthesticks
Newborn Bully

Postby nthesticks » Wed May 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Welcome. I would love to see good story, with facts about the breeds that BSL wants to ban.

I would love to see education = responsible education and pet ownership goes hand-in-hand and with education will come the knowledge that owning a bully carries a continual need to take NOTHING for granted.

may we educate the public that people are more of the problem than any of the dogs we love.

Return to “Introductions”