Need Soft Crate Advise

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Re: Need Soft Crate Advise

Postby NorCalRose » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:48 am

bahamutt99 wrote:This thread just made me LOL. I was at a weight pull and there was a Staffy bull waiting in one of those soft-sided crates like the red ones above. He kept leaning on the side and chortling, and the crate was rolling away. It was hilarious.

I should clarify that my soft-sided crate actually has a locking hard frame. Like folding chair legs that hold up the sides, if that makes sense.

That is just what my dog did! I had to try to stop the motion in order to unzip her. Nice first impression for class. :thumbsup: The soft crate I'm using now is canvas and has the locking frame. She seems feel more secure in it. I guess if they have frames and are sturdy, they don't eat pit bulls.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 am

NorCalRose wrote:
kaytenmags wrote:i have one that i got from costco. it's got a great sturdy metal frame, and pretty strong canvas.
the front mesh door opens/unzips, as does one of the side ones, and the canvas roof.
the mesh is the weakest link, but so far my dog hasn't tried to eat her way out of it. i wouldn't use it in an unsupervised situation, but at class it's great, and it's handy to have in my car just in case of emergencies.

I got one of the pop ups from Target. Oh my dog!!! I never would have predicted her reaction. We have participated in off leash training and matches for some time now and have been using crates since she was 5 weeks old! That is my excuse for not trying her out in before class. DUMB and I know better. She thought it was going to eat her! What a mess.

Since then I have used a framed one as described above. She is absolutely fine. Trying to escape her crate because it is flimsy wasn't a concern and still isn't. The pop up is just not what she is "conditioned" to. I'm sure I could work with her a bit and she would be fine but the framed one works and even though it's heavier, she likes it.

So the framed soft-sided crate you like? And it works for you? No dog busting loose?

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:54 am

lilangel wrote:
NorCalRose wrote:
kaytenmags wrote:i have one that i got from costco. it's got a great sturdy metal frame, and pretty strong canvas.
the front mesh door opens/unzips, as does one of the side ones, and the canvas roof.
the mesh is the weakest link, but so far my dog hasn't tried to eat her way out of it. i wouldn't use it in an unsupervised situation, but at class it's great, and it's handy to have in my car just in case of emergencies.

I got one of the pop ups from Target. Oh my dog!!! I never would have predicted her reaction. We have participated in off leash training and matches for some time now and have been using crates since she was 5 weeks old! That is my excuse for not trying her out in before class. DUMB and I know better. She thought it was going to eat her! What a mess.

Since then I have used a framed one as described above. She is absolutely fine. Trying to escape her crate because it is flimsy wasn't a concern and still isn't. The pop up is just not what she is "conditioned" to. I'm sure I could work with her a bit and she would be fine but the framed one works and even though it's heavier, she likes it.

So the framed soft-sided crate you like? And it works for you? No dog busting loose?

Yep! It gets a thumbs up from me and Juno. As everyone has stated they are not intended for dogs who are escape artists or I imagine have anxiety about being in a crate they just aren't strong enough to hold a dog that really wants out! I would have loved it if she didn't think the pop up was plotting her assassination. It is super light weight and folds up virtually flat. I stuffed it under the car seat with the first aid box.

kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby kornygerm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:28 pm

so bottom line, could those pop up crates work on a small medium size semi calm dog? still i could just get one of those metal ones.. I'm very new to crates, we usually just fine with a dog house outside.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”