New car.....need dog barrier recommendations

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

New car.....need dog barrier recommendations

Postby jtalt7 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 pm

So I pick up my new car tomorrow and am in need of some recommendations on a dog barrier. My old one was rough on my car and I'd like to keep this from looking only like a dog mobile.

Anyone had any luck with a certain brand/model

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: New car.....need dog barrier recommendations

Postby pblove » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:26 am

I bought a couple different ones to try out and took them back as they did not fit the way I wanted them to. I suggest you contact your car mfg and see if they make custom ones for your make/model (I have a Subaru Forester and will probably order one of theirs, although they are a lot pricier )

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:28 pm

I would LOVE to buy from the manufacture as it is a nice looking gate BUT they only sell them in Europe..........that is where I am having all my trouble.

I have bought 3 this week, hated them all and none of them fit.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:44 pm

I saw a great one at a dog show last Fall, but owner was not there to ask where it was bought.
It was heavy duty metal barrier (very small retangles so no paws or noses could get thru the slots)across the back and it had a gate so you could leave the hatch back door open and get your dog in and out of the gate. The gate had a padlock on it, so car was open for ventilation, but you couldn't get the dog out with out unlocking it's door. I loved it, even left a note on the windshield asking them to email or call me with info on it, but did not hear from them
If you happen to see that type, will you let me know please?

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:44 pm

If you have an SUV you might look into Milford Barriers. They are installed into the C-pillar right behind the back seat and curve to follow the slant of the back seat to maximize cargo space. The entire cargo area becomes a huge impenetrable dog crate more or less. They are removable in about 60 seconds by way of very convenient hand screwable pressure locked bolts if you ever need the space but when they are in they are impossible to break through or pull out without jaws of life. They even have folds built into the brackets to serve as shock absorbers if something were to slam into the barrier. You can get one with a door in it in case of emergencies.

They are heavy gauge welded powder coated steel and are designed to keep expedition cargo from killing passengers in event of a roll-over, collision etc. so they are super strong but light weight. We have them for our Land Cruisers although we do not drive them much any more. I would offer to sell you one of ours but uninstalling them would be a royal pain. They are made in Australia and I think you could get one for about $300 from a US distributer.

To install one you do need to fully commit and cut through your headliner and drill out some sheet metal, but it looks like a standard piece of equipment when it is all finished. The bracket holes have gray polymer covers so you can close them and it looks nice if the barrier is out.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:53 pm

that sounds like what I saw/was babbling about, thanks for the name of the company Vin

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:44 pm

That is exactly what I want BUT I am not allowed to drill in the car :( My husband works at a dealership and we will be getting a new car every 6 months and I was told I cant drill.......

For right now I am using tie downs in the cargo area and it is working out ok. I just wont be able to transport anything for awhile which is ok considering I have an almost 9mos old son which knocks me out of doing most transports anyways.

I am saving this link for when I get to actually keep a car long enough to drill !

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”