Lets talk poop.

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Adrianne

Lets talk poop.

Postby Adrianne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Okay, here we have it.

I have a small poop area in my yard. I also have summer heats of 100+.

Now, I am picking it up daily using grocery bags and hosing down/bleaching the rocks every other day, but then what to do with the poop in bags?

What do you guys do with your bags of poop?

The best suggestion I have had is a specific trash can for poop and layer in baking soda every day. Other than that, any other suggestions?

PitCurious
Newborn Bully

Lets talk poop.

Postby PitCurious » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Flush it?
When we had to take the dogs out on leash to do their business, I would just scoop it up, either in a baggie or scoop, then take it in directly to the toilet and flush it.
If I was to do it for many dogs, I'd prob have a dedicated bleachable container with a handle (like a milk jug with top cut off) to house the poop until I got inside to flush it. Is that too gross?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Re: Lets talk poop.

Postby afrikaPB » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:34 pm

You could get a Diaper Genie (used for human babies and their nasty diapers). It's a big plastic cylinder that opens at the top- you just drop diaper... or bag of poop...in-and it lands into a big plastic bag within the cylinder. When the bag is full there is a door that opens and you just take it out and chuck it. It really seals the smell in. I use one while babysitting my sisters kids and it is a simple, smart system.
If it were on your deck or the corner of your yard it might do the trick, and is pretty cheap new (I'm sure you could find one on craigslist)...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CGQQ8gIwAg

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:55 am

I have a separate trash can on my back porch for poop bags and bags of kitty litter scoops. It is 13 gal size. In thew summer time I usually empty it into the trash cans in the garage and they go to the curb on trash day. Although I imagine with your temps and multiple dogs that may not work. What about those holes in the ground with the enzyme stuff....name is escaping me right now.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am

Do you mean those Doggie Dooley's? We made homemade ones, and I can't say that they work too well for us, although I think I might have overloaded them. I made a thread a couple of years ago about how to make them, if you want to give it a try, maybe they would work better for someone else.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:10 pm

We just ordered two for a kennel yard, and will add another. I will give you a review once I have them in. We feed raw, so most of the time, it crumbles up, so I am thinking the inground thing should work just fine for us.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:We just ordered two for a kennel yard, and will add another. I will give you a review once I have them in. We feed raw, so most of the time, it crumbles up, so I am thinking the inground thing should work just fine for us.

Thanks, and thank you all. I will try a search for the home made ones too.

Unfortunately, although flushing sounds good, I have mostly rock landscape right now and pick up a good amount of rock with every handful of poop so I would worry about my toilets.

I really would love to go back to raw. The dogs jsut have bigger, stinkier, softer poop on this kibble. Even blue buffalo was better. Maybe after things look up some we can start adding more raw again and not have such an issue.

I also wonder if the new pool is causing some extra soft and stinky poop... :huh?:

DogNerd
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby DogNerd » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:47 pm

I have a small yard and there are lots of dogs here with mine and the upstairs neighbor's. I pick up poop "on demand" because flies are a real issue. We keep a smaller trash can with a twist-lock lid and a poop scooper. Can is lined with a trash bag. Poop goes in there and bag goes in the regular trash once a week on trash night. The can doesn't attract flies and doesn't seem to stink when it is shut.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:30 pm

dogs4jen wrote:Do you mean those Doggie Dooley's? We made homemade ones, and I can't say that they work too well for us, although I think I might have overloaded them. I made a thread a couple of years ago about how to make them, if you want to give it a try, maybe they would work better for someone else.

lol Yeah that is what I was talking about!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Adrianne wrote:
ProudMommy77 wrote:We just ordered two for a kennel yard, and will add another. I will give you a review once I have them in. We feed raw, so most of the time, it crumbles up, so I am thinking the inground thing should work just fine for us.

Thanks, and thank you all. I will try a search for the home made ones too.

Unfortunately, although flushing sounds good, I have mostly rock landscape right now and pick up a good amount of rock with every handful of poop so I would worry about my toilets.

I really would love to go back to raw. The dogs jsut have bigger, stinkier, softer poop on this kibble. Even blue buffalo was better. Maybe after things look up some we can start adding more raw again and not have such an issue.

I also wonder if the new pool is causing some extra soft and stinky poop... :huh?:

Maybe...I know when it is more humid here it stinks more(from my neighbors yards who refuse to pick up poop)

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Do you have like pea gravel that you are picking up or is it larger chunks of rock? If it is pea gravel and pretty level you can always get some fake grass like K9 grass or some astroturf type stuff and cover the rock. It would still let fluids drain and you could pick up the rock-free poopies to flush. Really no maintenance necessary after the initial turf purchase. Load up the brown and flush it down.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:51 pm

DogNerd wrote:I have a small yard and there are lots of dogs here with mine and the upstairs neighbor's. I pick up poop "on demand" because flies are a real issue. We keep a smaller trash can with a twist-lock lid and a poop scooper. Can is lined with a trash bag. Poop goes in there and bag goes in the regular trash once a week on trash night. The can doesn't attract flies and doesn't seem to stink when it is shut.

that is the system I have been using for years now.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:03 pm

I think we'll pull the rock and use artificial turf when we have money. For now its a combo of lava rock and pea gravel. I'm trying to pick up 2 times a day, tie off bags and put them in the best shade i have in a second trash bag. I need to buy a can with a lid next. Only problem is the poop is now set off to the side of the house and I forgot to take it out with the last trash day, doh!

Thanks so much all!

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:43 pm

...I just toss my poop bags in the public trash bins next to the bus stops in the area as we take our walks... or toss 'em right in the big dumpsters out back before coming inside. I guess there are SOME advantages to apartment living... :oops: lol

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Wait for the poop to bake in the sun and dry out and then pick it up. In the summer i dont even pick up the poop. I just mow over it once every 10 days (only if we get rains tho). In the winter, i pick it up every few days cause it dosnt decompose at all.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”