Puppy will be here in a month - What do I need?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Deuce
Newborn Bully

Puppy will be here in a month - What do I need?

Postby Deuce » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:08 pm

So my puppy will be here in about a month, I am trying to make a list of all the things I need when he gets here. I know I am missing a ton of things, what am I missing? He will be about 8 weeks old when he gets here.

1. Crate - the dog will be shipped to me via airplane, can I use the shipping crate to crate train him until he outgrows it or do I need to get another one?

2. Bed - I am debating whether I should go with a regular cloth/pillow type one or a elevated/cot type one.

3. Collar/leash - I really like the Bulldog Supply collars, I am thinking about getting the 1.5 inch padded collars. The smallest size they have is 15-19, they say to add 3 inches to dog's actual neck size for the padded collars, so that would mean the pups neck would have to be at least 12 inches. I am thinking that this will be too big for an 8 week old APBT, thoughts? Here is Bulldog Supply website: http://www.bulldogsupplycompany.com/collars.html

4. Dog Food and food and water dishes

5. Treats/clicker - any recommendations on good treats and clicker to use for training?

6. Toys - Was thinking a couple Kong toys, maybe make a flirt pole, and a work to eat toy? Do I need a bunch more?

That's all that I can think of at the moment, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Puppy will be here in a month - What do I need?

Postby starrlamia » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:24 pm

you can use the shipping crate, I prefer to get a crate large enough for them as an adult and making it smaller for a pup, so you dont have to switch crates and retrain them.

A 1.5 width collar will be way to wide for a pit bull puppy IMO, I would stick with 1" or thinner. I also wouldnt spend a lot of money on a collar right now because they outgrow them sooo fast! Probably once a month or so we had to buy new ones! We just used cheap petsmart nylon collars until he was bigger.

I would again start off with a cheapo bed, probably just to see if he is one who will tear it up or not. If he is then you can get one of the elevated beds like a kurunda. But both kinds are pretty awesome.

Dog food- Do you know what was being fed to him previously? I would get that food to start off with and you can always transition to a new one if you want too.

Treats- I really like freeze dried liver for training, it breaks up in small pieces and they seem to love it. For clickers I like the i-clicker design. you can get knock offs on ebay for like 1 dollar each!

Kongs definately, they can be stuffed and used as work to eat toys! I would lay off a flirt pole for now, you dont want to overdo it, just let him be a puppy for a while! Wubbas are awesome! Also look into getting some teething toys, some soft toys etc for when he starts to lose teeth.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Yeah, don't worry about a collar, when puppy arrives you might consider going with a harness. I never use collars on puppies until they mature a little and are like 9months to a year old. I'd spend most of my money on work to eat toys, ottoson puzzles, fetch toys, building obstacles to play on and most importantly, treats. Nothing else really matters. The "stuff" can all wait. I would feed the puppy by hand and begin establishing muscle memory for behaviors through luring. no bowl. The only thing he should get from a bowl is water. The food by hand is very important and turns the puppy's entire day into a learning experience. You can create the foundation for a bombproof recall from day 1. You can always tell how a puppy was raised by the way it responds to commands as an adult so do it right from day 1.

Please get a large variety of different treats so your puppy does not get fixated on any one thing. Do the same for toys. The more things your puppy plays with now the more ways you will be able to reward him as an adult. If you limit his play and exploratory experiences now, you and he will pay the price for the next 15 years.

Raw meaty bones are awesome for down time and for teething. Make sure you get the big knuckle ends though. The log smooth femur bones aren't very useful or interesting.

Any reason you are getting your puppy so early? 9 weeks would be a minimum for a pet and a first time dog owner. 10-12 from an experienced breeder who will expose puppy to necessary stimuli would be better. 7-8 weeks is asking for some issues down the line.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Sorry for the double I was doing two things at once. You should get yourself a large jug of Nature's Miracle in case of a potty training accident. Also, you might as well get a crate that will fit your dog as an adult. No reason to buy a small one then a big one. The shipping crate will probably be OK for a few days or longer depending on your pup. I would let puppy be out in the car on the drive home and sleep with you for a few days when he gets home. It is best to have two people in the car when you pick him up so one person can hold puppy and one can concentrate on driving.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:52 pm

lilangel wrote:Yeah, don't worry about a collar, when puppy arrives you might consider going with a harness. I never use collars on puppies until they mature a little and are like 9months to a year old. I'd spend most of my money on work to eat toys, ottoson puzzles, fetch toys, building obstacles to play on and most importantly, treats. Nothing else really matters. The "stuff" can all wait. I would feed the puppy by hand and begin establishing muscle memory for behaviors through luring. no bowl. The only thing he should get from a bowl is water. The food by hand is very important and turns the puppy's entire day into a learning experience. You can create the foundation for a bombproof recall from day 1. You can always tell how a puppy was raised by the way it responds to commands as an adult so do it right from day 1.

