New member from NJ here!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Sandwich
Newborn Bully

New member from NJ here!

Postby Sandwich » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:46 am

Hey guys [and gals] my name is Anthony, I'm 25 and from north Jersey. I have a 2.5 year old pitbull at home who's name is Blackie and he's my best friend. I got him at 8 weeks old as a little tiny thing and now he's a 72 pound tank. I love him more than life itself although it's been a rough 2.5 years. He's the first dog I've ever owned, although I grew up with a poodle in the household (whoop-de-do :\ ). I adopted Blackie from a family that lived in my town who had just got him and then decided they were moving out of the country so the dog had to go. He was not neutured when I got him and he is still not..however he has an appointment next wednesday the 16th to go in for the surgery. I have my own house, not an apartment, so just him and I have full reign of the place. I kennel him while I'm at work from 6:30 to 3:30pm because he has shown destructive characteristics in the past and I've come home to ripped up carpets and stuff everywhere. So since then I've installed hardwood floors and kennel him. By now he's used to the kennel and goes inside without a struggle.
Overall I think he's a great dog, very friendly to all humans. But very protective of himself and me from other dogs. When he was smaller I would socialize him at the local dog park, but since he's gotten older he's gotten a different attitude at the park so I no longer take him. Now the first thing he does in the park is sniff the other dogs, socialize a little then go grab a ball somewhere and pick a spot and lay down and chew it. And if anything comes near him he gets aggresive and protective of his area. Other issues are he pulls on the leash..although after about 20 seconds of walking and 1 or 2 snaps of the leash he stops that. He also has a thing with jumping up on people which I can't seem to stop and gets so overly excited around people that he doesn't listen or even seem to know his name at all.
What I'd like to get out of this forum is maybe read about how other people have solved the issues that I have and maybe find some training assistance. I hope it's not too late for a 2.5 year old dog to be trained like a puppy. I don't have a big backyard, nor is it fenced in.. so his walks are his exercise. I'd like to get back in the dog park eventually with him so he can run around and get some real exercise again. If there are events or meets of any kind with other pitbull owners in the area I'd also be interested in those.

I'm at work right now, so I don't really have any pictures of him here but I will definitely post some pictures up when I get home later on today

:peace:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:51 am

Hi and welcome to the forum

Dog parks :
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=50274

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 am

Welcome Anthony!

Sounds like a great dog, would love to see some pics!

With bullys, obivously, they are natural protective of their pack leader and their toys, treat, etc. And one thing that will make that natural instinct worse...is him not being neutered!

My pup is 7-1/2 months and has been in training since about three or four months old and that is all I have heard from my trainers and the vets! "HE NEEDS TO BE NEUTERED" is what they keep telling my boyfriend and I. And we dont plan on it because we are planning on breeding him.

So, I hope that helps abit, and maybe once he has his surgery, the aggression might calm down a bit! Good luck and welcome!

sueb
Addicted to PBF

Postby sueb » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:22 am

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn about pit bulls. I'm glad to hear that you are going to have him neutered. Thank you for adopting him.

I can't wait to see pictures!

Sandwich
Newborn Bully

Postby Sandwich » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:27 am

SO, I guess the dog park has been ruled out. thanks for the link.

i'll def. post some pics when i get home

twindc23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby twindc23 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:43 am

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 am

SonnysMomma wrote:My pup is 7-1/2 months and has been in training since about three or four months old and that is all I have heard from my trainers and the vets! "HE NEEDS TO BE NEUTERED" is what they keep telling my boyfriend and I. And we dont plan on it because we are planning on breeding him.

This is a little off topic but I wanted to add this in after ready your post. If you are planning to breed your male make sure you look at all the threads on responsible breeding vs BYBs and do it the right way or have him neutered. At 7-1/2 months old it is still way to early to know if he will even be worthy of being bred when he is old enough. Just some food for thought.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:53 am

Sandwich wrote:SO, I guess the dog park has been ruled out. thanks for the link.

i'll def. post some pics when i get home
Glad that helped.

I'm looking forward to the picts. :thumbsup:

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:54 am

Its just a plan...its nothing we have decided fully on. We also planned on clipping his ears as a pup, but changed our minds.

If we did breed him, i would to as much research as I could!

I am so glad that I joined PFB because I have all you for advice to help me out with my questions and decisions!

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:30 am

SonnysMomma wrote:Its just a plan...its nothing we have decided fully on. We also planned on clipping his ears as a pup, but changed our minds.

If we did breed him, i would to as much research as I could!

I am so glad that I joined PFB because I have all you for advice to help me out with my questions and decisions!
Glad to have you aboard!

Sandwich
Newborn Bully

Postby Sandwich » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:50 am

I don't really like the clipped ear look. He's too cute with his big floppy ears and i use those to grab when giving him affection/praise. he loves it.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:16 am

Sandwich wrote:I don't really like the clipped ear look. He's too cute with his big floppy ears and i use those to grab when giving him affection/praise. he loves it.

Yea me too...i always play with his ears...espically at night when he is laying in the bed with me,, i rub them until we both fall asleep!

KJAX5252
Super Bully

Postby KJAX5252 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:19 am

Welcome! Blackie sounds like a pretty cool pup :)

My male dog is also a huge fan of taking his ball, laying down and chewing on it to avoid company of other dogs.
He usually does this to avoid his more energetic female companion or any other houseguests we have at the moment since we dont do dog parks.

If your main exercise with Blackie is walks, then maybe you could get a backpack or something to add some weight that will tire him out quicker.
We use one and put water bottles in it. Comes in handy for us all :))

benny*kaya*sadie
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby benny*kaya*sadie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:56 am

welcome to the forum! cant wait to see pictures!

ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovemypits » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Welcome to the forum!!!

Return to “Introductions”