Does anyone use the Walky Dog

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
NYPDiddy
Newborn Bully

Does anyone use the Walky Dog

Postby NYPDiddy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 am

Does anyone use the walky dog... im hooking mine up to my bike tomorrow... my bike is getting fixxed it looks cool. any tips or suggestions?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re: Does anyone use the Walky Dog

Postby Libby » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:16 pm

I do!

I suggest having a back up leash on your dog, and starting out slow and easy so you and your dog can adjust to the bike/dog combo!

NYPDiddy
Newborn Bully

Postby NYPDiddy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:04 pm

what do you mean by back up leash.. on her at the same time or just incase u have to walk her??

Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby Apbt4life » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:13 pm

this thread is very very helpful
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37081&hilit=biking

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 pm

If you are a decent bike rider then you don't really need a walky dog to bike with the dogs. I used to live in NYC and biked 10-20 miles most days with 2 dogs on harnesses and leashes that I held in my hand. Eventually I started using a carabiner that I clipped to my belt and held the slack in my hand when we were in tight spots and it allowed the dogs lots of space in central or prospect park etc. If you introduce the bike riding slowly and in a positive way the dogs will learn to keep your pace and to stay close so you don't really need to think about it too much. It is safer than having them attached to the bike, especially in the city.

laceybaby
Newborn Bully

Postby laceybaby » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:33 pm

I use it for my dog and love it! I also use a back up leash. She has a harness with both a back and front leash attachment ring, so I put the walky dog on her back ring and the leash on her front ring.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 pm

I attach the walky dog leash to a harness, and a six foot leash to a flat buckle collar.

chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby chelsea00133 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:27 pm

I use the Walky dog, I really like it. I do the same as Libby, I have the walky dog attached to a harness on the dog, and a leash attached to the collar(flat buckle collar) on the dog, which I hold in my hand. :)

Dizzy
Adolescent Bully

Postby Dizzy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:43 pm

I wrote a blog recently about biking with my reactive dog, Rubi. We use the walky dog, and have been pretty please with it so far. here's a link to the blog post:

http://rollinwithrubi.blogspot.com/2011 ... movin.html

maciek
Newborn Bully

Postby maciek » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:11 pm

ive been using a walky dog on a harness plus leash on flat collar daily for a looong....Had to replace the rope on the walky dog once (it rubs on the plastic and tears after a while). I would definitely recommend using a leash on the collar as well unless you have a 100% perfectly behaving dog. you don't have much control with just a harness the dog could easily pull you and the whole bike with him if they REAAALLLY wanted something - much harder with a collar+leash as well.

NYPDiddy
Newborn Bully

Postby NYPDiddy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Yea had soooooo much trouble she went nuts. There were dogs out everywhere. I didn't even know there were that many in my area. She was running all over. Turning around stopping pulling.

Once I would stop it was nearly impossible to get going. I had to put her on the leash and pretty much drag the bike home. She was way to distracted

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Try walking the bike with her on the walky dog a few times first, and keep the spare leash hooked to her collar too. You may have to teach her to ignore distractions, such as stray/loose/other dogs during regular walks before you can bike with her. That was my biggest thing with Umah when we first started biking.

NYPDiddy
Newborn Bully

Postby NYPDiddy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Libby wrote:Try walking the bike with her on the walky dog a few times first, and keep the spare leash hooked to her collar too. You may have to teach her to ignore distractions, such as stray/loose/other dogs during regular walks before you can bike with her. That was my biggest thing with Umah when we first started biking.

Yea def. It's def gonna take some work

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:45 pm

I bought one to use with Harry this summer, but he passed away before I hooked it up to my bike. A coworker has a young Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, so I gave it to her. She loves it and says it's a lifesaver.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”