Stupid question about dog clothing

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Stupid question about dog clothing

Postby brunomom » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 pm

So I have never owned a short-haired dog before and I am noticing a trend that many of you use clothing for the warmth they need. I live in Michigan and obviously we get some fairly nasty weather. I kind of grew up in that mentality of "it's a dog...don't dress it" but I am a bit worried that it really does have great purpose!? Should I be thinking about a jacket or fleece of some kind? Tell me I am not being silly.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Re: Stupid question about dog clothing

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:33 pm

It depends on the dog.

Mya(American Bully) gets cold really easily and has to wear a sweater when she is outside in cold weather. She loves to wear clothes so it does not bother her. All of our dogs wear sweaters in cold weather except Tank(Great Pyrenees/Lab mix) who has a thick, black double coat.

It gets pretty cold in Michigan and if when you are outside your dogs ears feel really cold or they are shaking, I would consider getting them a sweater/jacket of some kind. Even may be some of those booties for his paws if it is snowing and really cold.

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:57 pm

It's not a stupid question. When it gets really chilly our pups do too. Fleece or a reversible kind and fits your budget is good.

I live in the desert and it never snows here. Halo has a little sweater + matching socks hehe. I read an e-article on Walletpop (AOL) that pet clothing is a waste of money, which of course I totally disagree with! My pooch is worth every penny!

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 am

I live in the desert and it never snows here.

Ha, I forgot to add that last week it snowed 3 days straight. Glad I bought that doggie sweater. It was freezing for me and Halo. Although, not as freezing as it is for pets and pet owners up north. Brrrrrrrrrrr!!

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:40 am

Old Navy has some good ski wear:

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:37 pm

by El_EmDubya » December 10th, 2009, 10:40 pm
Old Navy has some good ski wear:

What a cute picture! Your dog looks snug and warm. :)

GusBus
Matured Bully

Postby GusBus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:00 pm

I think it just depends on your dog whether he needs a sweater or not. Different dogs can tolerate different temperatures just like people. I'm sure you know your dogs behavior and if he's acting cold, go ahead and get him a sweater.

I live in So Cal which really never gets 'cold' but my dog is always freezing, it has been about 50 degrees the past few days and he refuses to go outside unless its just really quick to go potty. He loves his sweaters in this weather, when we go camping in colder weather we even double layer his jackets haha.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:44 pm

Agree with everyone. Depends on the dog and the weather.

I'm in Michigan and Khan gets cold. he has multiple sweaters and coats for varying degrees of cold and snow.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:59 pm

I second what everyone else is saying.
Capone is #6 in the APBT series of rescues and HE IS A WIENIE. He will not go in the cold, he will shake the whole time and he hates rain - period. and no, i does not matter if he is on a walk or not
He has clothes now.

At this point, Jasmine does too because well, they have to match :))

other people on the forum have dogs with bad allergies and they put jammies on their fur friends to help with that.

IMHO, some of the clothes are worthless because they do not keep the belly organ area warm which has the least fur, so I always look for clothes that go around the body and not just like icing on top :)

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:16 pm

I occasionally put clothes on Oscar for his protection or my amusement - he doesn't seem to mind the cold too much, but is one of those dogs that will ignore his own illness for more games, so I put a coat on him if it's in the 30s or colder.

Liberty (as I actually just posted in training) needs to get some winter clothes soon or I'm going to have to toilet train her. She's got VERY short, thin fur, and in fact her belly feels like just naked flesh, and she apparently refuses to go outside when it's below 40 degrees, preferring my carpets for both their warmth and absorbency.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I think I am going to get him something after reading all your comments. He goes outside but begrudingly sometimes. And he almost prances when he is walking on snow/ice because he is trying to put as little of his foot down as possible. He also has a fairly bad hair loss issue from mange (that we just now got diagnosed and started treatment) so he literally is just bare flesh from the underside of his neck to his mid-belly area. I think the high today was 12 degrees not counting the windchill...so I know it's gotta be freezing on his flappy, loose, saggy, bare skin. LOL

Thanks for all the input. I am on the hunt now! :)

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:50 pm

There was a thread a little while ago about Columbia dog jackets you might want to take a look at. I got one for Roscoe and I think it's great. Fido Fleece makes good coats too. I live up by Traverse City so they definitely need a coat up here, and I try to make sure they are warm enough inside too.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”