Toy recommendations?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Magnanimous Matt
Newborn Bully

Toy recommendations?

Postby Magnanimous Matt » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Georgia can be the definition of the word "Destructive" when it comes to toys. Tennis balls are one of her favorites but they're ruined in about 20-30 seconds each. The long fluffy squeak toys are her #1 favorite but FORGET ABOUT IT... She could destroy a barrel full in the time that it takes her to destroy one tennis ball lol

Any good toy recommendations for toys that will last? I really need to get her some new things to play with but every time I buy her a toy I give it to her and almost immediately feel like I may as well have flushed the money down the toilet.
Right now the longest lasting thing I can give to her is soda bottles which she does well with but they're something she'll only play with for maybe an hour a week.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Toy recommendations?

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Crazy Critters are stuffingless toys with squeakers, they last me about a few weeks.

I've heard great things about Gought Nuts.
http://goughnuts.com/

patty

Postby patty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:14 pm

Our extreme chewers like the Goughnut and Nylabones

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:22 am

Our Jolly ball has lasted a long time but if given the chance, the dogs will try to chew off the handle so they only get it when supervised.

Also, I wait until volleyballs and soccer balls go on sale at walmart and stock up!!

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Jolly balls, both the "squishy" rubber type and the hard plastic type. Kong or planet dog balls... I procured 3 medium sized planet dog balls at an event yesterday for 2.50 each, made my day! Traffic cones... make sure you wash first, and I wouldn't let them chew on them excessively, but for tug and tossing around the yard, they're sturdy and fun- you want the ones with the more "rubbery"- less like hard plastic texture. If your dog isn't the type to eat what they destroy, you can get stuffies from a thrift store or yard sale (I've bought a couple big/bulky stuffies like this, and my dogs have enjoyed systematically destroying them), just supervise to make sure they don't eat anything they shouldn't. They also sell stuffies that come stuffing-free, but I don't see the point in buying them like that when my dogs do a fine job removing it, I just throw it out and give them back the "skin". When I have a shirt or old pair of pants that becomes unwearable, I cut it into strips and braid/twist them into tug ropes- free, and since they destroy them anyway, less $ wasted.

My advice would be to get some "indestructible"/hard to destroy chews and treat dispensing toys to leave down, and then only give the less durable toys when you're actively playing with her, and keep her busy enough that she can't sit down to destroy them. I really only have one toy destroyer right now, and he has a couple kongs and food dispensing balls out in my room, the frisbees, tennis balls, and stuffies are all put up anytime I'm not actively playing with him.

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Postby afrikaPB » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:36 pm

For the easily destroyed toys, whenever I go to a thrift store or garage sale I buy a bunch of stuffed animal for like $.25 apiece. I've heard good things about Galileo bones.

MyTinkerbully
Newborn Bully

Postby MyTinkerbully » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Tink is an extreme chewer, but will only chew her toys. Galileo bones and nylabones last the longest. She also has a black kong that I like to put peanut butter in. I have to watch her with stuffed things. When we had our last dog, we bought him one of those toy tires. It said it was for extreme chewers, but he had it in pieces in minutes and it really, really stunk. Never again will I buy one of those. I tried getting Tink a tug rope, but she'd rather chew up the rope than tug it.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Goughnuts

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Nylabones and black kongs here, my dogs really don't care about my goughnuts toy. For non chewing/interactive toys I like Jolly Balls (http://www.jollypets.com/html/JollyPets-Where.html), Boomer Balls(http://boomerball.com/), Tuffy Dog toys (http://www.tuffydogtoy.com/) , and Kong wobblers (http://www.kongcompany.com/).

GoughNuts
Newborn Bully

Postby GoughNuts » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Great Extreme chew chat!!!! If your dog has destroyed others it is probably safe to say, "your dog needs a GoughNut!" Some dogs will take a whole year trying to destroy a Goughnut, some will give up. If your dog needs to be able to destroy to stay interested, please try one of our puzzles as seen on the web site. Some dogs are just plain persistent power chews and some want the owner to participate in the fun. The GoughNuts company is 5 years old this year. We have worked hard, had some fun and have learned a lot from discussions similar to this one. Safety is the name of the deal as if it is not fun for dog or dog owner without safety.

My dog Buster loves his Cannoli as he is not a power chewer but sure likes a challenge of removing a treat. He also likes to hold his stick in his mouth like a cigar, make a few laps around the yard and then looks for a place to hide it. Buster has zero interest in our other products. It simply is a situation of finding a toy, a safe toy, that your dog enjoys.

Have a great weekend and thank you very much for all your support.

Amy

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”