Do booties really work

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
kia
Newborn Bully

Do booties really work

Postby kia » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:32 pm

We live in Quebec and I am wondering if there are any good booties that actually work for dogs. We used to live in the Rockies where the temperatures were similar.... but they used sand, not salt on the roads. Here everything is salted and I think it's hard on doggie paws. I am tempted to get some booties but I'm wondering if they actually work... ie stay on, not piss off the dog, or are they just a cute urban accessory for your dog that isn't really useful.

Any comments out there? Are booties necessary? Do the paws toughen up? Kia starts limping for a while, then walks it off. Next thing, it's another paw that bugs her, then she's fine for a while.... and that's how the walk goes.

Is it worse for dogs with fur-less paws? Kia toenail beds start to bleed from the ice sometimes but that doesn't seem to bug her at all. At least the snow doesn't clump up between the toes like is does on retrievers.

bullygrunt
Newborn Bully

Postby bullygrunt » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:41 pm

My dog hates the booties! We got some Musher's Secret wax and it seems to have helped so far this season. (http://www.jbpet.com/Mushers-Secret,2338.html) I think it is worse for dogs with fur-less paws.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:45 pm

I've used booties on Jack anytime we've been in snowy areas and they really work great to keep his feet protected. If its snow or ice you're worried about, just be sure you're getting the waterproof ones.

It is quite the comical scene when a dog is first introduced to them, but just pair it with a fun game or some yummy treats and it should be just fine.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:49 pm

We just got out the boots for the first time today. The dogs were less than please, but they had to suck it up. lol

I've tried a few different types and keep coming back to Muttluks. They're not perfect, but they've worked the best so far :dunno:

I don't know where in Quebec you are, but in Montreal they just salt too heavily to try and go without the boots. I see so many dogs limping around on 3 legs, and tons of people ask me were to get boots because the salt is just over the top here.

kia
Newborn Bully

Postby kia » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:07 pm

Thanks... that's helpful.
We live in Gatineau and yes... the amount of salt on the roads is stupid. I hate to think what it's doing to my car. Since it's now the law (or almost is law... Dec 15th) to have snow tires, maybe they could lay off the salt a little.

I'll start shopping around for boots.

louie
Adolescent Bully

Postby louie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots™ Grip Trex?

http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Gri ... ategory=11

They're pricey but they look nice.

Backpackin Pitbull
Newborn Bully

what ones are best?

Postby Backpackin Pitbull » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 am

I was looking at booties for my dog. I found this site http://www.dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html anyone had any experience?

Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red Brindle » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:44 pm

I got these after being advised that the salt will make a dogs paws crack and bleed. I like that they are from a mushing website so I figure they will be durable. http://www.prolitegear.com/granite_gear ... oties.html
I haven't used them more than 2 dozen times though so I don't know if they are durable on concrete though. They are made with or without the ski skin bottom.

When you put the booties on the dog, do it gradually. I think the cabella's website has a video on how to do it but I didn't order their booties. Anyway, start handling your dogs paws right now. Get her used to it. Then do one booty the first time until she is comfortable, then 2 then 3, then 4.

You will get a hilarious reaction when you put them on, especially the back legs. Huckabee was a bit uncomfortable pooping at first when they were on her back paws and she would reach her back paws out horizontal and give a shake then scurry forward quickly.

Also, you can buy a pet friendly salt to use at your house if you don't want to put the booties on every time you take the dog out to go potty.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red Brindle » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:08 pm

LOL, two dogs doing the bootie shuffle. Awesome!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:05 pm

Do the Muttluks work okay in fairly deep snow? Roscoe's feet keep getting cut and bleeding on our walks in the woods, so I got him some Muttluks yesterday. My husband was rather dubious that they'd give him enough traction. Of course their expense didn't really help either. I tried the paw wax and it didn't help much.

WantToRescueInPA
Newborn Bully

Postby WantToRescueInPA » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:14 pm

kaytenmags wrote:BEST dog booties video ever:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... omon+boots
roflmao

Lol, my old roommate's dog does the same thing!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:54 am

Here's a shot of Molly in her Muttluks. We went snowshoeing northwest of Lake Tahoe recently. The snow was fairly packed on the main parts of the trails we were on but there were pockets where I would sink up to my knees even with snowshoes. One boot or another came off Molly's feet about 5 or 6 times – I didn't want to over-tighten the velcro and mess up circulation to her feet. She did fine with the boots even when we hit a really powdery patch.

I really recommend finding a store that has them so you can try them on. Based on their sizing info I found online, I thought she would wear a medium or large but we had to get x-large and her feet are not huge. When we were at the store, it was the first time we tried putting boots on her so I just kept feeding her treat after treat as we were struggling with getting the right size. Normally, I wouldn't give her treat after treat like that but when we got up to the snow and I pulled the boots out, she did not put up any fuss :)

The Ruffwear booties look amazing but they are more than double the price of the Muttluks. I think if we lived somewhere where it snows (rather than having to travel to it), I would eventually want to invest in a really good pair like those.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:53 am

We have muttluks for Ella.
They work FANTASTICALLY, but in deep snow, just beware the snow WILL get into the cuff of the boot and sit there.
They'd be great for going for a walk on plowed streets/shoveled sidewalks, but romping around in 2' of snow?
Just make sure you brush the snow out of the cuff so it's not sitting on your dog's ankle.

I put Ella's on her when it's zero or below and icy. She tolerates them well, but she DOES march in them.
And it's the CUTEST THING EVER. lol

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:56 am

I just ordered Inara some fleece booties from www.dogbooties.com . I HIGHLY recommend them. We've been playing in snow almost up to her belly and they stayed on and kept her feet dry. They're super cheap, too. And I think I ordered her a medium, but they have sizing info on the website. Here's a pic of her in her booties:

And because they're so soft, she only marched for a few steps. Definitely two thumbs up.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”