Lara in Minnesota

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Lara
Newborn Bully

Lara in Minnesota

Postby Lara » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:24 pm

Hello All-

My name is Lara. I am 39, legally recognized as single but do have an SO. I am an English major who works as an Office Manager for a small progressive technology firm downtown Minneapolis. I live in North Minneapolis, a part of the city notorious for its pit over population and underground dog fighting.

I work with what I feel to be the best rescue group in Minnesota - A Rotta Love Plus. I see that Kellie & Rachel are members of this forum too so I finally got around to joining! I know there are many other ALRP-ers on this forum as well. I do a lot of the blogging for the group www.arottalove.org/blog and I also foster.

Additionally I was a part of the ARLP who staked out the capital this year fighting BSL.

I first became acquainted with bullies back in the early 80s. My neighbor had a male pit named "Tank". Tank enjoyed playing with two-by-fours and tires. I was immediately smitten.

When I babysat the kids, Tank had to stay in the basement and I was not aloud to interact with him when his owners were not around. And actually was not able to really interact with him when they were around. See there was this fear even then. So I think I got to pet him once.

Later, my boyfriend and I got a female pit Boxer mix Mala. boy did I love her. But when the relationship ended he got the dog. Why? I can assure you it was only because he was bigger and stronger.

Then I got Ike. He is my beautiful Greyhound Pointer mix. he is now 13. Then there came Debbie. She was four when I adopted her and is now 9. She has been my labor of love.

Mala was easy. Debbie was difficult. She was horribly dog aggressive which did not fully manifest itself until I had her about a year. Of course now that I am more knowledgeable I see there were signs I should have nipped in the bud. So after a close call incident Debbie I went to boot camp.

Life changed dramatically. I am so thankful for the trainers who taught me how to effectively work with Debbie and channel her energy and brilliance else where. Sometimes we still have issues but they are small. And I can now foster without crating and rotating. Debbie is a happier dog and I am much more in control and relaxed owner.

Then there came the Chi as in Chihuahua. He was rescued from a puppy mill in Ohio. My intent was to foster but well I failed. He has been with me a little over a year now and continues to improve although I suspect he will never be completely trusting of anyone but me. Even after a year he merely tolerates the SO. Chi wants nothing to do with him. He does seem to like to be around the ladies though he only likes to watch them.

My current foster is Meeko. he is a Boxer pit mix. You can actually see pictures of him in Kellie's post highlighting Pride in Minneapolis. He is my fourth foster and all but adopted.

This is my current menagerie -

nearest to furthest: Chi, Debbie, Meeko & Ike

My dude also has a pit bull named Madeline you can visit www.madelineandi.com to see pics of her.

You can read more about me, my dogs and my fosters than you ever wanted to know on the blog! But you can also keep up with what is going on with ARLP in Minnesota there too.

I hope the intro isn't too much of a ramble and covers all the good stuff.

I look forward to reading more on your fabulous forum!

prettylilpollock
Newborn Bully

Postby prettylilpollock » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:53 pm

WELCOME TO THE FORUM !!! :) :)

Heidi2001
Newborn Bully

Postby Heidi2001 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:53 pm

They are so cute! Oh by the way my Daughters name is Madeline!
LOL

cdogg
Newborn Bully

Postby cdogg » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi Lara! A Rotta Love rocks. And you're doing a great job with the blog.

chanceboo
Newborn Bully

Postby chanceboo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:55 pm

Hi!! I absolutely love the fact that they have taken over the bed!!!

sueb
Addicted to PBF

Postby sueb » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:38 pm

Wow! Great intro! You'll fit in well here. Welcome to the forum.

Tahla9999
Bully Ambassador

Postby Tahla9999 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Then there came the Chi as in Chihuahua. He was rescued from a puppy mill in Ohio. My intent was to foster but well I failed. He has been with me a little over a year now and continues to improve although I suspect he will never be completely trusting of anyone but me. Even after a year he merely tolerates the SO. Chi wants nothing to do with him. He does seem to like to be around the ladies though he only likes to watch them.

Welcome! What you must understand is that chihuahuas are pimps. :cool:

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:36 am

Beautiful pack!!! Welcome to the board..

Debby

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:05 am

Nice family you have there!

Welcome to the forums

benny*kaya*sadie
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby benny*kaya*sadie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:10 am

welcome your pack is beautiful!!!

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Lara

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:07 pm

WELCOME!

Beautiful dogs!! I love your Chi, I have one too! People thought I was nuts to have a pit and a Chi. lmao

roflmao

Slave to the Dogs
Matured Bully

Postby Slave to the Dogs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Well it's about time lady...and what a thorough introduction.... :))

I think you'll like it here...

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:14 pm

Welcome to you and your pack.

Return to “Introductions”