Need Soft Crate Advise

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Need Soft Crate Advise

Postby NorCalRose » Sat May 28, 2011 12:09 am

We started with a new trainer and she wants us to use a soft crate. Can anyone recommend one that will do the job and not brake the bank?

Thank you!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Need Soft Crate Advise

Postby FransterDoo » Sat May 28, 2011 8:34 am

PetEdge sells some cheap ones. They aren't the easiest to put up (out of all the soft crates I've tried) but if you aren't using it to travel a bunch? could be totally fine.

We use a Nose2Nose (N2N) one for Frances. You're looking at about $100 for a pit bull sized one.

My primary concern is you spending money just to possibly have your dog shred one... and they can get out of them. Hank used to be able to be in one but once he broke out and now he will totally try to shred one. As will our doxie mix, Pete. If we don't remember to use the zipper clip thing, Franny will just lick at the zipper until it moves down a smidge and then open the door.

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Sat May 28, 2011 2:48 pm

FransterDoo wrote:We use a Nose2Nose (N2N) one for Frances. You're looking at about $100 for a pit bull sized one.

Juno is pretty good in the crate and we will only be using it during training for ring side timeouts. Anything other than that, and it's back to her wire crate. This is why I really didn't want to invest a lot money in something that we aren't going to get a lot use out of.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll check them out.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Yeah, I left Loki in one in my dad's apartment. She greeted us after dinner from his couch. Just opened the zipper. I will only use them with supervision. Personally, I lucked out and got mine when a Corgi breeder was selling off a bunch of stuff.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat May 28, 2011 6:59 pm

If it's just for very short times, Oscar has this one: http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fusea ... rentCat=83 in the largest size, I think.

It's not sturdy, so if he tried to go through it, he would, but it's easy to store and pop up, and easy on the wallet, too. (it's sitting on a pillow there, it does sit evenly on flatter ground)

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Sat May 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks Amie. Love the pic! I totally agree that they are not a something to leave a strong dog (or determined little dog) alone in. I have another dog that I wouldn't put in a soft crate for love or money! Talk about a nightmare waiting to happen.

Juno and I been training for a bit and she is pretty conditioned to settling in her crate in between training exercises and I will be right there.

Wow!! What a great price. I'm buying one. Thank you.

maciek
Newborn Bully

Postby maciek » Sat May 28, 2011 10:19 pm

I bought an elitefield crate for class....thought it would be ok just for a few minutes of separation. My dog was fine with for the 2-3 classes he could see me from the crate...but once I took it to a class where we had to go in a separate room he tore a hole in the see through net (had a sheet over it as well so he could not see out) and got out within maybe 5 minutes. Luckily the only thing he did was jump up on the door and look through the window behind the trainers back searching for me lol . I wouldn't trust one again...

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Sun May 29, 2011 9:08 am

maciek wrote:but once I took it to a class where we had to go in a separate room he tore a hole in the see through net (had a sheet over it as well so he could not see out) and got out within maybe 5 minutes.

:wow That would be my fear if I left her. Any signs of stress or attempts to get out and we bring out the wire crate. I think the trainer would agree. I'm not concerned about how my dog would behave if she were to take a romp. I'm concerned about the other dogs!

The other thing that concerns me is ventilation. Even though the soft crates have windows, they just aren't ventilated like wire crates. This is a very large indoor facility and I don't know how warm it gets in the summer months. If my dog appears to be getting too warm in the soft crate, I will insist on using her wire crate.

DogNerd
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby DogNerd » Sun May 29, 2011 10:56 am

for classes I use this Boots and Barkley crate from target. It cost about 15 or 20 bucks when I got it. It closes up to a disk and stores easily in my car. It is the same idea as the one Amie posted. It is NOT a sturdy crate but my dog is never in there unsupervised. It's just for waiting our turn, walking courses etc.. When it is outside, you can stake it down but indoors it can move around. Q has rolled it before. She knows she can get out of it but respects it.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:39 am

check out Target stores for pop up crates and they now carry an inexpensive soft crate too(soft crate are a bit sturdier then the pop up crates)

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:46 am

I just want to be very honest here and say I hate all of you able to trust your dogs in soft crates even for a moment. That is all. lol

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:49 am

Adrianne wrote:I just want to be very honest here and say I hate all of you able to trust your dogs in soft crates even for a moment. That is all. lol

Fran's not 100%. We have to move her into Hank's crate if he's racing and she's not. And the front panel of her crate has a sewn second layer of mesh since she's scratched at it.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:30 pm

i have one that i got from costco. it's got a great sturdy metal frame, and pretty strong canvas.
the front mesh door opens/unzips, as does one of the side ones, and the canvas roof.
the mesh is the weakest link, but so far my dog hasn't tried to eat her way out of it. i wouldn't use it in an unsupervised situation, but at class it's great, and it's handy to have in my car just in case of emergencies.

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:34 am

kaytenmags wrote:i have one that i got from costco. it's got a great sturdy metal frame, and pretty strong canvas.
the front mesh door opens/unzips, as does one of the side ones, and the canvas roof.
the mesh is the weakest link, but so far my dog hasn't tried to eat her way out of it. i wouldn't use it in an unsupervised situation, but at class it's great, and it's handy to have in my car just in case of emergencies.

I got one of the pop ups from Target. Oh my dog!!! I never would have predicted her reaction. We have participated in off leash training and matches for some time now and have been using crates since she was 5 weeks old! That is my excuse for not trying her out in before class. DUMB and I know better. She thought it was going to eat her! What a mess.

Since then I have used a framed one as described above. She is absolutely fine. Trying to escape her crate because it is flimsy wasn't a concern and still isn't. The pop up is just not what she is "conditioned" to. I'm sure I could work with her a bit and she would be fine but the framed one works and even though it's heavier, she likes it.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:05 pm

This thread just made me LOL. I was at a weight pull and there was a Staffy bull waiting in one of those soft-sided crates like the red ones above. He kept leaning on the side and chortling, and the crate was rolling away. It was hilarious.

I should clarify that my soft-sided crate actually has a locking hard frame. Like folding chair legs that hold up the sides, if that makes sense.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”