Need a new prong - Bud is sensitive too his PetSmart one

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
AdrianVall
Adolescent Bully

Need a new prong - Bud is sensitive too his PetSmart one

Postby AdrianVall » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Hey guys,

Well, it seems as if Buddy's skin is really sensitive to the prong collar that I got him at PetSmart. I've had it for a while now, and try not to use to very often, but he's just been pulling horribly bad when we go to new places. Oh, and YES.. I do fit his prong properly. LOL.

Anyway, I believe I saw a brass colored prong the other day saying that most dogs are not allergic to this material that it was made with, but I can't find it.

Any solutions to my problem? His neck is all red from our 1.5 mile walk yesterday. Not sure what Petsmart uses to make there prongs, but Buddy doesn't do to well with it.

Thanks guys!

chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Need a new prong - Bud is sensitive too his PetSmart one

Postby chelsea00133 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:13 pm

Why is his neck red by the end of the walk? Is the collar sliding around and rubbing his skin, or is it red just from contact with the material? Does the prongs have little rubber "caps" on them?
Are you putting the prong on him in attempt to teach him to stop pulling? Prongs do NOT teach a dog not to pull. Sure, they can be USED to teach them not to pull, but just putting the prong on a dog and letting the dog get a correction each time it puts tension on the lead isnt going to teach him anything. If you want to actually teach your dog not to pull, ditch the prong and grab a flat collar and a clicker ;)

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:49 pm

AdrianVall wrote:Hey guys,

Well, it seems as if Buddy's skin is really sensitive to the prong collar that I got him at PetSmart. I've had it for a while now, and try not to use to very often, but he's just been pulling horribly bad when we go to new places. Oh, and YES.. I do fit his prong properly. LOL.

Anyway, I believe I saw a brass colored prong the other day saying that most dogs are not allergic to this material that it was made with, but I can't find it.

Any solutions to my problem? His neck is all red from our 1.5 mile walk yesterday. Not sure what Petsmart uses to make there prongs, but Buddy doesn't do to well with it.

Thanks guys!

you will pay more money, but get a herm sprenger, much better quality!

Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:43 pm

Yup, totally agree with ProudMommy77 :bowdown:

I also highly recommend Herm Sprenger prongs. Great quality stuff there :thumbsup: : http://leerburg.com/prong.htm

Good Luck,
E

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 am

AdrianVall wrote: I believe I saw a brass colored prong the other day saying that most dogs are not allergic to this material that it was made with, but I can't find it.

http://leerburg.com/prong.htm#curogan

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:36 pm

I got Dakota a Herm Sprenger and it is amazing, Dakota has a sensitive throat and will cough frequently after a walk with a flat buckle or chain collar, a week after the Herm Sprenger the coughing completely stopped and he LOVES it, he shys away from the gentle leader but willingly allows me to put his new prong on. He also walks amazingly now. :))
http://www.activedogs.com/collarshermsprenger.html

crazykel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby crazykel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:45 am

Entwadumela wrote:Yup, totally agree with ProudMommy77 :bowdown:

I also highly recommend Herm Sprenger prongs. Great quality stuff there :thumbsup: : http://leerburg.com/prong.htm

Good Luck,
E

These are the best by far!!!

BravoTx
Newborn Bully

Postby BravoTx » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:25 pm

I think using a prong collar on our breed is a bad idea. Pitbulls have a high tolerance for pain and if anything a prong collar would just annoy the heck out them. Buy a harness and spend more time training.

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:39 pm

BravoTx wrote:I think using a prong collar on our breed is a bad idea. Pitbulls have a high tolerance for pain and if anything a prong collar would just annoy the heck out them. Buy a harness and spend more time training.

I don't know what kind of pit bull you have but most of the ones I have worked with are pretty sensitive to pain unless in full drive. Pit bulls are no different than any other dog when it comes to pain, but I do agree maybe more training should be done.

BravoTx
Newborn Bully

Postby BravoTx » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 pm

My friends dog was pretty DA and he came across another dog that was DA as well. The prong being the only equipment on the dogs neck did not help the situation. The poor dog was yelping in pain, but was lunging forward..He couldnt grab em by the prong for obvious reason, so instead he grabbed em to pick him up. But the dog turned and bit my friend in the shoulder.
This all occured after the other dog owner was walking well off on his own way..
Maybe for some it may the correct equipment to use. But in MY OPINION, I would not own one.
Focus more on the heel command and training. My old dog loved to pull and when she saw her harness, she knew it was time. But when the leash came out, she knew what time it was.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:38 pm

BravoTx wrote:My friends dog was pretty DA and he came across another dog that was DA as well. The prong being the only equipment on the dogs neck did not help the situation. The poor dog was yelping in pain, but was lunging forward..He couldnt grab em by the prong for obvious reason, so instead he grabbed em to pick him up. But the dog turned and bit my friend in the shoulder.
This all occured after the other dog owner was walking well off on his own way..
Maybe for some it may the correct equipment to use. But in MY OPINION, I would not own one.
Focus more on the heel command and training. My old dog loved to pull and when she saw her harness, she knew it was time. But when the leash came out, she knew what time it was.

Prong collars should not be used on powerful breeds that are lunging on the leash, they will snap off. At least have some back up, my dog Dakota is usually awesome but he gets into moods were he is a butt and he is powerful (generally when waiting his turn in dock diving) so I put a martingale on him and I clip the leash on the martingale an prong. Last thing I want is Dakota getting loose when he is in one of his mood, many of the dogs we practice with don't appreciate other dogs when they are in the mode.

I doubt that the yelp is from the collar, it sounds like frustration, leash aggression 4 out of 10 of the leash aggressive dogs I have met will yelp, whine, gargle, and bark at the end of the leash.(sometimes scream.)

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”