Some Ideas for outdoor Flirt Poles

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Some Ideas for outdoor Flirt Poles

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Okay so I want to do two different types of flirt poles. One for snow to tug and pull and play with and the other as a lure to get her to want to dive in and go after toys in the water (Without me loosing them >>). For the second Idea I was thinking of getting a regular fishing pole and tying her toys to the string. The first Idea I have no idea how or where to make a flirt pole.

So do you have any handy suggestions? I wanna have it done by the time or around the time snow gets her stitches out.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Some Ideas for outdoor Flirt Poles

Postby starrlamia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:10 pm

the first sounds like a spring pole.

For a flirt pole, we made one out of a broom stick and some heavy duty rope lol

for the spring pole, I used a chain around a tree with a carabiner holding it on, a caribiner holding an inner tube on the chain, (instead of a spring cause i couldnt find a heavy duty one) a caribiner holding a rope ( to the inner tube) and a toy tied to the end (more rope actually lol). If you google spring pole you will get an idea.

Aaron
Newborn Bully

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:23 pm

I just tied a little rope toy to a Whip Lunge for Daisy. Works great.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:10 am

starrlamia wrote:the first sounds like a spring pole.

for the spring pole, I used a chain around a tree with a carabiner holding it on, a caribiner holding an inner tube on the chain, (instead of a spring cause i couldnt find a heavy duty one) a caribiner holding a rope ( to the inner tube) and a toy tied to the end (more rope actually lol). If you google spring pole you will get an idea.

Thanks!

And do you think the fishing pole idea is a bad one? 0o; It seems odd to me but I can't think of anything that could cast something at a good distance to get her to go after it in the water! D: (Doesn't have a good throwing arm).

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:09 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:
starrlamia wrote:the first sounds like a spring pole.

Thanks!

And do you think the fishing pole idea is a bad one? 0o; It seems odd to me but I can't think of anything that could cast something at a good distance to get her to go after it in the water! D: (Doesn't have a good throwing arm).

i would be worried about her going after the line and getting hurt from it, my bully always goes for the rope no matter whats on the end (unless its more rope, he's weird).

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Hmm... Well I was thinking that fishing line would be nearly transparent for a dog to see so they would only see the toy flying. I could be wrong. I wasn't thinking that the dog would go after the line. I guess i'll rethink that one.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Flirt poles are really easy to make. I would not suggest using a fishing pole with fishing line as that could be dangerous. You can still use a flirt pole in the water, just make the rope longer. The rope I have on my flirt pole floats!

It would be great toys for both your dogs as Bully breeds are not the only ones who enjoy flirt poles/spring poles.

Here is a link on how to make an inexpensive flirt pole: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68102&hilit=flirt+pole

Here are my flirt poles(you will have to open the first picture in another tab as it got cut of a little):

And the spring pole we had at our old house(I eventually had to change to springs to stronger ones and changed the rope toys to fleece tug toys as they liked those better.):

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:15 pm

thanks! Looks great! I will look into it and see what I need to get.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:24 am

SnowKoi2010 wrote:Hmm... Well I was thinking that fishing line would be nearly transparent for a dog to see so they would only see the toy flying.

She could also get tangled in it if she can't see it (even if she can, but especially if she can't), which could cut her up or cause her to have difficulty swimming... not safe. Plus, you really don't want to teach her to chase peoples' casts if you have her around water, she could end up getting hooked or otherwise in a dangerous situation when she chases someone elses line, and most people won't find it amusing ;)

My flirtpole is made of a 7' or so long piece of bamboo (lightweight, strong, good flex), with about a 5' rope, you could probably make something similar, but with a slightly longer rope, and some of the bamboo from the area I got mine from is easily 15' high, so there's definitely room to make it bigger if needed. If you have access to someplace with a pier, I would use that, as you can walk along it and pull the lure while she swims alongside... this will enable you to get ahold of her easily/quickly if needed as well (you can even keep a leash on her). Just be careful of debris under the water, my small dogs are at minimal risk because they don't touch ground in more than 10", but I'm still careful after seeing a friend's bigger dog cut her hind leg badly on some unknown item. Also keep in mind that if you're luring her, she may not stop when she needs a break, so you need to be that much more in tune to her safety during swimming and cut her off before she tires.

Don't forget that wading in shallow water is terrific exercise too. I like to play with my two with the flirtpole (or play fetch) in about mid chest deep water- not so deep they try to swim, but deep enough they can't jump through it easily. It provides a bit of bouyancy, and a lot of resistance.... one of few things that wears my one dog out, he gets super frustrated by how slowly he moves toward the toy lol

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:32 am

Interesting. You pointed out a lot of things I didn't think about. And I do have access to a pier, just not one where i could easily get her if needed. But I do like the shallow water Idea. I really need to invest in my summer swim wear so I can get in the lake with her and play.

Where did you get the bamboo from if you don't mind me asking.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:15 am

We have a "summer home" next door to us that is uninhabited for 5+ years, and has a large thicket/patch of bamboo in it (FYI: it's highly invasive- and slowly crawling its way over to our yard)... the owners had told us when they lived there that if we ever wanted any of it, to just come cut a couple pieces. I went over, hacked a 1" or so wide piece down with a kitchen knife, stripped the branches off, and dremeled the leftovers smooth. I'd imagine that you could find someplace to buy a piece, but couldn't tell you where. On mine, I left a little nub of branch at the end to hold on the rope for the lure, but I'm sure you could figure something out if you bought one without that amenity.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:17 am

xD I wish you could mail me some. Thats okay though, I think I might be able to get some from a craft store or something. I"ll look around.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:54 pm

I use a lunge whip. PVC also works well for Gooeydog's design if you can't get bamboo.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”