Please get a large variety of different treats so your puppy does not get fixated on any one thing. Do the same for toys. The more things your puppy plays with now the more ways you will be able to reward him as an adult. If you limit his play and exploratory experiences now, you and he will pay the price for the next 15 years.

Raw meaty bones are awesome for down time and for teething. Make sure you get the big knuckle ends though. The log smooth femur bones aren't very useful or interesting.
:goodpost: :bowdown:
Any reason you are getting your puppy so early? 9 weeks would be a minimum for a pet and a first time dog owner. 10-12 from an experienced breeder who will expose puppy to necessary stimuli would be better. 7-8 weeks is asking for some issues down the line.

laceybaby
Newborn Bully

Postby laceybaby » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Remember the basic grooming supplies, too: nail clippers, dog toothpaste, shampoo, brush.

Deuce
Newborn Bully

Postby Deuce » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:52 pm

lilangel wrote:Yeah, don't worry about a collar, when puppy arrives you might consider going with a harness. I never use collars on puppies until they mature a little and are like 9months to a year old. I'd spend most of my money on work to eat toys, ottoson puzzles, fetch toys, building obstacles to play on and most importantly, treats. Nothing else really matters. The "stuff" can all wait. I would feed the puppy by hand and begin establishing muscle memory for behaviors through luring. no bowl. The only thing he should get from a bowl is water. The food by hand is very important and turns the puppy's entire day into a learning experience. You can create the foundation for a bombproof recall from day 1. You can always tell how a puppy was raised by the way it responds to commands as an adult so do it right from day 1.

I thought 8 weeks was about normal? Maybe I just heard that somewhere and for some reason it stuck and I assumed that was about the age the puppy goes to the new owner. I will definitely double check on that and get that squared away.

Can you explain the feeding by hand a little bit more? Do I just reward him throughout the day for good behavior with a handful of dog food?

Can you recommend a couple different kinds of treats? Starrlamia mentioned freeze dried liver, any other recommendations or should I just try a bunch and see what works?

Thanks so much for all the help it is really appreciated!

Deuce
Newborn Bully

Postby Deuce » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:57 pm

laceybaby wrote:Remember the basic grooming supplies, too: nail clippers, dog toothpaste, shampoo, brush.

Ooooh, forgot about that! Thanks!

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:04 am

I really like the suggestion of a harness instead of a collar. Perhaps even a front clip harness. Also if you're interested, a couple of great books:

Before and After You Get Your Puppy by Ian Dunbar (You can buy both together or you can download Before You Get Your Puppy for free)
http://www.siriuspup.com/beforebook.html

Perfect Puppy in Seven Days by Sophia Yin (also ebook format)

http://drsophiayin.com/products/buy

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:42 am

Deuce wrote:

I thought 8 weeks was about normal? Maybe I just heard that somewhere and for some reason it stuck and I assumed that was about the age the puppy goes to the new owner. I will definitely double check on that and get that squared away.

Can you explain the feeding by hand a little bit more? Do I just reward him throughout the day for good behavior with a handful of dog food?

Can you recommend a couple different kinds of treats? Starrlamia mentioned freeze dried liver, any other recommendations or should I just try a bunch and see what works?

Thanks so much for all the help it is really appreciated!

Lots of breeders like to get rid of the pups around the 7-8 week mark because of diminished returns. The pups start to require a lot more time, money and energy for their proper care and socialization so breeders try to unload them at this time to their new homes to maximize profit and for the sake of sanity, skin and wardrobe. It is total BS.

