Muzzle 101?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Muzzle 101?

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:07 am

I tried to look around to see what info I can get on muzzles. I've heard some muzzles can hurt your dog. I've heard that it can be a great tool to avoid a bad situation. But i still want to learn all I can before buying one and putting it on Buddy.

Now my reason in looking into it is because Buddy is very reactive to dogs. I would like to be able to take Buddy inside the vet's office and sit down, but I wont do it now just incase someones dog gets to close to Buddy and he reacts badly. I would like to be able to go to Petsmart/Petco and not worry about a dog or my dog being hurt. I want to make sure you know that Buddy enjoys these places, he does not stress and doesn't dislikes going to these places, he just reacts when dogs get to close sometimes.

Questions:
Am I getting a muzzle for the right reasons?
Will he hurt himself with a muzzle?
What kind of muzzle would seem best for him?
How do I train him to become comfortable with a muzzle?

If anyone who has muzzle experience would like to tell me all about muzzles, that would be great.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Muzzle 101?

Postby MarMar » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:57 pm

If you feel your dog is a danger to other dogs, I think it is a good idea to at least get him used to a muzzle to wear in situations where its possible he may come into contact with dogs. I don't know your dog so I can't say if taking him into Petco or whatever is a good idea. IF other dogs make him react upon sight then this is probably a bad idea. Wearing the muzzle might prevent injury but its not going to help your dog make progress in reactivity, unless you are using it in a controlled situation.

Here is a great video on introducing a muzzle to your dog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FABgZTFvHo

As far as what type, you would be looking for a cage muzzle. I have several types:

So far this one is my favorite. It is secure and durable:
http://www.dogmuzzle.com/wirbasdogmuz6.html
However, it is hard and can be difficult to fit treats through

I also have a Jafco, which I am not crazy about the fit on, its maybe better for pointier faced dog. Also I cannot get treats through it. But its secure.
http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-trainin ... _rewrite=1

I have a leather one from Hot Dogs All Dressed
http://www.hotdogsalldressed.com/index. ... 81&lang=en
Which is very nice, you can get in all colours (Marlo's even has little flowers on it). Again I'm not crazy about the fit (Marlo has a funny shaped head) but its comfy and soft and you can get food through it.

I have a couple of Baskerville Plastic but really I've only liked these for pointy dogs. I think they make a snubby nosed dog version but I've never tried it. I really like this one for my sheppy though.
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/produ ... zzle-range

Baskerville has a brand new muzzle which I am VERY excited about.
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/produ ... tra-muzzle
Its not as nice looking as some others, but its supposed to be very secure, but soft (a rubbery Kong type material) and easy to feed through. There has been some concern regarding if dogs can bite even with it on, or bite through it, but all of the reviews I've heard from people using it have been positive. Mine is on order!

Hope this helps!

Mortis
Super Bully

Postby Mortis » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:01 pm

i use headcollars on my dogs instead of muzzles, i would describe my dogs in a similar way to how you described buddy.

when i first got my dogs i decided to use muzzles for the safety of other dogs first i tried the plastic basket type so they could pant etc when exercising but after a while parts of the plastic bars broke off. so then i got the softer fabric ones they really weren't keen they make panting difficult and keep the jaws closed.

i found though that the muzzles made mine more aggressive, i think it was because they know they have no way to defend themselves so they get more reactive.

i changed one of my dogs to the headcollar (he has fear aggression) after his basket muzzle started to break, as i thought it would help him walk on the lead better (he had A LOT of issues when i first got him). it helped me to train him and if he did get reactive it would hold his mouth shut and i could redirect his head and get him to focus.
i have only recently started to try one with gunner and have already seen a vast improvement in his behaviour i also like the headcollars as i think muzzles give more of a "crazy pitbull" impression.

since the headcollars i can now do fun things with them like events etc which would have been impossible before. thought i would just give you another option.

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 pm

That video was perfect. So easy and simple that I know i could follow through with it. Thanks so much for showing that to me. My favorite one would be the leather one, its exactly what I had in mind, I hope I can buy their muzzle online soon, it says it will be "coming soon."

I just want to sit in the vets office instead of waiting in the hot or cold weather or sitting in the car, and not have to worry. I would like to go to dog walk a thons. By what the video said, I shouldn't only put it on him on certain occasions, i could have him wear it during his walks that he enjoys and other things like that. His bad reactions are caused by obnoxious dogs barking at him or dogs that get very close(sniffing butt close) As long as a dog isnt doing that to him, he feels fine and acts interested and pulls a bit but continues to follow me or boyfriend and does a good job of minding us.

And im not sure about a head collar, I cant help but feel that he is still capable of biting. even if he isnt, I know I would be able to pull him away faster, but then I would feel bad if I might hurt his neck because im talking about close contact reactions, i need to be able to pull fast and hard away from the other dog. I feel like with proper training and consitant use of the muzzle with positivity, Im sure Buddy will react to it comfortably than more agressive.

Im also not worried about anyone thinking my pitbull is "crazy." lol I just wanna keep my dog safe and others safe and if people want to be judgemental towards Buddy and me, so be it. :)

pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Is there a reason for choosing a muzzle over training? I know dog selective/aggressive dogs who have gone through classes specifically for this issue including myself and my dog. I would choose these classes over a muzzle any day. In fact we will be going back as my Buddy's old age seems to be making his training disappear and or he is becoming mildly deaf. The classes are great and teach you how to manage the aggressiveness and not have to worry about a muzzle which can sometimes make a dog more insecure about the situation.

