Walking Harnesses for the High Maintenance...

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Walking Harnesses for the High Maintenance...

Postby sebb0191 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:07 pm

I've recently been looking into harness possibilities on the internet. I've always been slightly wary of ordering customized items online, so I tend to stick with purchasing pet store harnesses. Needless to say, they've all failed in one way or another. Let's just be honest here, Koda is high maintenance. Every product seems to bother him in one way or another. But, I've narrowed it down to a couple of things I need for sure.

1. The harness needs to be light weight, but durable enough to withstand his size. He's about 75 pounds when he's a little chubby, so he's a big boy. He does pull when he sees something he wants, such as a ball or random piece of trash, but other than that he's good on walks. However, I live in Texas, and in the summer it's hot. Real hot. And this dog does not do hot. He complains when it gets above 75 degrees. He drinks straight from his own water bottle about every 10 minutes. Remember the high maintenance part? Anywho, I don't want something that is going to make him even hotter than he already will be. I love the idea of the fleece lined harnesses, but I worry about overheating in that case.

2. The harness needs to have a large chest piece. This guy has a big, barrel chest. Everything I've purchased in pet stores is not made for his big chest. The piece that goes down his chest from the collar is never long enough, which then causes the back straps that it connects to to rub on his little armpits. He doesn't have much hair on his under side, so his armpits bleed quickly, and it doesn't look great.

I'm definitely open to all suggestions as far as websites and types of harnesses that might work for him. Let me know what has worked for your dog if you're in a similar situation too. Thanks!

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Walking Harnesses for the High Maintenance...

Postby lilangel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:38 pm

http://www.itsmysite.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=2&domain=1&webdir=cdpits

CD Pits walking harnesses get my vote again and again. Most durable and comfy harness that is also easy to put on and machine washable out there. You can't go wrong with one. Thin haired dogs do great in them.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:11 pm

lilangel wrote:http://www.itsmysite.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=2&domain=1&webdir=cdpits

CD Pits walking harnesses get my vote again and again. Most durable and comfy harness that is also easy to put on and machine washable out there. You can't go wrong with one. Thin haired dogs do great in them.

:goodpost: CD pits make really nice harnesses!

chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby chelsea00133 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:44 pm

I have a walking harness from MissyV - http://www.weightpullharness.com/
It's a great harness. Incredibly sturdy, and VERY lightweight. I haven't had any issues with it rubbing either. I use it for walking, and as a seatbelt harness in the car, and it has held up very well and is still in great shape. Other than the dog hair all over it, it looks brand new.

I have a weight pull harness (not a walking harness) from CDpits, and it is also a great harness. Very well made and sturdy, I have had it for years and, other than being dirty and covered with hair, it still looks brand new.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:11 pm

I second Missy V

I got Khan's harness from her. Added an extra D ring and handle. She was great to deal with. Awesome price and fast turn around.

It is sturdy enough that I can lift Khan with the handle lol

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:57 pm

I am going to purchase a harness for bike riding. I'm going with a Missy V harness, I have one of her weight pulling harnesses and I just love it.

sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby sebb0191 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'd seen the CD Pits harnesses before in my searching, but hadn't looked at the Missy V ones before. My question for both harnesses deals with the fur? How thick is it? Is it going to make him too hot? I like the idea of it to prevent rubbing his his skin, but I also worry about the heat factor.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:01 pm

IMO it doesn't make Khan really much hotter than he would be without it. No if it was like a full shirt or coat or something, that may be a different story lol

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:31 am

I also vote for the Missy V harnesses - I use Inara's for everything now. She pulls like a fiend and wears it in the car and it hasn't chafed at all. And the fleece is only on the straps - it's not like it's a full blanket of fleece.

If you want leather, then I'd recommend Brad's stuff - http://www.stleathercraft.com/harnesses.html . His harnesses have big chestplates and he'll custom-size everything for you so the straps fit where you want them.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:59 am

Will a walking harness with a place to attach the leash on the front have the same effect as one of those "no pull" harnesses? Last night we walked Trooper with a head collar and when we got home I realized it'd rubbed one side of his lip so raw he was bleeding. (he has big jowly lips)

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:11 am

I plan on ordering a Missy V walking harness. They look really nice, although I've never had one before. I'm sure it will be nice though.

Those of you that say you use it as a seat belt in the car, can you explain how? Bentley can't ride in crates in the car, and I'm always worried if we were to have a car accident, he would go through the windshield. Since I travel 1-2hr trips every couple of weeks with him, I think it's a great idea to find something that will work in the car. So, I'm really interested in hearing how you use it as a seatbelt, or how it attaches.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:04 am

jamielvsaustin wrote:Will a walking harness with a place to attach the leash on the front have the same effect as one of those "no pull" harnesses? Last night we walked Trooper with a head collar and when we got home I realized it'd rubbed one side of his lip so raw he was bleeding. (he has big jowly lips)

It seems to happen a lot.. but the harnesses don't seem to cause bleeding burns. I have a friend who just attaches the leash to a front O ring and it works fine for her but I think most of the no pull have some extra nylon that tightens the harness if they pull as well as redirects the dogs chest. I don't own one though so hopefully personal experience can chime in.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:57 am

Adrianne wrote:
jamielvsaustin wrote:Will a walking harness with a place to attach the leash on the front have the same effect as one of those "no pull" harnesses? Last night we walked Trooper with a head collar and when we got home I realized it'd rubbed one side of his lip so raw he was bleeding. (he has big jowly lips)

It seems to happen a lot.. but the harnesses don't seem to cause bleeding burns.

No, it does not "happen a lot", if the head collar is used properly and along with actual training. Easy walk harnesses can actually cause sores on a dog's armpit for the very same reason. Equipment should not just be placed on a dog and call it a day. Head collars can be padded for dogs who are new at wearing them as well, since the skin area around the muzzle can be sensitive. The newer Halties now come with padding on the top of the muzzle area.

I use CD Pits harnesses for exercise walks on my dogs. One of them:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:05 pm

i can certainly vouch for CD Pits' walking harness ... i bought one eons ago, used it for everything from bike riding to treadmilling (it's what my dog is wearing in the avatar photo) to walking and aside from the fact that it looks broken in, it's in about the same condition as when i bought it. sturdy, well-made, simple. love it. except that i have not been able to locate it since i moved, so i need to buy a new one. grr.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:43 pm

trexgorawrrrrr wrote:I plan on ordering a Missy V walking harness. They look really nice, although I've never had one before. I'm sure it will be nice though.

Those of you that say you use it as a seat belt in the car, can you explain how? Bentley can't ride in crates in the car, and I'm always worried if we were to have a car accident, he would go through the windshield. Since I travel 1-2hr trips every couple of weeks with him, I think it's a great idea to find something that will work in the car. So, I'm really interested in hearing how you use it as a seatbelt, or how it attaches.

I have a seatbelt that attaches to the harness or collar. It has a clip on one end to attach to things and it snaps into the seatbelt thing with a seatbelt like end.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”