Anyone go camping with their dogs?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Anyone go camping with their dogs?

Postby dogs4jen » Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm

We haven't gone on a vacation, or anywhere really, in quite a while. We haven't really gone anywhere since we've had Roscoe and he's three years old. We were thinking maybe we could go camping with them, maybe rent or buy a camper. I was just wondering if this is a good idea or not. :aha:

nic
Forum Junky

Re: Anyone go camping with their dogs?

Postby nic » Fri May 20, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm about to go to agility camp for a week,and stay in a tent with the dogs,I'll let you know how I get on! lol

kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby kornygerm » Fri May 20, 2011 7:36 pm

i would, im going camping with my dad and his friends, but they not the type of people who take their dogs to camping.

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Postby afrikaPB » Fri May 20, 2011 7:57 pm

I go tent camping with my dogs, and we all LOVE it. One of the highlights of summer, IMO.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat May 21, 2011 4:21 pm

I tent camp with my dogs every summer. it's the best fun ever. Make sure all your dog is current on all immunizations, take plenty of food, water, bedding, leashes, identification, and a sturdy tie out cable. We even take Kane canoeing, so a floatation vest is helpful also. I also bring a long line for fun in the river.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat May 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Here's Kane in front of my tent

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat May 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Nice pic of Kane! Thanks for the tips, it sounds do-able. :thumbsup:

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Sat May 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Yep, we camp with the dogs all the time. In addition to that fairly complete list above, we'll usually bring a portable crate as well and sometimes clothes if you're going someplace that gets really cold at night (we tend to go to the desert a lot).

Have fun! Camping with dogs is the best.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat May 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Extra water and extra bedding are always good, especially if you have a dog that wants to sleep with you... or take over your sleeping pad!

I've taken B camping with me every summer for the last few years. Not sure he loves sleeping in the great outdoors without a mattress under him and a down comforter over him, but that's why we go car camping so I can bring an actual big foam dog bed for him. I went backpacking with him once and we were both miserable and tired, because he decided his ultra lightweight bed just wasn't cutting it. Ugh.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 am

My dogs carry their own supplies whenever we go camping. It's one of the reasons why I got a malinois - he'll be about 60-70 lbs full grown and can carry 15-25 lbs of food and water all by himself.

I'm in the process of making my own packs for them, since I really don't like any of the ones on the market, even the ruff wear packs. For some reason none of them (and I've gone through them all) work perfectly, and the most expensive ruffwear pack left sores on Cole after only 30 minutes of wearing it. It was properly sized.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue May 24, 2011 10:02 am

Austin is doing really well with his Ruffwear pack, it is kind of nice having him carry our water! We have just taken him on two-three hour hikes with it so far. I do wish the main fabric wasn't black, I think it makes him hotter than if it were a lighter color. Thanks for all the tips, I wouldn't have thought of things like tie-outs.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue May 24, 2011 10:46 am

There is an old camping thread about what to take but I can't seem to find it.

We used to camp and long hike with Arnold several times a month. Unfortunately with training eating up our weekends and real jobs instead of school jobs we've really slacked on the awesomeness of it.

I always pack an extra collar, leash, some extra towels, treats, and a tie out. Also a first aide kit and booties if your dog has sensitive feet, Arnold has the WORST.

Along with a tent for sleeping we like to lay out towels for Arnold to lay on on the ground. He loves being in the tent and in an effort to limit the dirt tracked in we make him lay outside of it... usually.

Havasu0088 by AdrianneIsabel, on Flickr
(but in this photo you'll notice Arnolds towel and life jacket are on the sand and Arnold is in the tent. lol)

Arnolds favorite place to be.
IMG_2790 by AdrianneIsabel, on Flickr

Depending on where we go we have a 6 man tent and a 2 man tent. Arnold still sleeps with us in both tents. When we go next month to California we're taking just the malinois and I doubt they're sleep with us, they don't really sleep. lol

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Tue May 24, 2011 11:02 am

That's a nice tent. I can't recall the last time I've gone camping and it wasn't raining. I think next time I'll head to the desert and give you guys some much needed wet weather lol

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue May 24, 2011 11:12 am

Maybe you could hire yourself out as a drought reliever? lol

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue May 24, 2011 7:51 pm

If you do have your dog carry his own supplies, you'll want to work them up to it slowly. Most recommendations I've seen max the dog out at carrying 1/4 his body weight, but you should start very slowly - an empty pack, and gradually increase the weight so they can get into shape without injury!

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”