Best Material for the floor of a dog run?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

Best Material for the floor of a dog run?

Postby goldenstatefan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:31 pm

Hey all,

I just bought a house, have a big yard and am looking at putting in a dog run. I've heard various views on what material to use for the "flooring". Concrete they say is great for cleanup but absorbs the urine and it smells on hot days. Anyone have any ideas that can help me? Thanks in advance.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re: Best Material for the floor of a dog run?

Postby InBearsMemory » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Straight concrete is easy to clean but you will risk kennel sores on your dog. You could always have a concrete foundation and cover the surface with a few of those heavy duty rubber mats you can buy at the hardware store. Those will make it easier on the dog and still allow for easy cleanup. You shouldn't have to worry about smell if you use the kennel as part time housing while still letting your dog out to do it's business. Sure they will probably relief themselves in the kennel but if you pick up after your dog and hose the kennel floor down at least once a day you will be fine. If you have a dog house in there I would raise it off the floor by building a small wooden deck underneath it for the dog to rest on when the sun is out. Hope this helps.

goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

Postby goldenstatefan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Thank you,

Please keep all the info coming. Ideas on how to start the kennel off are greatly appreciated as well. :bowdown:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:08 pm

We used horse mats on concrete. They are heavy, and expensive, and can be a pain to clean under. And, occasionally, a dog will think you just got them a really big, flat Kong.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”