Treat/chewy recipe needed for mass quantity shelter dogs

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Treat/chewy recipe needed for mass quantity shelter dogs

Postby jtalt7 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Hey all-

I would have done a search but I am not so sure I know what I am looking for and I wanted to get a few ideas. I am looking for a bunch of treat/chewy ideas that I can make that will be kind of like kong stuffers but I dont have kongs to stuff..........I know I am not making sense. I am wanting to go into the shelter and hand out treats/chewies to APBTs that will be long lasting and hopefully brain stimulating. So things that can be frozen.........etc. I am needing to make them in mass quantities and not cost too much money as I am paying out of my own pocket, Hubby works in sales.......economy you get the picture.

I have a few kongs that I can work with so I can stuff about 20 of them but I have TONS of PB that I can do that with. I also have some compressed rawhides, sterilized bones etc coming in but I am looking for other ideas as I am not sure how long all of it will last.

Thanks for any ideas you guys can give me !

janedoeismissing
Addicted to PBF

Re: Treat/chewy recipe needed for mass quantity shelter dogs

Postby janedoeismissing » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:23 pm

We do ice treats. The dogs who are highly food motivated spend a good 20minutes working on them.
Normal bowl, water and treats & kibble. Freeze, then pass out. Cheap-but not all dogs will enjoy them.

We also have some PVC pipes that we've drilled small holes in and capped each end. We fill em up with treats and the dogs push them around and eat the treats out of it.

:dunno: Not sure if these are options...however this topic has got me thinking, if I have any ideas, Ill come back!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:38 pm

How about dehydrated slices of sweet potato? They are easy to make if you have or could borrow a food dehydrator. They don't take the dogs, at least mine anyways, that long to chew so they wouldn't be a long lasting chewy treat, but they are healthy and inexpensive.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:42 pm

I have a couple recipes for dog treats made with pretty inexpensive ingredients... make dough, roll out, cut shapes, bake. Want me to post them?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Yes...?? :)

mopulldogs
Newborn Bully

Postby mopulldogs » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:13 pm

I have a few recipes for homemade treats on my website, here is a link :)
http://www.weightpullharness.com/HomemadeDogTreats.html

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Did you know that Kong has a "seconds" program where nonprofits and shelters can get slightly imperfect Kongs for free or for reduced prices?

Go to the Kong site, go to "find kong" and on the left, toward the bottom, there's a link that says "kong seconds." click that, input your info, and they should get in touch with you.

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:58 am

i buy sweet potatoes for like 40 cents a pound and cut them into 1/4" slices longways. i put them right on the racks in the oven set at 200 degrees with a ball of tin foil holding the door open a little bit to get some convection. in a few hours, they are mostly dry and chewy. some dogs eat them faster than others but it generally takes a couple minutes.

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:38 am

Saint chokes on dehydrated sweet potatoes, so he can't have them. :sad:

aznchipmunk
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby aznchipmunk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:49 am

I mix PB and non fat yogurt and freeze it - sometimes i'll drop a treat halfway through freezing for fun.

or take raw liver, some type of startch (i use whole grain flour, but corn startch works better), eggs - puree it all together and bake it - you can freeze these too.

try braiding some fleece scraps tie a knot right in the center soak it in water and freeze....u can tuck some kibble in the braids and freeze too

aznchipmunk
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby aznchipmunk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:58 am

aznchipmunk wrote:I mix PB and non fat yogurt and freeze it - sometimes i'll drop a treat halfway through freezing for fun.

or take raw liver, some type of startch (i use whole grain flour, but corn startch works better), eggs - puree it all together and bake it - you can freeze these too.

try braiding some fleece scraps tie a knot right in the center soak it in water and freeze....u can tuck some kibble in the braids and freeze too

baby sister bought an old fleece throw from goodwill for like $2 and was able to make like 10 or 15 1' braids

bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby bullheaded » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:55 pm

I remember a post about someone looking for beef trachea( I think that's what it was) because they stuffed them and froze them for treats. I tried searching for it to make sure it was beef trachea but had no luck. I don't know how long it would take a dog to eat one.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:40 pm

All good ideas you guys.

I will take a lot of these and use them !

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”