First Aid Kit Ideas?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Maverick
Matured Bully

First Aid Kit Ideas?

Postby Maverick » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:10 am

Hi there

Now that my dogs are in their senior years (7, 8, and 9) I think I need to be more organized and assemble a first aid kit. There are some for pets I've seen, but they seem pretty hokey. I'd rather get the pieces myself and put it in a container. I have bandage scissors, different bandage types, gauze, etc...but nothing really in one spot, and I'm sure that I don't have certain things I may need down the road.

What do you suggest to have in a first aid kit? I don't need a full run down, but maybe things that are more important for senior dog issues (seizures ie), and of course everyone has their own preferences to certain items that may help, so any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Nick

jamielvsaustin

Re: First Aid Kit Ideas?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:50 am

I don't know about specific things for seniors (though I'm interested because I guess technically my guys are seniors)...but the one thing that sticks out in my mind that we find ourselves using here frequently is vet wrap. It's like bandagey stuff, but it sticks to itself. And for use we'd need a full box of benedryl. Maybe some alcohol if your dog gets overheated you can put it on the dog's chest/arm pit area? Something to clean wounds with-we really don't like using hydrogen perxiode. What about the stuff that stops nails from bleeding if you've quicked the dog.

We keep all of our dog stuff in a closet next to the guest bathroom...they have about two shelves worth of stuff. It's where we keep their flea/heartworm medicines, the vet wrap and benedryl, we also have the stuff we use to give them baths (it's medicated) and little round makeup pads for when we clean their ears. There's other stuff too.

Maverick
Matured Bully

Postby Maverick » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:45 am

Good feedback, thanks!
I've got all of that including vet wrap (its great).
Quick stop, or styptic pencil/powder is for the nails. We have that too because I clip all three of them, always have it next to me.
I would use Hydrogen Peroxide for cleaning blood and such...do you prefer something else?

It's a good idea to keep a couple different widths of bandage tape too, you never know if you need thin of thick.
I keep cast padding too, because when Maverick had "happy tail" for months, I wrapped gauze first, cast padding, then vet wrap and taped it. Was tricky to get it to stay, and he needed to be supervised (it's fun to rip off right?) - but the padding offered comfort when his tail wagged into anything.

Keep it coming, this is good.
N

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:45 am

Maverick wrote:I would use Hydrogen Peroxide for cleaning blood and such...do you prefer something else?

From what I understand hydrogen peroxide prevents new cell growth-specifically with the skin. And it may even be that it doesn't just prevent it, it destroys healthy growth. From what I've always been told, to use it the first time you notice a cut/injury on your dog is no big deal. But if you continue to use it after that first time you're slowing the process at which your dog will heal (making their body work twice as hard).

I supposed we just use warm water and soap for most things. We have a bottle of solution we got from the vet...but right now I can't remember if it's for cuts and stuff, or if it's what we use in the dogs ears to clean them (Austin does most of that).

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:18 pm

I have a first aid kit I keep at home, and take with me when hiking. It has:

-Saline eye rinse
-Saline wound wash
-Bactine
-Tweezers
-Scissors
-Gauze
-Vet wrap
-Styptic powder/gel
-Hydrogen peroxide (to induce vomiting)
-Activated charcoal (to soak up any leftover bad things eaten)
-Benedryl
-Gas-X (in case of bloat)
-Medical staple gun (in case we're out hiking and a big gash occurs)

I also keep calendula gel and Vetericyn spray at home to help speed wound healing.

shelboriah
Matured Bully

Postby shelboriah » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Great suggestions! Make sure your peroxide is fresh if you're using it to induce vomiting. Gas-ex isn't going to do much if you've got a true bloat- it won't make it into the stomach. Saline eye wash is a really good one and something I'll be adding to my kit, thanks!
I've got....
Vetwrap
Gauze rolls
Gauze squares
White tape
Elasticon (stretchy tape)
Chlorhexidine solution for flushing wounds
Hemastats
Tweezers
Scissors
Ace bandage
Benadryl
Rimadyl
Prednisone
H2O2

Also- put your vet emergency numbers in there so you don't have to fumble with your phone if you suddenly have an emergency

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”