Flies

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

Flies

Postby JamisPack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:07 pm

I have one more question...
We are having a wall built that borders 2 of my dog's run... These 2 dogs stay outside only while I am at work.
The flies have gotten OUT OF CONTROL this year and I am at a loss.

I have to keep my 2 babies in 6x12 kennels (and they are under a carport for protection, but I think that makes the flies WORSE becasue it is protected from rain, wid, sun and the flies are abundant under there) until the construction is done and they can go back to thier large run.

They seem to be more affected by the flies in these kennels becasue they cant really get away. I clean the yard in the am before work and when I get home and never feed them outside, but still the flies are SO bad.

What is the best and safest way to get rid of flies in an outside area where every inch of the yard is dog accessible?
Can I spray the ground with bleach? I have those hanging fly traps but they smell like death under the carport and fill up so fast it is disgusting. I cant understand why there are so many flies when my yard is pretty darn clean if I do say so myself. There is a huge and abandoned field next door, but I cant get there to spray or clean or anything :(

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Re: Flies

Postby rambler72 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:32 pm

Have you tried putting the fly traps away from the house to maybe draw them away?? Are they those little hover flies? Not very big but they hover in swarms?? The only way I have been able to get rid of those is fly spray. I ran a barn that had automatic fly misters in each stall, maybe you could find a small set up that doesn't cost much that will spray an animal safe spray every 30min or so to keep them down.

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:53 pm

You could try a fly spray like they use on horses. We like the Marigold fly spray because there are no chemicals. We use it on our dogs, and ourselves. It works for some bugs, but not all. It can be expensive, so shop around. You can find it at tack shops, feed stores etc.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductCl ... assid=5093

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:17 pm

:goodpost:

That is what we use at the shelter, the outdoor dogs get eaten by lies w/o it!

pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pits-r-luv » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:07 pm

I use SWAT. It is a goo that is rubbed on the dog. Works well.

JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

Postby JamisPack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:51 am

ordering a bottle of the marigold spray now. At least that will keep them off my babies. I sprayed the kennels/bricks/dirt with diluted bleach yesterday and let it dry overnight, when I went out this morning there werent many around. I will see if that helps.

They are normal stupid "house flies" I guess, but I freaked out yesterday when I went out to get the dogs when I got home from work and let them into thier grass to play, there was this HUGE fly on my boy's back, like hooked on biting him! :eek: It was probably about as big as a nickel! And had yellow on it's back, but it was a fly. Just looked like a fly on steroids. I knocked it off and killed it, but it was really hanging on. I HOPE I dont see more of those, because it was biting him.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:56 am

I use a medieval fly trap by my front door, and it helps a lot.

It's this contraption that has an entry way that leads to bait, and no exit for the flies. You just bait it, then empty it and bait it again.

Just be sure not to use vinegar as the bait. Everyone knows you catch more flies with honey...

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:32 am

Sounds like a horse fly. Maybe a yellow fly, which is a deer fly.

Did it look like this:
Adult yellow fly, Diachlorus ferrugatus (Fabricius).
(found on this page: http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures ... yellow.htm)

Or maybe this:
Tabanus glaucops
(found on wikipedia page)

Both types DO bite. And it hurts. And I mean it HURTS. Carv ing out a chunk is NOT an exaggeration for the larger ones, they actaully can, saw one do it to my brothers back once. Was like some weird mutant killer fly movie scene to be honest, LOL.

Some info about them ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-fly
http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures ... er_fly.htm

A product you can use:

http://www.pestproducts.com/cedarcide.htm

Hope you can make it a little better for them!

JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

Postby JamisPack » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:41 am

It looked like the first one! Stupid, mean fly!
I havent seen anymore, but we have also had some rain which is helping. Also, I come straight home from work and bring them inside and only put everyone back out to potty for the time bieng. I dont want them getting bitten.

There is alot more house zoomies and craziness of pitties trying to play inside but until it cools down again and the flies leave they will just have to adjust.

The marigold spray hasnt arrived yet, so I havent been able to try it :(
I might try the local feed store for the swat today after work.

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:47 pm

You could also plant marigolds around your yard (or around the kennels) to repel a lot of different insects. They are cheap, REAL EASY to care for, and beautiful. They also taste great mixed in with Chive Cream Cheese on crackers :p Some people don't like the smell of them but I love them.
http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/info ... rigold.asp

HUGaBULLyo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby HUGaBULLyo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:02 am

what kind of store can i go to purchase the marigold spray? i live in the city. will a walmart or a pets store carry the product?
i have the fly issues also and its a pain in the butt :sad:

louie
Adolescent Bully

Postby louie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:20 am

From my experience, the Marigold spray does NOT keep Deer Flies away. During a hike one day, I was getting swarmed by Deer Flies despite being covered in Marigold spray. Marigold does work on other insects though and it smells pretty good.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”