Fencing help?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Fencing help?

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 pm

This isn't exactly pitbull related, but I know some of you may be able to help.

This is my backyard :

I currently live in a neighborhood that has an HOA. Since we've moved in, my family and I have wanted to modify the fencing so Cody can not get out. Cody doesn't go under the fence or anything, he goes THROUGH the bars.

As he gets older, I get more and more freaked out every time anyone lets him out without supervision. He's losing his hearing, sight and he has mobility problems. He's also not fixed, so he can roam for quite awhile. I've been griping at my parents for years about this. I wish I could walk him as often as he wants to get out, but I just can't. And I can't watch him every single time he goes out, since I'm not home. He also refuses to poop in the backyard, hence the roaming around the neighborhood.

Does anyone have any kind of tips to modify the fencing WITHOUT the HOA knowing? I was thinking a see through netting or chicken wire type thing, but I wasn't sure how to make that work. It doesn't need to be completely see through, just enough so that if a member of the HOA were walking around the neighborhood, they wouldn't see.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Re: Fencing help?

Postby Cat24 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:45 pm

plexi-glass at the levels he would be able to go through? so maybe a couple feet high, just enough to disuade him from going through. It doesn't change the look, but it would stop him from getting out and it's more duable then the glass type fencing.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:35 am

Can you try hotwiring it?

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:01 am

There is deer fencing (photo at this link http://www.gemplers.com/product/RLG40/D ... 8x7-8-mesh), but I'm not sure how you would hook it to that type of fence or if it would be within your HOA guidelines. You can get it pretty cheap at places like Menards or Fleet Farm.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks everyone for their replies!

I don't think using plexiglass would be a feasible option. It might look nice at first, but I think that the upkeep will be too much since it essentially has to stay see through all year round.

Amie - Could you explain to me what hotwiring is?

Ilovethepits - Is deer fencing super noticeable? I still have to work around the HOA.

Thanks so much everyone!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:57 am

It isn't 'super-noticable' but you can see it. Also I am not sure how it would hold up to a dog. It depends if the dog will scratch at or chew it - then it would be worthless.

Maybe you just need to use a tie out and the dog can only be out with supervision.

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:59 pm

We used a hotwire, it solved our problems of fence jumping.
It's an electric fence. We used a strand at about shoulder height about a foot away from the chain link fence ( inside the yard). Worked like a charm

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:17 am

Hot wire is a single electrified metal strand that can be run along the fence at any height. If your dog squeezes through the bars, I would put it at about his chest height. It needs to be plugged in somewhere, but most houses have at least one outdoor outlet.

You can find these at most feed and farm supply stores.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:36 pm

I would use coated chicken wire from your local agway or farm supply. You can get it coated in black rubbery vinyl stuff that makes it last a long time and it would look like part of your existing fence. 3-4 feet high should be fine. Just buy enough to go along the fence and secure it to every single bar with either very heavy duty black zip ties or aluminum fence ties. The zip ties will need more maintenance.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”