Crates/Cages - Pads or pillows?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Crates/Cages - Pads or pillows?

Postby KanersHuman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Kaner chewed up at least 5 dog beds in his cage before we got him futon mattresses to sleep on. We tried giving him chew toys or even real bones to curb the bed chewing but no matter what he would tear a hole in those flimsy cheap pillows you get at walmart/pet stores etc.

I was thinking about getting this http://www.k9ballistics.com/Tuff-Bed-Cr ... _p_37.html for the crate.

Anyone have experience with something like this? Is this like a temporary pad for when a service technician is in the home or will it be comfortable enough to sleep on?

That site also has these. Memory foam beds :). Dog will sleep better than me! http://www.k9ballistics.com/Orthopedic- ... _p_90.html

Any tips about what/where to get a durable 'chew proof' bed/mat for a crate?

Thanks.

Curly_07

Re: Crates/Cages - Pads or pillows?

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Lady Bug gets dog beds, blankets, pads, whatever. She doesn't chew anything up, she's an easy goin gal. Curly Sue...she doesn't get anything but an old sheet. She will shred anything that's in her crate or next to it that she can reach to pull in, except for this old sheet. Most of the time though, she will push the sheet into a corner and lay on the hard surface. That's just her thing, and she is content like that.

KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Postby KanersHuman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:56 pm

This is what Kaner sleeps on now. My mom sews mini quilts for babies. She gave him two without filler. Not sure where that blue Christmas blanket came from in the pic lol probably my niece when she visited.

{img]http://www.wiremunky.com/image/kaner/kanersbed.jpg[/img]

With the other beds he chews a hole and then has a little party with the stuffing. Maybe i can keep it simple with something like a denim quilt. Something that wont easily tear and without stuffing.

KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Postby KanersHuman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:04 pm

KanersHuman wrote:Image

Sparkles
Newborn Bully

Postby Sparkles » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Violet has a blanket on the floor of my bedroom...I'm a single gal....so when I "don't" have company with is almost always...she sleeps here....

With me... lol

Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Funny this was brought up, i just got Appa a new pillow for the crate today. My boyfriend laughed at it when i came in the house. We haven't had much luck with stuff in his cage. Towels , blankets, a little bed. It seems to mostly be though if we let him play with it outside of the cage. As soon as it becomes a toy, or a date :kiss: (eek!) it kills it. Theres been a blanket in there for a couple weeks now and i havent seen him drag it out and do gross boy stuff to it. So i decided maybe we could upgrade to a big pillow.

Today is the first day he's had it and he has gone to lay in there for a hour or so 3 times! previously he would Never choose to go in his crate. I hope it lasts. i like to think he's comfy while we'er at work

Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:21 am

And i'm gettin him neutered in the next week or so, i thought he might like somethin soft to recover on

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 am

I use crib mattresses with slip covers that I've made with zippers so they are easy to clean. Chloé chewed EVERYTHING I put in there, even a "Chewproof" Kong bed, before I bought her the crib mattress. You can get a mattress for about $45 at Wal-Mart and I use fleece for the slip covers as it dries quickly and is pretty durable, so I spent around $65 total for the one in her crate.

LizIs
Newborn Bully

Postby LizIs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:25 am

They're not chew proof, but I use sleeping bags. I got rid of every doggie bed in the house last November and replaced them all with sleeping bags. I cannot say enough about how much easier they are to care for... and my house smells A LOT better. I get the cheap ones ($15-18 or so at Walmart). I use them to line crates (my little terrier Matilda has a Disney Princesses sleeping bag in hers) and I fold them in squares on the floor as dog beds. For small crates, I get the kiddie sleeping bags. For Boss' extra large crate, I line it with 2.

They are cool in the summer and warm in the winter. My dogs are not interested in chewing them, they can be mashed up and pawed at (my dogs are all very dedicated to stamping down their bedding into nest form) and they machine wash very very well. They don't absorb odor and hold fur like fleece beds. And the entire bag can be washed, unlike some beds with removable covers. With those beds, sure the cover gets clean but if the stuffing inside smells to high heaven it doesn't do much good. I have had the same sleeping bags for almost a year now and they are all in very good condition and still smell fresh when I take them out of the wash.

I should have switched to sleeping bags a long time ago. It would have saved me a ton of deodorizing... not to mention money! A good doggie bed can sell for $40 or more and I was lucky if it lasted a year. So from now on, screw that. I'm going to the outdoors/camping department for my crate liners. :)

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”