How to weight pull question

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

How to weight pull question

Postby loye » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Any DIYers out there that can help me with how to build my own weight pull cart or something like that? I would like to start Izzy with weight pull to get some of her energy out and would like to build it myself...maybe save some money? Thanks

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:16 pm

Do you want a drag sled or a cart with wheels? With a drag sled you can train by yourself but with a cart you need an extra person to help.

A cart can be purchased cheaper than you can make it. Tractor Supply has garden carts for under $100.00

For a drag sled you need to be able to cut and weld metal. My DH is working on some right now depending on where in MI you're located.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Oscar and I are starting weight pull (as soon as his harness arrives in the mail) and we're just using the harness and tow chain for now. We'll likely add a tire or something else eventually.

That is to say, a cart isn't necessary to do the training!

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:25 pm

Amie wrote:Oscar and I are starting weight pull (as soon as his harness arrives in the mail) and we're just using the harness and tow chain for now. We'll likely add a tire or something else eventually.

That is to say, a cart isn't necessary to do the training!

Very true, that's how we started. A chain, a tire, and harness.

leopardjunkie
Adolescent Bully

Postby leopardjunkie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:57 pm

While you figure out what kinda of cart you want, if you can't get your hands on a tire you can use things around the house too!! I started out with pop bottles filled with gravel....to add more weight I added more pop bottles so I had a triangle of sorts made out of 2 liters and duct tape...

I got a few tires from the tire place and also a cart from home depot

For weight in the cart I use old kitty litter containers and fill with water and sand....

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:24 pm

For drag weight, I use old-fashioned lead window weights. I have several of them, each of which weighs about 5 pounds, so I can adjust the weight I put on the dogs as necessary, and I attach them to a chain, which is clipped to the harness. The weights cost me $1 each at a store that sells stuff reclaimed from old houses.

I used a tire at one time, but it was too much weight for my dog, and taught her bad habits.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:20 pm

I do the same as Sarah, a length of chain, and window weights.

loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby loye » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks everyone! I think I might try to start with the window weights or a tire, then maybe get a cart. I know there was a site posted on here somewhere that does the custom weight pull harnesses. Would pet shops have just like the general sizes (s, m, l)?

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:39 pm

Pet shops don't typically carry weight pull harnesses. Go with a harness maker. In my experience, the generic-sized ones are only fractionally cheaper than the custom-made ones, and you'll find yourself wanting to replace them in short order. Save yourself a step and buy a good one from the start.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:22 pm

mopulldogs, a member of PBF, makes excellent harnesses. Some of the top weight pull dogs use harnesses she has made. Her prices are very reasonable.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”