any one on here make their own collars?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
krzemienr
Newborn Bully

any one on here make their own collars?

Postby krzemienr » Tue May 04, 2010 1:22 pm

I was just curious, I went to a local Hobby Lobby and bought some leather straps and some stuff to make a couple leather collars. We'll see how they turn out...

Rafal

Adrianne

Re: any one on here make their own collars?

Postby Adrianne » Tue May 04, 2010 1:23 pm

We have lots of collar makers on this site :) I am sure they'll be along soon enough to tell you about it.

krzemienr
Newborn Bully

Postby krzemienr » Tue May 04, 2010 2:19 pm

This is the design for my first ones. I wanted to keep them simple, so I'm just going with a standard 2" wide brown latigo leather, brass buckle, d-ring and rivets. I ordered some engraved stainless plates with the dogs' names on them. I' going to attach that to a separate strap that is 1.5 inches wide, center it on the collar, and attach to the collar with rivets. I'm also going to cut slits in the leather and slide the name plate piece and attach from the suede side of the collar. Did that make sense? I know Pumpkin has sensitive skin, so I'm probably going to sow a thin piece of padding under her collar in a contrasting color to the brown leather. Anyway here's a quick pic of the design I made:

krzemienr
Newborn Bully

Postby krzemienr » Wed May 05, 2010 11:52 am

on a side note, does anyone have a link some templates for collars?
I found this link here: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/07/how-to_leather_dog_collar.html, however, the template will not show up on my computer... Thanks!

Rafal

nevermind, I had to open it up in Internet Explorer, as Mozilla wouldn't open the page up.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Wed May 05, 2010 12:06 pm

krzemienr wrote:on a side note, does anyone have a link some templates for collars?
I found this link here: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/07/how-to_leather_dog_collar.html, however, the template will not show up on my computer... Thanks!

Rafal

Rafal, that's the article I wrote. Tandy also has a belt buckle template you can download that will be more appropriate for the width of collar you want to make (the template was for a 1" wide collar to make it more generalized to the Craft readership, but belts are generally 1.5" wide). You can also make your own template by simply looking at the buckle of an existing collar and tracing it, that's how I figured it out :thumbsup:

krzemienr
Newborn Bully

Postby krzemienr » Wed May 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Like I said, I got it printed out thanks! Great article by the way... it was very helpful. I can't wait for my plates and leather to come in.... I didn't like the leather from hobby lobby, so I ordered 72" online. Thanks again

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm

I don't make leather collars, just nylon/fabric ones, but I wanted to wish you luck!

Are we going to have another person to buy from soon?? :fire:

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Thu May 06, 2010 7:54 pm

I make my own collar, among several other members here on PBF. I've thought about using templates but never got around to making any. So I continue to measure everything by hand.

I like the design and style you have going, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

brad.

krzemienr
Newborn Bully

Postby krzemienr » Fri May 07, 2010 8:16 am

WackyJacki wrote:I don't make leather collars, just nylon/fabric ones, but I wanted to wish you luck!

Are we going to have another person to buy from soon?? :fire:

I don't think I'll be making these to sell... we'll see how it goes, I work about 60 hours a week during spring/summer/fall, so maybe in the winter, but who knows.

krzemienr
Newborn Bully

Postby krzemienr » Wed May 12, 2010 8:36 am

OK, so I started on Destiny's collar lats night and worked on it for about 3 hours. My order of the leather strip got a little screwed up and I got a 2.5 inch wide in black. What made it difficult was the the fact that I really didn't have any straight cutting tools, so I have to measure everything out 3 times, mark it with a pencil, and cut with an exacto knife, using a level as a straight edge. I got about 90% of it done. All I need to do is put the fleece padding on the the other side and make the stitching with purple thread (you can kind of see the fleece in the 1st pic). This again will be a pain because I don't have a sowing machine, so I have to measure out all the holes again, and pre-poke them with a needle. Destiny's collar is 2" wide and will have the black/white zebra fleece padding, while Pumpkin will get a 1.5" collar with pink/black zebra padding and pink stitching. I sent my Fiance to the store to pick up the rivets and decorations and this is what she came back with, lol. I think it came out pretty good for my first time being crafty, not perfect, but I like it. Over all the cost wasn't bad, I think I spent a total of $70.00 on all the supplies needed (that also included the hole punch, exacto knife, rivet setting kit, and some little tools to help).

Leather I ordered from http://eleathersupply.com/
Name plates I ordered from http://www.rossipettags.com/
Everything else I got from Hobby Lobby and Joanne Fabrics

The mess when I got started:

Attached the buckle and d-rings:

Plain collar:

Destiny waiting the entire time:

Added the name plate and some stone rivets:

Destiny and her almost done collar:

She is such a pretty girl, lol. She gets super excited when you show her a collar, and after you put it on she prances around the house showing it off. I think Pumpkin got jealous. On a side note, Does the 2" wide collar look a little wide on her? I'm having second thoughts here to make a more narrow one....

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 12, 2010 11:42 am

Good job! :headbang:

krzemienr
Newborn Bully

Postby krzemienr » Wed May 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Thank you, hopefully I can get the stitching done tonight and post up some finished pics

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 12, 2010 12:39 pm

krzemienr wrote:Thank you, hopefully I can get the stitching done tonight and post up some finished pics

Looking forward to seeing it!! I have never even attempted working with leather, I think that's so cool. Good for you!

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Excellent first effort!

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Wed May 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Looks Good! Cant wait to see the stitching! I think the 2" looks fine. :)

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”