Custom Made Leather Collars

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
snikles
Adolescent Bully

Custom Made Leather Collars

Postby snikles » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:51 pm

I am looking to get Lily a custom made leather collar once she is full grown. I have a few questions:

1) What is a good age to get the collar? i.e. when will she likely stop growing?

2) I know we have some individuals on here who do this type of work. Who are they? Where are their websites?

3) What are some options and suggestions? What types of things can they do with a leather collar? Colors, designs, lining, etc.

Price is not really an option (I don't want to pay $1000 for a collar) especially if it is good quality that will last a long time.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re: Custom Made Leather Collars

Postby Libby » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:09 pm

1) What is a good age to get the collar? i.e. when will she likely stop growing?

I'd say when she is close to a year old...between 9 and 12 months. That way if she does grow more, the collar should be adjustable still. Just let whoever you choose to make the collar know her age.

2) I know we have some individuals on here who do this type of work. Who are they? Where are their websites?

My favorites for leather:

http://www.petesdoggear.com
http://www.ellaslead.com
http://www.stleathercraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CustomCanineCollars

All of the owners of those sites are members on this board :)

3) What are some options and suggestions? What types of things can they do with a leather collar? Colors, designs, lining, etc.

They are all pretty much completely custom, so you just take whatever thoughts and ideas you have for a collar and they will all work with you on your design.

Price is not really an option (I don't want to pay $1000 for a collar) especially if it is good quality that will last a long time.

In my opinion, all of the places I posted have very fair prices for the types of work they do. Plus, they all have really fantastic customer service, which is always a big thing for me!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:38 pm

I am in love with Paco Collars! They are on the expensive side, but my goodness, it is worth every penny.

trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby trip8581 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:01 pm

I also make custom leather collars -
www.IELeather.etsy.com

I can design a collar to your specifications and also have ready to wear collars always available too! :)

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:13 pm

I second http://www.facebook.com/CustomCanineCollars
I love Chelsea's work, I adore the collar she made for me and it has stood up to my boy very very well.

If you're wanting just a normal walking collar I'd suggest one around 1 1/5 - 2 inches. Mine is 3 inches and has deer skin padding but it's made for pulling during sports such as lure sports.

She can tool in words, and she could tell you more about it obviously. :) I don't know that much about collar making. ;)

Here's the one she made me.
The padding

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:51 pm

I got my collars from california collar co. Love them.
http://californiacollarco.com/

snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby snikles » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:
Here's the one she made me.
The padding

That is very nice.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Gonna second the Ella's Lead and ST Leathercraft! Both places make WONDERFUL, sturdy products!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:28 pm

snikles wrote:1) What is a good age to get the collar? i.e. when will she likely stop growing?

about 10 months if you was OK with possibly having a longer tongue for a while as they grow. You could wait until she's a year if you want the best guess.

I prefer collars between 1 and 1.5 inches. I really don't like super thick collars on my dogs.

I buy all my leather collars from Paco Collars. We're an active family and their collars can take anything my dogs give it and sometimes with just a rinse off - look amazing.

In addition, I'm a stickler for symmetry and spacing. All of my Paco Collars have been perfect in that regard.

Honestly, it only depends on what you want and the role the collar will play in your life. For us, we want collars that can "do it all" so to speak. So that way if I forget they have "that" collar on and we leave for an event, I'm not kicking myself later.

I also wanted some studding but wanted flat studs that wouldn't pinch when I was holding a collar. We tested them out and found some we like.

DSC_1674 by silly_wicket, on Flickr

DSC_1665 by silly_wicket, on Flickr

Need for Speed 027 by silly_wicket, on Flickr

DSCN0117 by silly_wicket, on Flickr

I'll have to get more photos of them crusted in mud or wet or any of the other nasty things we do to them.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:46 pm

There are many amazing collar makers on this forum. (many of whom I would order from if I didn't have all my $ tied up in dogs lol )

I personally like Ella's Lead the mostest b/c the balance between quality and price is exceptional! My dogs are working in the outdoors/hills everyday. Whether it is coursing, hunting or just hiking they get into rough brush, mud and water on a regular basis, and they still look great! Even Rosen's collar looks really good considering he has worn it almost exclusively for over a year, gone canyoneering 10x, goes bouldering almost daily, swims whenever he gets the chance and has flushed out some rough game wearing it.

I use 1.5" collars on the Pit Bulls. The Boerboel wears 2" collars, and the JRT wears 1.25" collars.

I don't care much for spikes, since they are not practical to grab. I have a spiked collar for the Boerboel that she wore only for pics, but that got old when she would walk up to me and stab my leg in an attempt to love on me.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:12 am

Stella has a Paco Collar. It's amazing. Love love love. :inlove:

(not the best photo, but you can see how perfectly spaced everything is!)

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:50 am

I have one leather from Collarmania who is no longer making leather goods unfortunately. After that I'll go to pacos. I love how durable and clean and classy her collar designs are. They're out of my price range currently but when we get back to a point that we can excess on collar purchases I'll be outfitting the dogs in Pacos gear.

I must say, though, some collars are made to be ornamental and not durable so I would double check before you purchase a collar. Just for piece of mind incase you ever need to tie the dog out on the collar or take it swimming or hiking in the collar, etc. I have two pretty weak ribbon martingales that I keep around because they're adorable and make for great "day out" collars like demos we do with our bullies, etc. I have to use a second collar as my real collar and the other for looks which isn't a big deal to me but it's good to know what a collar can withstand and make a judgement call from there.

This is one of them and his collarmania leather collar which has held up pretty well but I haven't put it to the test of swimming or hiking.
102310_12 by AdrianneIsabel, on Flickr

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:03 pm

I LOVE my Ella's Lead Collars! they are beautiful and functional, and affordable!

Piggies custom McStolly mix

Couda in the original McStolly Mix I designed for her!

Ferrall wearing a Poppy collar and a leather slip

he also has a custom white Mcstolly Mix (hard to see though its a gorgeous collar!)

the girls also have tag collars you can see in the picture of piggie, and here is couda wearing hers

My little dogs also have Ellas Lead Collars! I'll spare you the pictures though hahaha needless to say I really do love working with and buying my collars from Ellas Lead. I do have collars from paco and petesdoggear, and stleathercraft and I like them all just fine, Ellas Lead just happens to be my favorite.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:57 am

I forgot to mention that I also have a Cali Girl collar for Fiona that is really cute. :)

This one hasn't been put to the test much. She's a small dog and is walked with a harness, but it has held up to Stella's mouthing at it. ;)

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Sun May 01, 2011 10:44 am

Semper has a 1.5" Paco collar. It has held up to hiking and swimming.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”