christmas toy, toughest brand?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

christmas toy, toughest brand?

Postby arlene2010 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:30 pm

i'm going to order Ky a rubber toy to chew on for christmas, but don't want it to be destroyed in 5 minutes, any pointers on what brands to look for? i know kong is a top tough brand but any other suggestions would be great!!! WAS gonna get him a pretty new collar, but since he has anxieties from time to time, i thought he could use a stress reliever more than a collar. i've been looking on ebay and they have some great deals, just wanted to get more bang for my buck. i chose to have my fiance get Ky goody gifts instead of me, and am trying to stay under 40 becuase our budget is low. would only one toy be suitable or do you guys recommend getting multiples for veritety and anti bordem prevention of one single one? lol he gets bored with one toy over a long period of time.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: christmas toy, toughest brand?

Postby gixxerific » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:30 am

I saw something cool at Petsmart. It is a tire with a rope you could take off the rope if that is an issue. But it is like a real tire. I didn't get it because even the small one was a bit big for Lucy right now. I used to give my old motorcycle tires to Maya and Niko They loved them.

Here is link http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... n=Dog+Toys it seemed to be pretty tough. They have different sizes and it looks with or without rope.

Just an idea :aha:

Have fun and good luck finding something.

Sorry shamless plug of My Maya!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Khan has one of those tire biters, but never had much interest in it. I had one for my other pit bull boomer and he did shred it, but it took a while.

Kongs are pretty versatile since you can play fetch with them, stuff them and some dogs will just chew on them. Once again...not a toy Khan is a big fan of lol

Alot of people have said good things about goughnuts and egge's

I guess it depends on your dogs play style. Khan likes the cuz balls, but tears the feet off in a matter of minutes. He will still play with half destroyed toys though, so I don't care!

Check out www.jefferspet.com

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:50 pm

i think i will get him a kong BALL instead of the classic. i loves bouncy things, lol. am also checking out training clickers! i wish i had extra bike tires laying around! he'd love it. especially if hanging from a tree, lol.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:48 am

Goghnuts are really tough I hear. I use a tirebiter for my malinois in flyball, its super tough but also its only an active play tug toy. Also we love out kongs here!

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:46 am

yeah if your dog is a chewer, I wouldn't get the tirebiter. Degan destroyed one in about four and a half seconds, maximum, haha.
HOWEVER, a really great toy we discovered is a dirt bike tire! We have the little ones for the pit bike, (50 cc honda). I'm pretty sure we have had the same one for a year or so and it has JUST gotten holes in it... thanks to having two extra dogs. It doesn't have metal threads like a car tire so as I understand it's safe for the dog's teeth. We also have one on our spring pole. Honestly chew toys do NOT last around here. Not even the black kongs, so I'm impressed by the pit bike tire.
I don't think they cost much to buy, but what we are going to do once we have to replace ours is just go to a dirt bike shop and see if they have old worn tires that they can either give, or sell us for cheap.

Another thing is the dogs seem to really enjoy playing with them. Because they're sort of big, but not bulky or heavy they throw it around and flip it over their heads and stuff.
Here, I'll just include a photo for fun:

That's how he 'holds' it when he gets tired of chewing, haha.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:48 am

That's a good idea, tire biters got destroyed here pretty fast. I love the picture!

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:41 pm

If you are not sure what he would like, I would suggest you go to Jefferspet.com and buy a variety of inexpensive toys. They have great deals on toys there from $0.99 to $2. Granted, most of those cheap toys won't last very long but you can buy a bunch and dole them out one at a time and not break the bank. That way if he doesn't like a particular toy you didn't spend a fortune on it and you have some others for him to try out. Then when you find out what type he likes you can spend a little more money and not worry if he'll ignore it or not.

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:42 pm

gixxerific wrote:Image

Murphy eats those... and then poops rubber pellets for days. I would suggest large Cuz toys (I think that's what they're called - a photo below); they're not impenetrable, but (for some strange reason) they've outlasted even Murphy's black Kong. We have three (one for Murph, one for Sasha, and one for sharing with canine company). Naturally, I also like the black Kong toys - they're my favorite.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:02 pm

jolly balls hold up fairly well (the handled ones handles arent the best) ive also heard good things about goughnuts.
Basketballs, bowling balls and bike tires are nice too.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Kong balls are nice.
Kongs are nice (black are tough)
Planet Dog balls are a favorite and will last until your idiot figures out how to hook a tooth in the hole and then rip into it.
Skins are nice, the stuffy without the stuffing, but honestly, they like to rip the squeeker out and then rip the skin in half and then prance around with the smallest piece in front of the others.
Gallileo Nylabones ROCK

but basically, any toy can last, but you will need to supervise.
one of Capone's favorites is water bottles, he loves the satisfying CRUNCH they give off. But if I don't watch him the bottle ends up in his gullet in no time.

Flower would like to recommend shoes (mostly from Mommy's feet), gloves, 'super sweaty' baseball hats and underwear. Those are her personal faves.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:29 am

you guys are really helpful, there is a junk yard right up the road, they prolly have old moped tires, should i go ask? seems like it takes longer to tear up and it's not breaking the wallet, more bang for your buck. i'm thinking he could prolly tear a kong up, i've heard of aggressive chewers to be able to destruct them. and he disassembles everything i give him.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:18 am

arlene2010 wrote:you guys are really helpful, there is a junk yard right up the road, they prolly have old moped tires, should i go ask? seems like it takes longer to tear up and it's not breaking the wallet, more bang for your buck. i'm thinking he could prolly tear a kong up, i've heard of aggressive chewers to be able to destruct them. and he disassembles everything i give him.

The black kongs DO last a while, but not as long as I ever expected them too.
Also we have gotten two jolly balls. The first was the one with a rope and that had a hole within ten minutes. The second we have now...it's the kind with a handle. It had a hole within a few minutes but we keep it reserved for VERY supervised play time only.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:30 am

Really no toys are meant to be torn at and survive. They're meant to be de stressing chewed and played with.

One of my pit bulls and one of my malinois will grind toys when hyped up. They love the jolly balls for this reason because it is flexable to take their pressure bite and yet holds up so they don't find weaknesses as easily.

We love the Cuz here for my male malinois because he carries it all over like a pacifier but god forbid my male pit bull get it first in a game of fetch, he's already torn off one foot and one horn and that's literally in 10 seconds before I grabbed it back.

Once again our tire toy is just for active play so I can't attest to its quality as a bone substitute.

Our black kongs hold up very well but they're mostly feed toys and fetch toys. I leave them sitting around but the dogs don't seem to want to destroy toys that don't have easy weaknesses or insides like a broken handle jolly ball or a stuffed toy.

Lastly, if you are looking for a toy to keep the dog busy by himself I highly recommend buying a rack of rib bones, cutting them up one by one and freezing them. When you need the dog to be occupied toss one outside or in his crate or a bathroom and let him go to town. If he can demolish one very quickly give him 2 bones at a time.

I rely on frozen bones, stuffed kongs and stuffed frozen marrow bones to keep my dogs busy when I can't.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Like for human consumption, those kinds of rib bones?

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”