Raised feeders vs. bowl on the ground?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
jamielvsaustin

Re: Raised feeders vs. bowl on the ground?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm not familar with the side effects of raised feeders, but I've thought about getting one on and off. I like the idea that the dog doesn't have to bend down so much. Granted my dogs are young and I can assure you it does not deter them to bend over. I've wondered what the cons were. Have other's heard about the bloat issue? I was under the impression it was good for dogs who where guardy...because it physically prevents them from stand over and "claiming" the food. If their body is in a position that's less guardy, then that would help put their mind in a less guardy mentality. Not a cure all but a step in a positive direction.

I'm interested in seeing what others have to say.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:36 pm

That is interesting. I'm curious to know why the speed in which a dog eats has some part of it, but air intake does not.

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:40 pm

I think it's a matter of weighing pros and cons for your personal situation. The bloat debate is one I'm not sure there will ever be an answer to. It seems to me that it's natural for dogs to eat bending down so I tend to go that way, plus I am just not sure about the bowls not creating bloat.

However, for our guy (my tripawd) he's definitely at a greater risk of arthritis and such from a young age, and feeding him in raised dishes helps aid in the prevention and helps stave off the inevitable...I feel he's more at risk for mobility issues than he is bloat, so he gets a raised feeder. I think our old guy really would've benefited from it in his old age. I sometimes wonder now looking back, if half of his loss of appetite wasn't simply because it was painful or uncomfortable to eat.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Ashes has trouble keeping water down and often vomits after drinking from a bowl on the ground-the raised feeders help keep everything moving in the right direction!

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Liberty doesn't use a food bowl - she gets only food dispensing toys to try to entertain the demons that talk to her. Oscar has had raised bowls for years - when he was younger (around a year) he used to belch like a rock star all the time. Really, he would belch every hour or so. We tried the raised bowls, and he stopped doing that. He still does burp on occasion, but it's not as dramatic or frequent. I suppose that could mean that the air is staying inside instead of getting out, but it makes him more able to be out in mixed company, since he refused to look embarrassed after he belched in your face.
:dunno:

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Amie wrote:Liberty doesn't use a food bowl - she gets only food dispensing toys to try to entertain the demons that talk to her. Oscar has had raised bowls for years - when he was younger (around a year) he used to belch like a rock star all the time. Really, he would belch every hour or so. We tried the raised bowls, and he stopped doing that. He still does burp on occasion, but it's not as dramatic or frequent. I suppose that could mean that the air is staying inside instead of getting out, but it makes him more able to be out in mixed company, since he refused to look embarrassed after he belched in your face.
:dunno:

This made laugh way too much for the workplace! roflmao

My girls have raised bowls, though they aren't raised very high, maybe six or eight inches? I will be compelled to check when I get home. I initially purchased them because Cookie is old, and it seemed more comfortable for her. We've never had any issues.

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:54 pm

We do raised food but only because Charlie used to eat so fast he'd puke it back up. The raised bowl helps slow him down. It takes him 3x longer to eat. The water is still on the ground, easy access for all.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Toby has water and food raised as eating from the ground will affect posture, in the long term and we want him to do well in the ring.

Plus he eats and drinks slower when it is higher.

kady05
Newborn Bully

Postby kady05 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:02 pm

I use raised feeders for all of my dogs, I just prefer them over the bowls on the ground. Keeps everything where it needs to be, etc.

I've ordered all of mine from this guy: http://stores.ebay.com/OLE-WOODCRAFTER?_rdc=1

They're really reasonably priced and they're awesome quality. Plus he'll burn whatever you want into the front of them.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:28 pm

There is ongoing debate about bloat and raised feeders. There are studies on both sides of the argument.

The main issue is exercising too soon before or after feeding. As well as the structure of the dog(that being why it is more common in some breeds than others)

That being said I used a raised feeder for Khan. It is iron w/stainless steel dishes.

drider
Newborn Bully

Postby drider » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:45 pm

I've been using raised feeders, (i guess that's what you call it) for several years and my past and current dog is fine using them. In all reality it just makes me feel better when their head is up while they are eating. And hopefully they are more comfortable, I just like to treat my dogs well.

Siren
Addicted to PBF

Postby Siren » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:52 am

I've used raised feeders for years. No problems.

To help slow down a dog eating, keep it from chowing down, they have types of bowls as well as a special ball most bowls can use, that help keep the dog eating at a better pace.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”