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:06 pm

pitbullgirlbc wrote:Is there a reason for choosing a muzzle over training? I know dog selective/aggressive dogs who have gone through classes specifically for this issue including myself and my dog. I would choose these classes over a muzzle any day. In fact we will be going back as my Buddy's old age seems to be making his training disappear and or he is becoming mildly deaf. The classes are great and teach you how to manage the aggressiveness and not have to worry about a muzzle which can sometimes make a dog more insecure about the situation.

The only "classes" in my area is Petsmart.. Not only do I doubt that they have the right methods specifically for my dogs case, I also havent heard such great things about the trainers from people on this forum. I plan on seeing a bahaviorist soon, but right now i can't.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:07 pm

MarMar wrote:I also have a Jafco, which I am not crazy about the fit on, its maybe better for pointier faced dog. Also I cannot get treats through it. But its secure.

The clear one is one of my favorite when working with aggression being present, due to the fact that I can see the facial tension in the dog, it is a light weight muzzle and the dog can pant.Treats cannot go though it with precision,but the tip of a cheese spray can sure can, and some rolled jerky.

Something on the use of a muzzle...often people who own dogs with behavioral problems get a muzzle as a quick fix, which is absolutely not the way to go, if this is all the owner is going to do.While the dog might be safer with people or other dogs and it is responsible to make use of a muzzle in certain situation, the dog can also make attempts of biting whether the muzzle is there or not. Practicing unwanted behaviors over and over only make those behaviors stronger and more resistant to extinction, along with the underlying problem remaining the same. An owner feeling safer and putting the dog in the wrong situation is not going to benefit from the use of a muzzle ,in the long run. The owner MUST also make sure that the dog is never harmed or approached in an incorrect manner by another dog. The fact that the dog cannot defend himself/herself would be very detrimental to behavior modification and counter conditioning.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:29 am

Red wrote:
MarMar wrote:I also have a Jafco, which I am not crazy about the fit on, its maybe better for pointier faced dog. Also I cannot get treats through it. But its secure.

The clear one is one of my favorite when working with aggression being present, due to the fact that I can see the facial tension in the dog, it is a light weight muzzle and the dog can pant.Treats cannot go though it with precision,but the tip of a cheese spray can sure can, and some rolled jerky.

That's a really good point about the clear Jafco one. I have the white one so I can't see through it :(

Slightly OT but I can't get squeeze cheese here :( I guess a food tube might work! I bought some Kong stuffing in an aerosol can but Marlo is afeared of it and doesn't like the taste of it that much.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:59 am

The clear plastic Jafco muzzles do seem to have a narrower shape and are made of a more flexible plastic with smaller holes. I use the Jafco opaque white or opaque black ones at work, size 3 fits most pit bulls quite well and they are pretty boxy. They also have an optional forehead strap for extra security. But yes, they are not easy to see through at all. But with the bigger holes you can more easily feed treats. For safety purposes, these are my very favorite, but for training where you need to observe, perhaps not so much.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Red wrote:

Something on the use of a muzzle...often people who own dogs with behavioral problems get a muzzle as a quick fix, which is absolutely not the way to go, if this is all the owner is going to do.While the dog might be safer with people or other dogs and it is responsible to make use of a muzzle in certain situation, the dog can also make attempts of biting whether the muzzle is there or not. Practicing unwanted behaviors over and over only make those behaviors stronger and more resistant to extinction, along with the underlying problem remaining the same. An owner feeling safer and putting the dog in the wrong situation is not going to benefit from the use of a muzzle ,in the long run. The owner MUST also make sure that the dog is never harmed or approached in an incorrect manner by another dog. The fact that the dog cannot defend himself/herself would be very detrimental to behavior modification and counter conditioning.

Right, I understand. I do understand that I need to help Buddy feel better around other dogs along with the muzzle other than just putting him in stressful situations and letting him continue his unwanted behaviors. As of now, I wouldnt force him into going to an event such as a walk-a-thon, muzzle or not. And I realize how important it is that he isnt approached or harmed by another dog incorrectly. I would be furious with myself if I had his muzzle on, and he was attacked by another dog and he was almost helpless because of the muzzle. Thats why i still question getting the muzzle, if we were on a walk or at the vets, and a off leashed dog approaches and attacks Buddy and hes helpless.

trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby trip8581 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:45 pm

I need to buy 2 muzzles for my Rain & Roc for my move to Ireland. I would like to buy them prior to my move, so that I can get them used to them. I do not want to spend a ton of money on them as we do not go out too much since my dogs are older, so they would just be needed for short walks around town.

Has anyone used either of these muzzles -
http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Basket-Mu ... B000FEK934

http://www.amazon.com/Basket-Cage-Dog-M ... d_sim_ol_2

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:16 pm

I have the first one you posted too Sarah, not fond of it, too narrow. If you are coming close to this area for some reasons you are welcome to try it.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:53 am

Grisha Stewart has some really nice muzzles on the way that you can pre-order through her site:

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=MCH-0170

I haven't tried them yet but I will be one of the first.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:17 pm

lilangel wrote:Grisha Stewart has some really nice muzzles on the way that you can pre-order through her site:

Please let me know what you think as soon as you get one.Saw them the other day.
I'd need to know how flexible the front part is, since dogs can manage to bite by pushing into the front plastic, bend it, and grab at least some skin with the front teeth. Some of the basket muzzles made of soft plastic are not that safe.Hopefully this one is sturdier.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:14 pm

lilangel wrote:Grisha Stewart has some really nice muzzles on the way that you can pre-order through her site:

Yup that's the one I mentioned at the end of my post also. I've already ordered it but it'll probably be a while before it gets here.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”