Break Stick/Parting Stick

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Break Stick/Parting Stick

Postby SonnysMomma » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:49 pm

I just have a quick question. Does anyone that has just one dog...carry there break stick on them at all times...walks, trips to pet store...anywhere??

We dont have one and I never really thought about getting one until now, just as a safety mesausre.

I was just curious.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:08 pm

I carry mine on walks plus the ones around the house. Obrien's Supply has them the cheapest I found but you can make them too.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:14 pm

embarassingly, i don't currently own a break stick, and yet i make them for my local pit bull rescue group for fundraisers. :oops:

they're pretty simple to make, and they're hard to get up here in canada because no one ships them up here due to them being "dog fighting parephenalia"

i HAD one... but maggie decided it was a great chew toy and mangled it up. lol

i'm going to be making some more this weekend, and i'll be sure to make a couple for myself this time! :thumbsup:

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:28 pm

kaytenmags wrote:embarassingly, i don't currently own a break stick, and yet i make them for my local pit bull rescue group for fundraisers. :oops:

they're pretty simple to make, and they're hard to get up here in canada because no one ships them up here due to them being "dog fighting parephenalia"

i HAD one... but maggie decided it was a great chew toy and mangled it up. lol

i'm going to be making some more this weekend, and i'll be sure to make a couple for myself this time! :thumbsup:

HOw do you make them?

spammie

Postby spammie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:29 pm

I carry one every time we leave the house. At home, I keep one indoors and one outdoors at all times.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:32 pm

kaytenmags wrote:i HAD one... but maggie decided it was a great chew toy and mangled it up. lol

For some reason, this TOTALLY cracked me up!

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:43 pm

SonnysMomma wrote:HOw do you make them?

i buy hammer handles (good hard wood) and plane them down so that they're tapered on one end. sand them so they're nice n smooth, drill a hole in the 'handle' end, tie some pretty ribbon through it so that you can hang it up, and voila! (yes, i always use colourful ribbon. then they're practical AND pretty ;) )

meginok wrote:
kaytenmags wrote:i HAD one... but maggie decided it was a great chew toy and mangled it up. lol

For some reason, this TOTALLY cracked me up!

well i had tried to 'test' it on her before, when she was clinging to a rope tug toy, but she instantly let go of the toy to get the break stick. but hey, whatever works! lol

leatherman_cowboy
Newborn Bully

Sticks

Postby leatherman_cowboy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:49 am

Sticks are a bad way to break dogs apart.It can do serius damage to the teeth and jaw.Also you will have to get very close to the fight.I broke two dogs that was locked on one another with my pepper spray.The result was instant.Or carry a spray bottle with 20% vinegar and 80% water.It will have the same effect.
Thank you,
Henry.

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Sticks

Postby innocence621 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:56 am

leatherman_cowboy wrote:Sticks are a bad way to break dogs apart.It can do serius damage to the teeth and jaw.Also you will have to get very close to the fight.I broke two dogs that was locked on one another with my pepper spray.The result was instant.Or carry a spray bottle with 20% vinegar and 80% water.It will have the same effect.
Thank you,
Henry.

Uhhh...no

If used properly you won't break their teeth, at least I haven't broke any.

Not ALL dogs will let go even when being sprayed with pepper spray or water and vinegar...I have one that won't and she's 10 years old! A breakstick is the safest way to break up a fight, for the owner and dogs involved. Unless you have a dog that redirects and that's a whole 'nother story.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Re: Sticks

Postby julie64 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:29 am

leatherman_cowboy wrote:Sticks are a bad way to break dogs apart.It can do serius damage to the teeth and jaw.Also you will have to get very close to the fight.I broke two dogs that was locked on one another with my pepper spray.The result was instant.Or carry a spray bottle with 20% vinegar and 80% water.It will have the same effect.
Thank you,
Henry.

Did you read that about the jaw and teeth damage or from personal experience?
Break stick is a fast and effective way to break up a fight. You got lucky with the pepper spray, as it doesn't always work.

leatherman_cowboy
Newborn Bully

Sticks

Postby leatherman_cowboy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:41 pm

I have talked to vets and also a freind of mine thats is a vet.He sees all kinds of trauma,and recomended the pepper or vinagar.Also a nother freind thats is a profeccional dog trainer,who have worked with big cats in La Zoo.This is the product used there.
Jaws only go one way,so commen sence will almost dictate that if you are trying to insert and then pry open angry dogs in full attac mode--serious damage can accur.
The spray works wonders on people,and our sence of smell is weak compared to dogs,so the spray is instant and you dont need to worry about getting your hands close to big strong teeth.
I have NEVER used a stick in any matter on dogs.Don make any sence to me,but people will use what they feel comftble with.
Thank you,
Henry.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:24 pm

Uhm. I saw a woman not only douse her dog in bleach, but her attempts to also beat her bulldog off of a cow with a 2x4 to the skull were also in vain. The dog probably would have died in hold had someone not come along with a makeshift breakstick.

In my experience-
a bulldog getting down and dirty a'int letting go because he gets a face full of mace.

leatherman_cowboy
Newborn Bully

Stick

Postby leatherman_cowboy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Like I said,,,we all use what we think will work the best.I saw the instant result with the pepper,and would Never use a solid weapon on anything I hold dear.
Sometimes if we dont know of other ways,,i say work with what ever is avl.
Thank you,
Henry.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 am

OP...I only have Khan and I bring a break stick on every walk. We don't go to pet stores or stuff like that though.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:11 am

Properly used, the parting stick is a safe way to seperate dogs. You could explode TNT up my dogs bum during a fight and she WILL NOT release.
Dunno...it's a terrier thing :thumbsup:

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”