Tie out stakes... ?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Sanddi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Tie out stakes... ?

Postby Sanddi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Brainstorm with me here.
I want to go to Louisiana with my husband for a week. I cannot afford to board them for a week nor does my husband feel comfortable having a stranger come in our house. (the only person who lives close to us is my mother in law and she's HIGHLY allergic to animals)
My mother has said she can keep them but we'll have to figure out something for potty breaks. She lives in the country and has no fence. Without building a fence (because that's kind of expensive too...), would tie out stakes work? They're not going to stay out there... this would just be for potty breaks and outside time. They would be watched at all times... this just seems like the easiest thing to do.
I am open to other suggestions as well.

Curly_07

Re: Tie out stakes... ?

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:03 pm

When I take the girls down to my moms farm(FL), I take stakes with me for them to play and potty on while I'm working with the horses/birds/cows/whatever and can't hold a leash at the time. Just make sure you get ones with a good swivel on it so the chain doesn't get tangled up, and make sure they have a good sturdy collar on with a heavy duty buckle. Depending on the weight of the dog you may need a bigger/longer swivel than the ones you find at the generic pet stores. I don't see a problem with what you are wanting to do, as long as it's just for potty/outside breaks and not a 24/7 thing while you are gone.

Oh, also check your county laws on tethering! My moms county just passed a no tethering law unless you are there directly supervising and it's for no more then 30 mins or an hour(can't remember). I've heard of many other places starting to pass no tethering laws.

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:25 pm

I have no issue with tie outs as long as they are supervised and not left out for long periods of time. Tie outs are a great resource when you don't have a fence and can't walk multiples at one time!

Sanddi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sanddi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Heather9603 wrote:I have no issue with tie outs as long as they are supervised and not left out for long periods of time. Tie outs are a great resource when you don't have a fence and can't walk multiples at one time!

This is what I was thinking. My mom wouldn't mind walking one... or even two.. but can you imagine how long it would take just to take FOUR on a potty break?! hahaha
Only ONE can be trusted to come back... and this is a house only one of them has been to.. So it would be SO much fun to explore. Yeah, no.

Good. I was hoping this was a decent idea. I don't know what else she could do...

I did a google search about anti tethering laws in her county but nothing came up. Hopefully it won't be an issue. :D

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Sounds good! Home Depot, if you have one nearby, has the supplies to make a good chain spot/tether for pretty cheap. That's what I ended up doing because the ones I got at the pet stores kept getting tangled up and a couple just didn't feel that sturdy to me. You just need a good swivel stake thing, a swivel to hook on the top of it, a good chain, and a good collar. Nothing worse than a chicken or something running by and the dog pulling the wimpy stake up to get the tasty chicken!

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Yeah I'd go for the kind that you pound into the ground and not the twist ones. Those twist ones always get yanked out!

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Actually the one I use is like the green one in the middle.

Sanddi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sanddi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Oh good! I was thinking the twist ones would work better. I've never done this before so clearly, I wouldn't know. haha
Thank you for telling me that. I now know to avoid them and get the more spadeish ones.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Heather9603 wrote:Actually the one I use is like the green one in the middle.

Actually years ago my 25 pound pup pulled up the twist stake in about 10 minutes and I then tried the green type which lasted about an hour but she still pulled it up and bent it. These dogs are strong!

There is an orange color "big dog" stake from Wal Mart that I am told is very strong and should work ok for a short time. I just looked and found this link to it --

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Failsafe-Prod ... t/10317744

Be sure to use heavy duty hardware, swivels, snaps, chain, etc. as pit bulls are so strong they can break or bend stuff most dogs cannot.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:36 am

Curly_07 wrote:Sounds good! Home Depot, if you have one nearby, has the supplies to make a good chain spot/tether for pretty cheap. That's what I ended up doing because the ones I got at the pet stores kept getting tangled up and a couple just didn't feel that sturdy to me. You just need a good swivel stake thing, a swivel to hook on the top of it, a good chain, and a good collar. Nothing worse than a chicken or something running by and the dog pulling the wimpy stake up to get the tasty chicken!

Do you have pics to post? Or could you take a few? I'd love to see the rig all done up.

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:05 am

turtle wrote:
Heather9603 wrote:Actually the one I use is like the green one in the middle.

Actually years ago my 25 pound pup pulled up the twist stake in about 10 minutes and I then tried the green type which lasted about an hour but she still pulled it up and bent it. These dogs are strong!

There is an orange color "big dog" stake from Wal Mart that I am told is very strong and should work ok for a short time. I just looked and found this link to it --

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Failsafe-Prod ... t/10317744

Be sure to use heavy duty hardware, swivels, snaps, chain, etc. as pit bulls are so strong they can break or bend stuff most dogs cannot.

Maybe mine is just way far in there, because I've had two boxers pulling at the same time and not manage to get it out. But we also have gross hard as a rock ground (Poor top soil) and its been in the same spot for like two years haha.

But we have one of those orange ones (Left her by previous owners) But we dug it up and never used it.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 am

For another good choice, a friend suggested using Earth Anchors from Tractor Supply, he suggested the 30 inch one --

http://www.tractorsupply.com/harvest-30 ... er-3610008

Looks like a good choice and those are only $9.99.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:41 am

We've tried the corkscrew looking ones for our dogs, and they NEVER work. No matter how big we go. For us our ground is just too soft...we wanted to use them in the front yard while we were out there hanging out, or washing the car or something like that. Now we have 550 cord (braided) tied to a leash and we use one of the tires of the car to wrap it around so it's anchored pretty well. It isn't pretty but it works. Sandii, do you know if where your mom lives the ground is soft? There are people who fill a 5 lb bucket with cement, burry it and hook some sort of chain spot up to that, would that work for you guys?

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:19 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:
Curly_07 wrote:Sounds good! Home Depot, if you have one nearby, has the supplies to make a good chain spot/tether for pretty cheap. That's what I ended up doing because the ones I got at the pet stores kept getting tangled up and a couple just didn't feel that sturdy to me. You just need a good swivel stake thing, a swivel to hook on the top of it, a good chain, and a good collar. Nothing worse than a chicken or something running by and the dog pulling the wimpy stake up to get the tasty chicken!

Do you have pics to post? Or could you take a few? I'd love to see the rig all done up.

Actually I don't have any pics. They are still in FL in the ground lol Where my mom is, it's very hard red clay/dirt and it took us forever to get those stupid things in the ground. I wasn't about to pull em up and have to do it again. They have held up over the last 3 years with my visits and her dogs occasionally use them. I can try and go to Home Depot to take pics of the stuff I used to make it. Not sure if that would help. I also used 10 ft chains.

I do use the swivel type of stake. I want to say it's about 1.5 ft in the ground. I've never had a issue with it coming out or getting loose. I did have issues with the shorter ones (9 inches or so long) that I got from walmart and Petsmart coming out/bending.

MkatUmich
Newborn Bully

Postby MkatUmich » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:24 am

I had a heavy duty twist one that worked fine for my old dog and she was a pretty strong 50 lb pit. But like I said, this one was pretty big and heavy duty. The bigger problems was her breaking the lines or even her collar. Those ones with the plastic snaps wouldn't hold at all, had to get her a thick leather one. Also had to replace her line every once in awhile because eventually she would just snap it. Kind of surprised she never hurt herself, occasionally she would see something and give chase, then she hits the end of the line and you see her back legs fly up as she got twisted around.

Eventually bought my own house so I could put up a fence for her but I used the stake for years.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”