For the hand feeding, if you are feeding kibble you can just load up some treat pouches or baggies every morning with your pup's daily ration and dole them out throughout the day when she is behaving in an appropriate manner. You can reward for so many things it will be very easy to use up a day's worth of kibble even if you went one at a time. You can begin luring obedience behaviors as well to lay down some foundation for future training. You should give small amounts like 1 or 2 kibbles as a reward, and you can jackpot with a few more but a whole handful is a lot to give at once unless you are doing recalls or something. In the case that you do find yourself low on time and left with a pouch full of kibble then yeah, sure, feed handfuls at a time. That is still way better than feeding from a bowl.

I like to use Natural Balance treat rolls. There are 3 or 4 different flavors and some organic versions as well. They come un large and small chubs like a sausage and you can cut them up into tiny pieces. They are balanced too so you can either feed them exclusively or add them to a reduced kibble ration. They are moist enough to be delectable and firm enough to not crumble. Freeze dried liver is good as are Zuke's mini naturals, dehydrates lamb lungs (ba ba ques) and a ton of other nutritious treats. Hotdogs are a tried and true standby but you have to be careful about how much you feed. Lots of salt, preservatives and such. I like to find turkey dogs or organic sausages. You can shop around and try different treats. I've experimented making my own baked treats out of cheese and beef and the dogs really go nuts for them but they are more labor intensive and a bit greasy. :mmm:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Lots of breeders like to get rid of the pups around the 7-8 week mark because of diminished returns. The pups start to require a lot more time, money and energy for their proper care and socialization so breeders try to unload them at this time to their new homes to maximize profit and for the sake of sanity, skin and wardrobe. It is total BS.

Developmentally, there's nothing wrong with sending a pup to its new home at 8 weeks, and I would not think less of any breeder that did so. While your points are all valid, and there are plenty of unscrupulous breeders whose motivation to move out a pup has nothing to do w/the pup's needs, that does not mean it is detrimental to a puppy.
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=139802

sindorei
Matured Bully

Postby sindorei » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Leslie H wrote:

Developmentally, there's nothing wrong with sending a pup to its new home at 8 weeks, and I would not think less of any breeder that did so. While your points are all valid, and there are plenty of unscrupulous breeders whose motivation to move out a pup has nothing to do w/the pup's needs, that does not mean it is detrimental to a puppy.

I agree with this. 49 days is the "Magic Number" in which you can evaluate pups for eventual purpose, so once that evaluation is done, there is no reason the pet kiddos can't go to their new homes immediately.

EVERYONE sells pups a 8 weeks. I have NEVER heard of a breeder, good or bad, putting 10 or 12 weeks as the minimum. What breeds/breeders/species are you looking at?

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:41 am

Leslie H wrote:

Your link backs up my point actually. Sure, if the owner is experienced with puppies then 8-9 weeks is no problem but I am of the opinion that the breeder should be doing the important first work with those pups as they know exactly how those pups are developing as individuals. There is no reason other than greed and laziness that the breeder cannot continue the socialization process that she should have been armpits deep in already. When a breeder ships out pups at 49 or 56 days some of those pups could be a week or more behind in development. Then breeder just evaluated a litter and made placement selections and a week or 10 days later all the pups are acting differently and breeder has a real pucker moment when she realizes she sent monsters to live with first time owners with 3 kids. I've seen this more than a few times. Lo and behold breeder gets half the litter shipped back when they hit 18 months. You get into problems when you say this number day is the exact day I can evaluate the litter. It doesn't necessarily work like that.

sindorei
Matured Bully

Postby sindorei » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:02 am

lilangel wrote:Lo and behold breeder gets half the litter shipped back when they hit 18 months.

Breeders (reputable breeders) getting dogs back, much less MANY dogs back, at 18 months, is absurd.

You keep saying no one should sell pups at 7 weeks, yet everyone does, and with a few tragic exceptions, everything works out fine. Iv never heard of even reputable breeders hanging on to pups til 12 weeks, and Iv never heard of reputable breeders consistantly getting half their litters back at any age, for any reason. And yet all these people sell pups off promptly at 8 weeks. Or 7. Or 7 and 3 days. Whenever they happen to get to the airport.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:45 am

Hey, genius, are you arguing just to argue or do you fail to notice that the OP is a first time puppy owner and it sure appears that he is a first time dog owner? If you want to follow me around and squabble then at least pick your battles wisely so as not to confuse newbies.

Everyone's selling puppies at 7 weeks? Or do you mean your friends who mass produce low drive hippo dogs that would not be able to act out if they wanted to?

yes I did.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”