Walking Belt?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Walking Belt?

Postby MissKitty » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Can anyone suggest a brand (preferably not too pricey) of walking belt/hands free belt they like?
I would like something that can be pulled on (the one I had just broke, with one small tug) and is comfortable for me. It will be used for jogs.

Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Re: Walking Belt?

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:10 pm

http://www.bluedogtraining.com/leashes.html

Would recommend these ones.
Dont come in blue anymore only in brown.
Very durable, never seen one break and I have behavioural trainer friends who use them with very large dogs.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 pm

How much of "can be pulled on" do you need? Sarah's belt, the one Keira&Phoenix mentioned, is not comfortable if you are jogging with a strong puller. Not because the material is flimsy, I use it myself with clients dogs with aggression issues (would love different hardware though) , but because of the pressure on your hip area and the belt width if you were to jog a puller for long periods of time.

I use this for road work, which means that my dogs are wearing a padded harness and they are allowed to pull for long distance exercise:

It is a skijoring belt that I modified, pricey but the padding on my lower back is amazing.That thing survived some serious abuse and I have had it for about 9 years (still use it by the way).

Only picture I could fund of this, but I made it for regular walks or training, for much less money.

That tactical belt has a double layer of 40mm nylon webbing, to which I added hardware.I don't have any new belt right now, or I'd offer to make you one. Is that something that could work for you? I can send you more info so you can make your own set up. Keep in mind that the D ring I have on it is free moving, as I do not have a heavy duty sawing machine to lock it in specific parts of that belt.

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:08 am

I love mine I got it here http://nooksackracing.com/skijoring.html Only $22 with the shipping. I've been using it for a hands free. My boy is highly reactive to people and being able to have both hands available to work him has been a gods send. It's very comfortable and has stood up pretty well so far, I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but haven't had any issues yet.

Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:31 am

i guess i dont understand, can someone explain to me why this is more desireable then the regular hand leash and collar?

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:23 pm

That Trekking belt looks awesome! I emailed them about shipping to Canada, at it literally costs more to ship it, than the cost of the belt itself. Dangit Canada, make more dog stuff!!

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:41 am

I love, love, LOVE my Ruffwear Flat Out Leash!

http://www.ruffwear.com/Flat-Out-Leash_6?sc=2&category=15

I use it as a hands free tool when training, I walk Jaka on it, I love the traffic handle, it's VERY useful and I love the new Talon Clip, because it's strong and Jaka can't shake it open.

But yeah, the padding on the handle is minimal so if you need more padding and a wider belt I would buy a canicross belt or something like that.

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 am

Breezy833 wrote:i guess i dont understand, can someone explain to me why this is more desireable then the regular hand leash and collar?

It allows you to walk a dog or dogs hands free.

I find it invaluable as I walk three dogs, push a stroller and have a toddler holding one hand. It is also nice for jogging as I do not worry about any pulling or jerking on the dog's neck with the back and forth movement of the arms while jogging and I can move both arms freely so I keep my stride balanced. I have a d ring on a belt with 2 foot leashes that clip to the dog and the d ring (similar to the one Red posted for regular walks). My set up is not designed for a dog to continually pull but has withstood the pulling that has occurred.

The main disadvantage that I see is if a random dog were to run up and an altercation were to occur, I am attached to the dogs (which has not happened, I try to be very aware of my surroundings and head off any issues). I will say that it is important that your dog is leash trained before heading out with them clipped to your waist.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Breezy833 wrote:i guess i dont understand, can someone explain to me why this is more desireable then the regular hand leash and collar?

I use hands free for jogging. Holding a leash messes up my natural movement and also risks jerking on the leash.

For right now I am using a modified walking belt, I added an O-ring and carabiner. It is not ideal but it works for now, until I am afford something better.

The belt is made out of seatbelt material-
IMG_1124 by FoundinShadow, on Flickr

Has an extra large plastic buckle, in case I need to remove the belt in an emergency-
IMG_1125 by FoundinShadow, on Flickr

And the set up I added-
IMG_1127 by FoundinShadow, on Flickr

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”