What collar type?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

What collar type?

Postby addieNmel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:09 pm

I just wanted to get an idea of what collar style / type everyone generally uses for normal every day wear as well as for walking. I was looking at Collarmania ( so many great choices!) and was thinking of getting a new collar for Addie.

Do most of you use a regular buckle collar? I was debating on getting one, vs the martingale collar. I like the style of the martingale, but was wondering if anyone used it as a regular collar, or just for walking?

Thanks for the input!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: What collar type?

Postby starrlamia » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:04 pm

we have the loop style martingale for my bully and it is on all the time, i much prefer it over a buckle collar simply so if he does pull he cant slip the collar

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:21 pm

I like to use a martingale collar that has two D-rings - one on the loop portion and another on the collar portion. That way it can function as both a martingale for walks or as a flat collar for when they are out on their tethers or playing on long leash.

chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby chelsea00133 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Honestly, it depends on the dog. For a dog with a big head that can't slip a collar, or a dog that just doesn't try to slip collars in general, a regular buckle collar (or a "no buckle slide collar" from Collarmania or The collar shop) will work perfectly. If you have a dog that trys to slip out of their collar on walks, or you want to have the collar worn really loose but be able to tighten with presure so it doesn't slip off, then a martingale would be the better choice.

star_frances wrote:That way it can function as both a martingale for walks or as a flat collar for when they are out on their tethers

No matter which D ring it is hooked to, a martingale style collar is not suitable for use on a tie out. The loop of the martingale makes it very easy for the dog to get snagged on something (even if it is not hooked to the flat collar part D ring).

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:01 pm

I use buckle collars for 24/7 wear but I LOVE the martingale for walking Lily. I just leave her buckle collar on and put the martingale on her. She has a skinny head and is a tad reactive so it gives me good control. She doesn't seem to pull so much with the martingale either. Wish I would have tried it years ago.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:16 pm

If you do decide to go with a buckle style collar, I recommend a double bar buckle or a nickel/plastic hybrid if you have a puller, they're stronger than regular plastic. :thumbsup:

Like others said, if your dog is a collar escape artist, go with a martingale for sure!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:48 pm

I use martingales almost 100% of the time. I have a few buckle nylons and leather but they're not really my daily collars.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:08 am

I have regular buckle, chain martingale and loop martingale. I used to prefer the martingales, but I damaged a nerve and lost feeling in part of my hand, so I have a harder time adjusting the martingales now. So I used the buckles mostly for everyday wear or a martingale I don't have to mess with a lot.

Oh and I have nylon, material and leather.

foogs
Newborn Bully

Postby foogs » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:26 am

I only use Rogue Royalty collars. They are distributed world wide but the company is based in my city. They are thick collars but the benefits far out weigh any of the negatives. Anything large and up in the leather range and anything medium and up in the supa tuff range have 2 prongs and 2 keepers. The leather collars had the D ring on the back, their padded on the inside and IMO they look good without really causing any discomfort for H when she pulls. But the biggest thing for me is, she can't break them. She broke a standard leather collar at 6 months of age and so far she hasnt destroyed any of this brand.

Here's a photo of Hayley with a plain buckskin collar on. This photo was taken during a photo shoot for advertising for the product (hence the background).

http://www.rogueroyalty.com/

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:53 am

I usually would use martingales or wide flat buckle collars on my dogs, except with Dakota we usually walk with prongs or his leather harness because of his sensitive trachea. I have a Collarmania collar for him and I really like it, I walked him on it for a short distance and he didn't start coughing at all.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:35 am

I use harnesses mostly. But I like 1-1.5 inch oiled amish crafted, double layer leather collars with waxed stitching for the normal drive young Malinois and older apbt. They are well made, tough as nails, classy, pretty, inexpensive and are not obscene. Anything over 1.5 inches is really unnecessary and some overdone collars and harnesses just make you look like a freakin' walking advertisement for BSL lovers of America. I really dislike the excuse that "my dog pulls and I don't want him to hurt his neck" for putting a huge collar on a dog. Totally unnecessary. We need to do MUCH better as breed advocates than jumping right into the stereotypical mold the media and idiot thug DMX wannabe "owners" have created for us. When my dogs are out and about I go for the best, and keep it classy, sassy and cute, not tough and inaccessible. Jackets and bandanas are always a crowd pleaser and keep the pups warm too. I like the leather leashes at Paco Collars to complete the ensemble. I want people to feel safe and assume my dogs are well cared for and pampered and smile when they look at my dogs and be inclined to make baby talk... not look up at me and assume I am carrying a Desert Eagle and a g-pack of "heron". Unfortunately image is everything these days. I've had some of the leather collars I use for well over 15 years and they still look so nice. They get better with age. I sometimes use a martingale with some sort of backup for the little madman so he can't slip the collar depending on where we are and what we're doing. He has the best leash manners of all the dogs but can be a wily, wiggly and zoomie one when he wants. :shakeit:

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:35 pm

chelsea00133 wrote:
star_frances wrote:That way it can function as both a martingale for walks or as a flat collar for when they are out on their tethers

No matter which D ring it is hooked to, a martingale style collar is not suitable for use on a tie out. The loop of the martingale makes it very easy for the dog to get snagged on something (even if it is not hooked to the flat collar part D ring).

My dogs are NEVER left outdoors unsupervised. I am always with them.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:58 pm

Honestly, I think that collar is way to wide for my taste (but it's personal preference) and... am I imagining it looks loose enough to slip?

I hardly think a cute 2 inch is leading to any rappers paradise mimicking though.

I have been considering buying stillwaterkennelsupply 2 ply leather collars for a while but my dogs wear collars as fashion accessories mostly to be honest and every time I have money for a new dog item I have a sick obsession with buying martingales with cute patterns. Mind you, they rock at breaking the ice and discussing the cute dog under the even cuter collar. The only thing I avoid buying anymore are plastic quick release buckles because even the 8 month old malinois who's all of 40 lbs broke one at flyball when I put it on last minute cause I couldn't find anything else in my truck.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:16 pm

touché Adrianne. That collar is cute. ;)

mutty
Adolescent Bully

Postby mutty » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Same here as Adrianne :oops: , lately i have an addiction for buying dog collars.
Robacha wears a Gentle Leader outside because she's a huge puller and when i take her potty i put her in the Martingale collars hehe.

Here is the annoyed dog .

Mire are from Collarmania and Ella's Lead, they seriously make great collars .

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”