elevated feeder

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
kendecost
Newborn Bully

elevated feeder

Postby kendecost » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Few weeks ago I made a new elevated feeder for my pup.
Let me know what you think.

sorry for the huge pictures

ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: elevated feeder

Postby ilovetyson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:58 am

That's awesome! I been trying to look for a Single bowl elevated thing like that.. For there water bowl Lol I wish I had the tools to make something like that! good job!

christina
Newborn Bully

Postby christina » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:03 am

First, that looks gorgeous and it's a GREAT piece of workmanship.

And then, despite the fact that I hate being a total Debbie Downer, you might want to look into some of the research that suggest strongly that elevated feeding stations increase the risk of gastric torsion. I know I used to feed my dogs from elevated bowls and I did notice less gas and belching after I put their food back on the floor (well, the bowl back on the floor).

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

christina wrote:First, that looks gorgeous and it's a GREAT piece of workmanship.

And then, despite the fact that I hate being a total Debbie Downer, you might want to look into some of the research that suggest strongly that elevated feeding stations increase the risk of gastric torsion. I know I used to feed my dogs from elevated bowls and I did notice less gas and belching after I put their food back on the floor (well, the bowl back on the floor).

It is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!

I have read that as well about elevated bowls.

ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm

I have never read anything bout elevated bowls. Jade eats elevated and has for a cpl yrs now. And less gas and stuff with it up.. then I recall of it being on the floor. Tyson ate elevated for most of his life, and never had issues. :-/

kendecost
Newborn Bully

Postby kendecost » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Thank you all for the compliments.
I will look into it, I too believe I noticed less issues with his food being raised. I appreciate the heads up.

Thanks again!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Maybe I'm wrong but I think there's evidence to support both sides of that argument.

It's beautiful :)

I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby I<3mypit » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:29 pm

That is very nice!

I think it really comes down to opinion on the subject of raised feeders. I prefer raised bowls for both my dogs, less gas and less strain on them....Just my opinion though.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:14 am

THAT is an awesome looking elevated feeder :inlove: :inlove: Most of the ones I see are pretty ugly and the ones I that I think look really nice are usually priced more than I want to spend lol You did a really great job :thumbsup:

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Maybe I'm wrong but I think there's evidence to support both sides of that argument.

I think I have read equal amounts pros vs cons on elevated feeders from breed specific to non-breed specific sources. At the end of it all, I threw my hands up in the air (after several weeks of research) and decided on timing eating/activity to make me feel less worried about the possibility of Molly getting bloat lol

xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Postby xKayleighx » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:27 am

mtlu wrote:THAT is an awesome looking elevated feeder :inlove: :inlove: Most of the ones I see are pretty ugly and the ones I that I think look really nice are usually priced more than I want to spend lol You did a really great job :thumbsup:

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Maybe I'm wrong but I think there's evidence to support both sides of that argument.

I think I have read equal amounts pros vs cons on elevated feeders from breed specific to non-breed specific sources. At the end of it all, I threw my hands up in the air (after several weeks of research) and decided on timing eating/activity to make me feel less worried about the possibility of Molly getting bloat lol

I have also read evidence to support both sides and finally called around to several different vets and they all said that they have read the latest research and they still suggested elevated feeders.
Soooo Bruce has an elevated feeder. I mostly just try to keep him calm and relaxed before and after feeding. He has a really deep chest so in the future I'll really be a stickler for this.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:06 pm

The Dane that I dog-walk has wobblers so he uses an elevated food dish. I can't remember whether they did a gastro-pexy when he was neutered or not.

Either way, bloat is a pretty serious concern for a great Dane but the vets at the Ontario vet college recommended elevated feeding.

kendecost
Newborn Bully

Postby kendecost » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:07 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:The Dane that I dog-walk has wobblers so he uses an elevated food dish. I can't remember whether they did a gastro-pexy when he was neutered or not.

Either way, bloat is a pretty serious concern for a great Dane but the vets at the Ontario vet college recommended elevated feeding.

Good to know. The wifes parents have two danes, one is getting up there in age and looks like he is having a hard time bending over to get his food and water. I have been thinking about making them some as well. Now I think I will. Ill also have them see what their vet recommends.

Again, thanks for all the compliments!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:55 pm

It's beautiful :)

X3

I believe the only definite thing from both sides of that argument is the effect exercise has prior to and after feeding in relation to bloat.

I think the suggestion of feeding elevated is the more recent side :dunno:

My parents did everything "right" and still lost one of their GSD's to bloat.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:21 am

If you ever decide to start selling them, let me know. I've been looking for a nice one for ages and I LOVE yours.

El Jefe
Newborn Bully

Postby El Jefe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:15 am

^Agreed. I want one! It is absolutely stunning. You are very talented.

What species of wood is it made from?

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”